App Review Comodo Firewall 10 Setup

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

monkeylove

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 9, 2014
I set it up using the following configuration:

Firewall - Custom Ruleset
Auto-Containment - Enabled
HIPS - Safe Mode
Viruscope - Enabled
Website Filtering - Enabled

Advanced View is checked, Silent Mode is unchecked, and the widget is turned off.

On the side, I have Bitdefender Free and Trend Micro Ransom Buster. For the offline scanners, I can't remember all of them, but I have MalwareBytes and eSet Online Scanner.

Reactions: ZeroDay

codswollip

Level 23
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017
I just installed Comodo Firewall (set CS settings) but now I got some errors on Windows Defender Advanced Threat Protection
I have the same setup and experience no WD interference from CF (w/CS settings). Are you certain it is CF? Does WD show in CF's Network Intrusions or Blocked Applications log? Is HIPS truly disabled?

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
ha ha ha absolutely not. CF is a muh, muh better firewall than Eset. Sorry for the Ha ha I wasn't laughing at you just the thought of Eset's firewall being better than CF made me laugh.
Just the "firewall" part, not the overall product. Eset's firewall is said to be advanced. See @Sunshine-boy's comment. Can some advanced user clarify?

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
Just the "firewall" part, not the overall product. Eset's firewall is said to be advanced. See @Sunshine-boy's comment. Can some advanced user clarify?
I am an advanced user and I've seen eset's firewall bypassed a lot more than Comodo's. If you go into the settings and dig deep comodo firewall alone is extremely advanced. Just ticking the box 'deny unknown connections by default' Makes it much stronger. Eset has Intrusion detection system, Comodo Has Host Intrusion detection system. Eset's tech may look better on paper but when it comes down to real life protection comodo firewall, just the firewall is much better protection and Eset's firewall. As one of the tester to test both firewalls only tweed to their vest setting. I'd write down my job title and qualifications to prove I'm an 'Advanced user' But I don't feel the need and their would be ertin thing's I wouldn't be able to mention about my job regardless.

Please excuse the typos I'm the king of them. But, as I said ask one of the testers to test both firewalls alone but tweaked to their max settings for protection. The proof is in the puddin'

I'd do it myself but I'm staying at my mom's house to take care of her as she had a mini stroke AKA a TIA on Sunday so I don't have time.

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
CS herself admits that Comodo's firewall component is nothing special.
Neither is Eset it's bypassed on pretty much every test I see. But like I say play with the settings and it' a solid firewall and better than Eset's. I like Eset, but it doesn't matter how advanced their firewall technology is and how good it looks on paper you change a few settings in Comodo and it's just much better protection. And I'm talking firewall only of both products. I don't use either and, although I was thinking about trying the new CF I'm either staying with WD, WFC and VS or going back to KIS.

Reactions: shmu26

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
I am an advanced user and I've seen eset's firewall bypassed a lot more than Comodo's. If you go into the settings and dig deep comodo firewall alone is extremely advanced. Just ticking the box 'deny unknown connections by default' Makes it much stronger. Eset has Intrusion detection system, Comodo Has Host Intrusion detection system. Eset's tech may look better on paper but when it comes down to real life protection comodo firewall, just the firewall is much better protection and Eset's firewall. As one of the tester to test both firewalls only tweed to their vest setting. I'd write down my job title and qualifications to prove I'm an 'Advanced user' But I don't feel the need and their would be ertin thing's I wouldn't be able to mention about my job regardless.

Please excuse the typos I'm the king of them. But, as I said ask one of the testers to test both firewalls alone but tweaked to their max settings for protection. The proof is in the puddin'

I'd do it myself but I'm staying at my mom's house to take care of her as she had a mini stroke AKA a TIA on Sunday so I don't have time.
But are you sure its not because of Comodo's HIPS and Sandbox combined with Firewall which prevented bypass? Comodo is top notch with all its components but I just wanted to know how good the single Firewall component is. Sorry if the question is noob-ish.

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
This is the post I am referring to. See towards the end, where she talks about "urban legend":
A Question for Cruel Sister. Comodo CIS, Why?
How many times have you seen Eset completely bypassed in the hub alone that includes it's firewall. Because I've seen it bypassed lot. Sometimes tech sounds amazing on paper, but in practice it's different. Eset did have advanced firewall tech years ago, but I still don't think the firewall is Eset's best asset.

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
But are you sure its not because of Comodo's HIPS and Sandbox combined with Firewall which prevented bypass? Comodo is top notch with all its components but I just wanted to know how good the single Firewall component is. Sorry if the question is noob-ish.
The firewall can be tweaked in multiple ways on CF Like I say just taking a box to automatically dent connection for unknown software, connections etc makes comodo strong. But, with all that said Eset are a much, much more reputable company who can spend a lot of money on R and D. So, with a new version they could easily make their firewall better than Comodo's because when push comes to shove Comodo don't give a ##### about their users that's evident on their forums.

Reactions: Deletedmessiah

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
3rd party firewalls won't be needed at all, well they already aren't needed, but if MS come out with a better UI that can be switched on by users who wish to tweak the firewall I'm guessing a lot of people would be more than happy with that. I like comodo's products I just do NOT trust the company one bit.

Sunshine-boy

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2017
@Deletedmessiah
You can check yourself also eset using the same firewall for their enterprise products.
IDS and advanced options in ESET Windows home products and ESET Endpoint Security
Comodo Firewall Settings Interface, Firewall Protection | Internet Security v6.2
Eset fireawall=IDS+Bonet preoction+applcaiton modification detection( If selected, the program will monitor applications for changes (updates, infections, other modifications). When a modified application attempts to establish a connection, you will be notified by the Personal firewall).
eset's firewall bypassed
Show us? :notworthy:

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
@Deletedmessiah
You can check yourself also eset using the same firewall for their enterprise products.
IDS and advanced options in ESET Windows home products and ESET Endpoint Security
Comodo Firewall Settings Interface, Firewall Protection | Internet Security v6.2
Eset fireawall=IDS+Bonet preoction+applcaiton modification detection( If selected, the program will monitor applications for changes (updates, infections, other modifications). When a modified application attempts to establish a connection, you will be notified by the Personal firewall).

Show us? :notworthy:
Look in the Malware hub and you'll see infected on a LOT of the Eset tests, firewall bypassed and everything else it happens on a regular basis.Just go through the tests in the MalwareHub simple. You'll see lot of Red Infected conclusions with eset in the hub, lot's. I'm not going through the MalwareHub for you and pasting links you can do that yourself.

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
I'm off to the gym now my sister is here to sit with my mom whilst she's ill. I'll be back in an hour or so. I really like this conversation and we'll benefit from sharing and exploring. Sorry If I've come across s rude, as I said my mom had a mini stroke Sunday so I'm more than a little tense.

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
I'm off to the gym now my sister is here to sit with my mom whilst she's ill. I'll be back in an hour or so. I really like this conversation and we'll benefit from sharing and exploring. Sorry If I've come across s rude, as I said my mom had a mini stroke Sunday so I'm more than a little tense.
I didn't like that "ha ha" though but no problem :p :) I just hope the moderators don't get angry over this going off topic.

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
I didn't like that "ha ha" though but no problem :p :) I just hope the moderators don't get angry over this going off topic.
I honestly didn't mean anything by the ha ha. Umbra is staff and I've seen him type LOLLLLLLOLLL to devs, but it's just harmless banter there's no disrespect meant. My apologies that it offended you.

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
I honestly didn't mean anything by the ha ha. Umbra is staff and I've seen him type LOLLLLLLOLLL to devs, but it's just harmless banter there's no disrespect meant. My apologies that it offended you.
No worries. I don't take that as disrespect. The internet is so toxic and even the worst I've seen on MT seems extremely polite in comparison lol.

Sunshine-boy

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2017
I've seen it bypassed lot
I think you cant understand the different bteween bypassing the firewall and the real-time or antivirus protection.
firewall bypassed
These tests show the Eset AV bypassed (on default settings)not the firewall what is the job of the firewall? protecting against hackers and inbound connections or blocking the samples??:notworthy:
Also, they are testing the comodo with cs settings(proactive settings)! while testing Eset or other Avs on default settings!even 5 years old kid can understand it's not fair!
You can simply Set Eset firewall in interactive mode(same of other Avs) and it will ask for every conecntion also you can tweak the Hips to wrok as an Anti-Exe(or more)the protection is there:)
Red Infected
Tweak the Eset HIPS and provided settings(like what they did for comodo)and you will not see any red color anymore;)

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.