Comodo Cleaning Essentials 2.3.219500.176 (Updated)

Status
Not open for further replies.

win7holic

Thread author
Apr 20, 2011
Comodo Cleaning Essentials (CCE) is a set of powerful security tools designed to help users identify and remove malware and unsafe processes from Windows computers. Designed as a portable application, the software requires no installation and can be run directly from removable media such as a USB key.

CCE consists of two core technologies:

* KillSwitch - an advanced system monitoring tool that allows users to identify, monitor and stop potentially unsafe processes that are running on endpoint systems. Uniquely for a product of its type, KillSwitch leverages Comodo's huge whitelist database to isolate untrusted processes with an extremely high degree of accuracy – improving IT operational efficiency by reducing false positives and cutting the amount of time spent troubleshooting an endpoint machine.
* Malware scanner – fully featured malware scanner capable of unearthing and removing viruses, rootkits, hidden files and malicious registry keys hidden deep within a system. The scanner is highly configurable, uses the latest heuristic techniques to detect previously unknown viruses, features first-class malware removal capabilities and is capable of detecting hidden drivers and services loaded during system start-up.

Download: Comodo Cleaning Essentials 32-bit | (22.7 MB) Freeware
Download: Comodo Cleaning Essentials 64-bit | (24.4 MB) Freeware
View: Homepage

The download links Updated, thanks littlebits

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
RE: Comodo Cleaning Essentials 2.3.218833.175

Can anyone point me in the direction of a changelog?

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011

MrXidus said:
Can anyone point me in the direction of a changelog?
There wasn't released a changelog yet as COMODO didn't officially announced this build yet..... Basically COMODO uploaded the new builds on the server and some guys published the download links... Changelog should come soon.
Still wonder why CCE is in the Small to Medium Business section.....Nevertheless I love this tool:D

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011

Is this a final release or is it still in beta?

I wonder why is CCE filed under Enterprise Security Solutions instead of Home User?
Download Link on Homepage

Requires you to fill out a form to download but is offered at MajorGeeks without having to fill out anything.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download6958.html (32-bit)
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download6959.html (64-bit)

Both download links on MajorGeeks give an "404 Not Found" error page.
I already reported broken links to MajorGeeks.

As far as I know CCE is not offered at any of the other download sites only on Comodo Forums, very strange. It looks like Comodo only makes it available for Comodo Forum members and Enterprise users.

When I get some time I will try this new version and see if the issues are resolved on it.

Thanks. :)

Edit: Download links on the Comodo Forums is also dead, I guess Comodo remove them.

win7holic

Thread author
Apr 20, 2011

You just download ,on link at my post ,littlebits. :)
and, about
"I wonder why is CCE filed under Enterprise Security Solutions instead of Home User?"
because, KillSwitch - an advanced system monitoring tool that allows users to identify, monitor and stop potentially unsafe processes that are running on endpoint systems.

MrXidus

Apr 17, 2011

Both the links in post #1 were working about 5 minutes ago, I know because I downloaded both x32 & x64. Now they are dead.

win7holic

Thread author
Apr 20, 2011

lucky me, I got it when I post this thread.

CHeers MrXidus.

MrXidus

Apr 17, 2011

Well in that case. If these downloads don't get restored and you would like to have them.

Message me and I can upload it to Mediafire.

win7holic

Thread author
Apr 20, 2011

I think, it will restored tomorrow. or, couple days more.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011

win7holic said:
404 not found ,littlebits
the link is same with post#1

Check the links I just posted they are working again. If they don't work the first time, keep trying.

Sometimes you might have to click several times to get them to work.

Maybe Comodo is having problems with their servers.

Thanks.:D

win7holic

Thread author
Apr 20, 2011

Yes. it work. and my download speed is normally. No problem with Comodo servers.
thanks littlebits. ;)

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
I gave it a little test, the Comodo Auto Run Analyzer uses the source code of Microsoft Sysinternals Autoruns which is not open-source, looks like Comodo has violated another license code- http://forum.sysinternals.com/autoruns-and...114.html#131114 . The developers don't seam to be very happy about it.

Although it does have a better GUI and rating, it is much slower than Sysinternals Autoruns. Meanwhile Killswitch still appears to use Process Hackers source code even though Comodo says they made it from scratch.

The scanner still takes forever to update signature database. In fact I could almost finish two complete scans with other removal tools in the time it takes CCE to update signatures.

Other removal tools like Kaspersky Removal Tool, McAfee Avert Stinger , Norman Malware Cleaner, Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool, Microsoft Safety Scanner and Dr. Web CureIT already include the latest signatures because you never have to wait to run a scan.

So I'm not very impressed with CCE due the number of high false positives. So the only way to tell is to upload them using VT Uploader to get the correct assessment.

Resource wise, it slows down my system with high cpu cycles and also the large amount of memory is consumed. For example Sysinternals Autoruns only takes less than 5MB of memory compared to Autoruns Analyzer which consumed above 70MB in my system. I'm not sure its being a specific case.

Emsisoft Emergency Kit, Process Hacker, Sysinternals Autoruns and VT Uploader makes a much better manual removal tool setup. Malwarebytes is excellent for most rogueware which accounts for about 95% or more infections, Kaspersky TDSSKiller and Microsoft Safety Scanner are excellent scanners and don't require signature updates.

I can't believe that some users are making removal guides with CCE as the main removal tool.
It is very apparent that it is still in beta testing, buggy, full of false positives, slow and is having license issues with both Microsoft Sysinternals and Process Hacker.

I can remember back when IObit violated Malwarebytes license and everyone slammed them real hard for it. But it's ok for Comodo to do the same to Process Hacker and Microsoft Sysinternals as IObit did to MBAM and get away with it?

Thanks.:D

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
Littlebits said:
I can remember back when IObit violated Malwarebytes license and everyone slammed them real hard for it. But it's ok for Comodo to do the same to Process Hacker and Microsoft Sysinternals as IObit did to MBAM and get away with it?

CCE isn't using anyone else's code...

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
HeffeD said:
Littlebits said:

CCE isn't using anyone else's code...

And how would you know that for sure, because Comodo said so and you believe them?
The developers at Microsoft Sysinternals and Process Hacker believe that they have taken their codes without permission even plan to take legal actions against Comodo.

I'm sure we won't here much about the legal battle unless it goes public which Comodo doesn't want.
This might explain why CCE isn't listed on major download sites or even their homepage for download.

If anyone is in doubt that Comodo violated these codes, download Sysinternals Autoruns and Process Hacker compare them for yourself.

If you are into programming you can drop the files into a code analyzer and compare the difference.
Let's say I was shocked that Comodo did this.

Nothing against you HeffeD, this is a Comodo issue they will have to resolve.

Good day.:D

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
Littlebits said:
And how would you know that for sure, because Comodo said so and you believe them?

Yes. I did in fact ask them and they said it was all their code. And yes, I do believe them.

Why, you ask?

Why would they lie about it? And do you really think they'd be stupid enough to steal from Micro$oft? :rolleyes:

They have a working relationship with M$, do you really think they'd jeopardize that?

I'm sure wj32 is smart enough to decompile their code. He has an account at the Comodo forums, yet he hasn't had anything to say about the new version? Why do you think that is?

He was definitely vocal enough when he felt Comodo was violating the terms of the open source Process Hacker license. Yet apparently now they actually are ripping him off and calling his work their own and he has nothing to say? :s

And did you miss his comment in the thread you linked?
wj32 said:
Yes, at least I used a different name when I cloned Process Explorer :cool:

Odd that he mentions copying Process Explorer, yet doesn't accuse Comodo of ripping either of them off...

The developers at SysInternals are definitely smart enough to decompile the code! And since they are now under the Microsoft umbrella, they have the M$ clout. M$ is notorious about protecting their intellectual property. You can guarantee if they had any issues, it would already be shut down. No need to wait for the legal wheels to turn to issue a cease and desist notice...

Littlebits said:
The developers at Microsoft Sysinternals and Process Hacker believe that they have taken their codes without permission even plan to take legal actions against Comodo.

Link(s) please... :)

Chiron

Level 1
Feb 24, 2011
Littlebits said:
I'm sure we won't here much about the legal battle unless it goes public which Comodo doesn't want.
This might explain why CCE isn't listed on major download sites or even their homepage for download.
http://www.comodo.com/business-security/network-protection/cleaning_essentials.php?key5sk1=0450d4327bad231c520c58fbd49d83995d504745&key5sk2=&key5sk3=1324264008000&key5sk4=&key5sk5=1324264014000&key5sk6=&key5sk7=1324264027000&key5sk8=&key5sk9=1324264048000&key6sk1=&key6sk2=CH16091263&key6sk3=7&key6sk4=en-us&key6sk5=US&key6sk6=0&key6sk7=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.comodo.com%2F&key6sk8=111102&key6sk9=1440900&key6sk10=true&key6sk11=&key7sk1=2&key7sk2=2&key7sk3=51&key7sk4=22

Also, this is the first I've heard of anyone accusing Comodo of stealing Microsoft's code. Do you have any evidence of this?

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Chiron said:
Littlebits said:
http://www.comodo.com/business-security/network-protection/cleaning_essentials.php?key5sk1=0450d4327bad231c520c58fbd49d83995d504745&key5sk2=&key5sk3=1324264008000&key5sk4=&key5sk5=1324264014000&key5sk6=&key5sk7=1324264027000&key5sk8=&key5sk9=1324264048000&key6sk1=&key6sk2=CH16091263&key6sk3=7&key6sk4=en-us&key6sk5=US&key6sk6=0&key6sk7=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.comodo.com%2F&key6sk8=111102&key6sk9=1440900&key6sk10=true&key6sk11=&key7sk1=2&key7sk2=2&key7sk3=51&key7sk4=22

Also, this is the first I've heard of anyone accusing Comodo of stealing Microsoft's code. Do you have any evidence of this?

Simply drop the files into a code analyzer and compare the difference and be your own witness, then demand Comodo to tell you the truth.

I have no reason to make accusations, let's say I do some small developing and have already analyzed the codes. More than several strings are exact copies which can't be chance. In fact almost all of the codes are identical and Comodo wants to claim they wrote it themselves, sure there isn't not one single developer who will believe that fanboy or not.

So I have justified reasons why I believe they used others codes, my own eyes don't lie like Comodo does. Whether Comodo is making a under the table deal with Sysinternals and Process Hacker, I have no knowledge and neither does the forum members at Sysinternals forum. But money talks, so Comodo has a plan.

As a simple saying if you want the truth, go to the source. Drop the files into a code analyzer or have one of your developer friends to do it for you.

I'm not going to say anything else about this, please reply after you have compared the files in a code analyzer with your results.

Good Day. :D

win7holic

Thread author
Apr 20, 2011
Littlebits said:
The scanner still takes forever to update signature database. In fact I could almost finish two complete scans with other removal tools in the time it takes CCE to update signatures.

Other removal tools like Kaspersky Removal Tool, McAfee Avert Stinger , Norman Malware Cleaner, Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool, Microsoft Safety Scanner and Dr. Web CureIT already include the latest signatures because you never have to wait to run a scan.

Resource wise, it slows down my system with high cpu cycles and also the large amount of memory is consumed. For example Sysinternals Autoruns only takes less than 5MB of memory compared to Autoruns Analyzer which consumed above 70MB in my system. I'm not sure its being a specific case.

Emsisoft Emergency Kit, Process Hacker, Sysinternals Autoruns and VT Uploader makes a much better manual removal tool setup. Malwarebytes is excellent for most rogueware which accounts for about 95% or more infections, Kaspersky TDSSKiller and Microsoft Safety Scanner are excellent scanners and don't require signature updates.

nah. I agree with your points above (as I quote it)
I downloaded the signature for CCE to download and install it manually (bases.cav) manually as well. but still, there is an additional download total approximately 4MB or less.
with 4MB download it, felt a bit longer and, a new database installation process was too long. sometimes failed, but it's not running in a VM, but in a real machine with 2GB ram.

this on my system, very HIGH ram usage.
Why not just till 200k? :p
2mJCz.png

D

Deleted member 178

Littlebits said:
Simply drop the files into a code analyzer and compare the difference and be your own witness, then demand Comodo to tell you the truth.

Everybody knows that Killswitch was originally made from Process Hacker which is made from Process Explorer. it is not a secret. Comodo improved Process Hacker with Killswitch, But Killswitch is better and has some other features that PH dont have.

I have no reason to make accusations, let's say I do some small developing and have already analyzed the codes. More than several strings are exact copies which can't be chance. In fact almost all of the codes are identical and Comodo wants to claim they wrote it themselves, sure there isn't not one single developer who will believe that fanboy or not.

Comodo says that only the latest version was wrote by them.

So I have justified reasons why I believe they used others codes, my own eyes don't lie like Comodo does. Whether Comodo is making a under the table deal with Sysinternals and Process Hacker, I have no knowledge and neither does the forum members at Sysinternals forum. But money talks, so Comodo has a plan.

Who knows what under-the-hood's arrangement Comodo had with PH developers but originally the latest were agree to share their code with Comodo but later something get wrong between them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.