Advice Request Comodo Cloud AV provokes " X the application was unable to start correctly"

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trender

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Feb 5, 2016
Hello guys, since I've installed Comodo Cloud some programs get an alert of " X.exe the application was unable to start correctly" even tho apparently there isn't any side effect.
I've uninstalled it and doesn't makes the warning, installed again and makes the warnings :/

Reactions: Sunshine-boy

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Are the programs digitally signed and the signers on Comodo's Trusted Vendors List? If not they'll be run inside the sandbox which would make a lot programs not function properly.
You'll know if they're being run inside the sandbox by a green outline around the border of the program's window.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 65228

I know this bug.

I encountered this bug over 3 years ago on my personal system where I tried out Comodo Firewall. I was told at the time by a friend that it was a "years old bug" which was allegedly patched but yet I was still experiencing it. It felt a bit like a rootkit, it would block execution of every single program I attempted to launch... After uninstalling Comodo Firewall in Safe Mode, the issue would disappear miraculously.

I believe the bug is in one of their kernel-mode device drivers. They'll be using a kernel-mode callback like PsSetCreateProcessNotifyRoutineEx for filtering the process creation system-wide... Usually Windows throws back automatic error messages depending on the NTSTATUS error code handed back for the blocking of the operation.

There's nothing you can do about it really except request assistance via official Comodo support; you could try their forum but I doubt you'll get very far with this. I don't think that they take stability seriously (bugs in general actually) and last time I browsed their forum all I could find was junk.

I'd move on to trying a different product if you don't get anywhere with resolving this issue with their co-operation over the next few weeks because honestly life is too short and there's no point in you wasting your free time on people if they don't even care about your experience. You can try it, but don't have too high expectations because you may very well end up disappointed.

D

Deleted member 65228

Are the programs digitally signed and the signers on Comodo's Trusted Vendors List? If not they'll be run inside the sandbox which would make a lot programs not function properly.
You'll know if they're being run inside the sandbox by a green outline around the border of the program's window.
I think he's referring to an old bug where it locks down your system and blocks execution of all programs but maybe I misunderstood. I'm assuming this is his problem because I've first-hand experienced it myself many years ago and it fits the boot of process creation prevention from kernel-mode (explorer.exe specifically throws error messages when execution is blocked via PsSetCreateProcessNotifyRoutineEx)

@Trender could you elaborate a bit so it's perfectly clear what is going on for you with Comodo installed? To prevent potential misunderstanding here...

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
I think he's referring to an old bug where it locks down your system and blocks execution of all programs but maybe I misunderstood. I'm assuming this is his problem because I've first-hand experienced it myself many years ago and it fits the boot of process creation prevention from kernel-mode (explorer.exe specifically throws error messages when execution is blocked via PsSetCreateProcessNotifyRoutineEx)

@Trender could you elaborate a bit so it's perfectly clear what is going on for you with Comodo installed? To prevent potential misunderstanding here...
It's Comodo so I wouldn't be surprised if it was a bug. My mind just went to sandboxing being the issue but now that I think about it, it would have given a big ol' notification that the program has been run inside the sandbox so my theory's probably wrong.

Trender

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Feb 5, 2016

The programs doesn't runs in the sandbox.
It happens randomly with some programs. Like lets say I'll play League of Legends, I open it but instead I get an alert warning saying: "LeagueClient.exe the application was unable to start correctly" so I just open it again and it works normally...

Trender

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Feb 5, 2016
I don't know what could Comodo do, the programs doesn't runs in sandbox and even so I've added them into exclusions but still I get those randoms application unable to start correctly, they dissapear when I uninstall Comodo and appear when I install it

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
I've experienced this too. And as @Opcode said rebooting into safe mode to remove Comodo fixed it. I won't use Comodo products again personally. I don't trust the CEO, the forums are full of fanboys and if you ask a question about a bug they can't help with on the forum it's your fault and they think you're slamming Comodo because you're somehow jealous of their software and just a 'hater' I also have my own personal concerns on if, or how much info they share with the US and UK intelligence services. I do NOT trust them one bit. And the 'Oh, well you can't complain because it's free' line doesn't wash. Yes people are using their product for free but each one of those people is contributing to comodo's cloud data. I'd stick with motre professional security software built by companies who actually do a lot of research and help to discover and identify new types of malware and who share said research. Comodo's CEO Meliah reminds me of a slimy leach. That's not a personal attack on him that's just my opinion of him.

D

Deleted member 65228

@ZeroDay Plus Comodo sell certificates with lack of background checks/verification... Malware authors can obtain their certificates at ease for their phishing/Win32 based malware. There should be more checks to sell to genuine developers/companies over people with malicious intent!

Last time I checked the COMODO forums, all I saw was complaints and the same response from some Melih guy along the lines of, "We have a sandbox so it doesn't matter". Lmao what a joke... Doesn't work like that. If you add features, maintain them!

Reactions: Azure and ZeroDay

Mahesh Sudula

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 3, 2017
I've experienced this too. And as @Opcode said rebooting into safe mode to remove Comodo fixed it. I won't use Comodo products again personally. I don't trust the CEO, the forums are full of fanboys and if you ask a question about a bug they can't help with on the forum it's your fault and they think you're slamming Comodo because you're somehow jealous of their software and just a 'hater' I also have my own personal concerns on if, or how much info they share with the US and UK intelligence services. I do NOT trust them one bit. And the 'Oh, well you can't complain because it's free' line doesn't wash. Yes people are using their product for free but each one of those people is contributing to comodo's cloud data. I'd stick with motre professional security software built by companies who actually do a lot of research and help to discover and identify new types of malware and who share said research. Comodo's CEO Meliah reminds me of a slimy leach. That's not a personal attack on him that's just my opinion of him.
Their Virus free guarantee :ROFLMAO:...It rings 24/7 for both valid/ Malicious programs..
Valkyrie Analysis -- Comodo Site Inspector -- Comodo Dns --> (n):notworthy:
UnClassified Malware --> If they cant classify a malware whats the work of their Virus Analysts: )
Its the most toughest AV ..i have never come across
Rather change their caption to - Creating Trust through Sandbox

Last edited:
Reactions: ZeroDay

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
@ZeroDay Plus Comodo sell certificates with lack of background checks/verification... Malware authors can obtain their certificates at ease for their phishing/Win32 based malware. There should be more checks to sell to genuine developers/companies over people with malicious intent!

Last time I checked the COMODO forums, all I saw was complaints and the same response from some Melih guy along the lines of, "We have a sandbox so it doesn't matter". Lmao what a joke... Doesn't work like that. If you add features, maintain them!
Exactly. Their forum should just be a blog where people leave compliments to the mighty Melieh and his sandbox lol.

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
Their Virus free guarantee :ROFLMAO:...It rings 24/7 for both valid/ Malicious programs..
Valkyrie Analysis -- Comodo Site Inspector -- Comodo Dns --> (n):notworthy:
UnClassified Malware --> If they cant classify a malware whats the work of their Virus Analysts: )
Its the most toughest AV ..i have never come across
Rather change their caption to - Creating Trust through Sandbox

Creating Trust through Sandbox

Nailed it perfectly there.

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
Like Cruelsister has demonstrated many times, Comodo firewall is very powerful security software. But I wish Comodo would fine-tune their products. It kinda seems like those products are not much of a priority for them and they focus more on selling certificates.

It's truly a shame that such softwares are filled with bugs that were reported years ago. Speaking of, does anyone know if the dissapearing rules bug been fixed yet?

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
While I really like Cruel Sister settings, Comodo is still full of bugs and strange design choices.

Example:

LPWPwjD.png

If the Auto Container runs a executable file that requests elevation, it wont reset the container and will show this error; you will need to reboot the system to clean the container.

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
While I really like Cruel Sister settings, Comodo is still full of bugs and strange design choices.

Example:

LPWPwjD.png

If the Auto Container runs a executable file that requests elevation, it wont reset the container and will show this error; you will need to reboot the system to clean the container.
It's a shame because if Comodo did iron out the bugs and take bug reports seriously they'd have an fantastic product on their hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.