App Review Comodo Firewall- Cruelsister Variation

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

Chimaira

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jan 5, 2018
Also, CruelSister turns off UAC with CFW, she says it does a better job than UAC anyway. This might be why Comodo doesn't properly virtualize with UAC on, maybe they intend for UAC to be off? I don't know.

Either way, it works with UAC off and this is how CS runs her system so if everyone here trusts her Comodo settings you also should trust in her decision to use CFW with UAC off.

Reactions: Nightwalker

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Also, CruelSister turns off UAC with CFW, she says it does a better job than UAC anyway. This might be why Comodo doesn't properly virtualize with UAC on, maybe they intend for UAC to be off? I don't know.

Either way, it works with UAC off and this is how CS runs her system so if everyone here trusts her Comodo settings you also should trust in her decision to use CFW with UAC off.

No dice, I am using Cruel Comodo with UAC off.

I will post pictures of my testing later, but it seems to be trivial now that Comodo has upped its container, so it isnt a big deal like I thought.

Last edited:

Chimaira

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jan 5, 2018
ePIBU
Capture.PNG

Have you completely disabled UAC through your local security policy? Just setting it to never notify in the UAC settings isn't completely turning it off. It has to be completely off and then it works.

Chimaira

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jan 5, 2018
With UAC completely off, Comodo runs everything as Restricted, all of the programs in the image require Admin elevation privilege. FIY these aren't false positives, I have tweaked the settings so these safe files would be sandboxed.

Comodo.PNG

UAC should not be disabled.

If CFW isn't working as intended, then COMODO needs to fix it.

Chimaira

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jan 5, 2018
UAC should not be disabled.

If CFW isn't working as intended, then COMODO needs to fix it.

I'll let you argue with CruelSister over this, she says Comodo does a better job than UAC so it doesn't impact security.

I'm not an expert on this subject but I trust her.

Reactions: erreale

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
With UAC completely off, Comodo runs everything as Restricted, all of the programs in the image require Admin elevation privilege. FIY these aren't false positives, I have tweaked the settings so these safe files would be sandboxed.

View attachment 181936

Try to run ShinoLocker (ransomware simulator that needs elevation privilege, take care) or Comodo Leak Test.

ShinoLocker

You are in for a surprise ...

cruelsister

Level 42
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Tonight I'll be releasing the video that:

1). Goes through the choices for the Privilege Elevation setting, and
2). Some fun with UAC.

Night- Another damned LeakTest!!!!! Honestly I have no idea why Comodo does this, but I can assure you that it will not happen for other things of which I am aware. Although not trying to justify any of this, but neither SpyShelter Leak or the Comodo thingy requests anything that is not already covered by the Partially Limited setting.

ps- I was deciding on music for tonight's video, and as I see you are from Brazil looks like it will be Manha de Carnaval.

FrFc1908

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 28, 2016
Thanks for another great vid sis! Did apply your settings on chrome! Interesting detail : when a download is finished , I can drag the completed download from within my internet download manager popup.

Chimaira

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jan 5, 2018
Probably you dont have NET Framework installed, so ShinoLocker refused to run and Fondue.exe (Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5) ran in its place.

Try to install NET Framework and repeat the test if you can.

The error popped up, I attempted to click the continue button but the error continued to pop up. Shino was unable to run and made no changes on my computer. As you can see it ran completely restricted.

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
The error popped up, I attempted to click the continue button but the error continued to pop up. Shino was unable to run and made no changes on my computer. As you can see it ran completely restricted.

Thanks for the testing, it is very much appreciated.

Dont know why it goes to "Partial Limited" in my machine (as you can see in the gif that I posted above).

Are you using version 10 or 8.3?

Reactions: Chimaira

Chimaira

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jan 5, 2018
Thanks for the testing, it is very much appreciated.

Dont know why it goes to "Partial Limited" in my machine (as you can see in the gif that I posted above).

Have you completely disabled UAC through your local security policy?

Chimaira

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jan 5, 2018
I just disabled using the Control Panel, I will try using local security policy and see if there is any difference.

Yes you must disable it through local security policy, through control panel doesn't actually turn it off. You must restart your computer after disabling UAC. Use this picture as a guide:
Capture.PNG

Reactions: Nightwalker

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
With UAC completely off Comodo Sandbox works as it should and now I dont get the popup that I mentioned earlier and it runs at the "Restricted" setting, so it is sure a "bug".

Thanks @Chimaira for the solution, anyway I think Comodo team should fix this asap.

I noticed that sometimes containment wont reset, now with UAC it works like a charm too.

Attachments

• download.png
    download.png
    164.9 KB · Views: 1,859
Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.