App Review Comodo Firewall Plays with RATs

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
Content created by
Ophelia

cruelsister

Level 42
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Remote Access Trojans (RATs) malware have increased significantly as of late with a great deal send via Email. Unlike in the past where the malicious file would be an exe or vbs, popular now (and confusing to some) are hta (hypertext markup language) and OneNote files.

Here are examples of both.

The_King

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 2, 2020
What is your opinion on Sandboxie or Sandboxie Plus?

Sandboxie is a sandbox-based isolation software for 32- and 64-bit Windows NT-based operating systems. It is being developed by David Xanatos since it became open source, before that it was developed by Sophos (which acquired it from Invincea, which acquired it earlier from the original author Ronen Tzur). It creates a sandbox-like isolated operating environment in which applications can be run or installed without permanently modifying the local or mapped drive. An isolated virtual environment allows controlled testing of untrusted programs and web surfing.

I was always curious how something like Sandboxie or Sandboxie Plus would fair against Ransomware and RATs etc...

cruelsister

Level 42
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Sandboxie is an excellent sandbox. The protection afforded by SBIE is equivalent to CF at Restricted, the major difference being one must choose in SBIE what to sandbox whereas CF is automatic.

Last edited:

Pico

Level 4
Feb 6, 2023
Sandboxie is an excellent sandbox. The protection afforded by SBIE is equivalent to CF at Restricted, the major difference being one must choose in SBIE what to sandbox whereas CF is automatic.
I'm also interested to know how well Sandboxie Plus performs against all types of (zero-day) malware.
For instance, if an unknown app/malware is run sandboxed with FW set to block all incoming and block all outgoing connections for all apps which run inside sandbox (to prevent keyloggers or data theft) how well does Sandboxie Plus protect my system then?

Reactions: The_King
F

ForgottenSeer 97327

HTA is useless for home users. Just cripple mshta.exe by enabling all protections for it in Exploit Protection of Microsoft Defender (exploit protection works even when you use a different AV)

1676129881439.png

David Xanatos claims Sandboxie protection is much stronger than Comodo's virtualization. I read at Wilders that the lowered SBIE protection should be as strong as Comodo FW. Now I am not a Sandboxie user nor Comodo user anymore and I am not testing any of them with malware, so I have no opinion on this (a respected software developer's word against a respected software tester's word), so maybe some Sandboxie users can chime in to explain this contradiction in claims.

Note: the automatic virtualization of Comodo is a great advantage over Sandboxie IMO, no matter what the ins and outs of the protection mechanisms are (kernel vs user).

F

ForgottenSeer 97327

The issue here is that disabling various things that malware could potentially use is like playing whack a mole- one never knows when something new could be exploited and pop up that isn't already blocked.
General true, but does not apply for mshta.exe, you know that also. I am with you when it comes to recent OneNote abuses. They are a worry. It seems that every time Microsoft introduces a seamless computing mechanisme it has weaknesses and use cases which can be misused.

That is why every user should install Andy Ful's Simple Windows Hardening (to reduce the easy execution in user land of all those risky file extensions) and FirewallHardening (to prevent LolBins going outbound). Probably SimpleWindowsHardening + FirewallHardening would also have blocked those rats.

Last edited by a moderator:
F

ForgottenSeer 69673

General true, but does not apply for mshta.exe, you know that also. I am with you when it comes to recent OneNote abuses. They are a worry. It seems that every time Microsoft introduces a seamless computing mechanisme it has weaknesses and use cases which can be misused.

That is why every user should install Andy Ful's Simple Windows Hardening (to reduce the easy execution in user land of all those risky file extensions) and FirewallHardening (to prevent LolBins going outbound). Probably SimpleWindowsHardening + FirewallHardening would also have blocked those rats.
I have been blocking this one for a very long time. ;)
Besides, I like to wacky my mole :LOL:

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-02-11 102049.png
    Screenshot 2023-02-11 102049.png
    26.4 KB · Views: 126

n8chavez

Level 17
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021

Well, I don't think you can chose an isolated location, such as ram drive, with Comodo. You can in SBIE.

Reactions: ForgottenSeer 97327
F

ForgottenSeer 98186

1676262535784.png

F

ForgottenSeer 98186

Home users need cscript, wscript and PowerShell for what again?:eek: and what is wrong with blocking what is known to be bad and could be bad again?
Microsoft says unmanaged (home users) do not need any of them. 11S and 10S Mode are Microsoft Security's favorite Windows flavor for home systems:

1676271521550.png

A user can easily replicate 11S or 10S mode by adding the above processes to Exploit Protection > Disable Win32 System Calls + set application installs to "Microsoft Store Only."

1676271864784.png

Last edited by a moderator:
F

ForgottenSeer 97327

@Oerlink thanks for the info (you did not see that coming ay :) )

Your info confirms that SWH + FH of AndyFul would have blocked the RAT

On top of SWH hardening options I also disable CMD via registry tweak

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System]
"DisableCMD"=dword:00000001

Bumblebee Uncle

Level 3
Well-known
Mar 15, 2022
@Oerlink thanks for the info (you did not see that coming ay :) )

Your info confirms that SWH + FH of AndyFul would have blocked the RAT

On top of SWH hardening options I also disable CMD via registry tweak

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System]
"DisableCMD"=dword:00000001
Those tools are pure Gold! 🥇

F

ForgottenSeer 69673

Microsoft says unmanaged (home users) do not need any of them. 11S and 10S Mode are Microsoft Security's favorite Windows flavor for home systems:

View attachment 272864

A user can easily replicate 11S or 10S mode by adding the above processes to Exploit Protection > Disable Win32 System Calls + set application installs to "Microsoft Store Only."

View attachment 272865
Thank you. See how easy that was?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.