Advice Request Comodo Firewall with nothing extra or not?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

ColonelMal

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jul 5, 2017
I started using Comodo Firewall with Microsoft Defender and tweaked it with @cruelsister's settings. This is in replacement of Voodooshield and DefenderUI. I used to read about how effective it was to use Wisevector StopX with CFW, but I understand that Wisevector is no longer actively supported .

So my question is, is it advisable to do anything with Microsoft Defender's settings or add any other protection to my system?

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
It's great that you're taking steps to protect your computer with a combination of Comodo Firewall and Microsoft Defender. Using @cruelsister's settings for Comodo Firewall should provide you with a robust security setup.

Microsoft Defender has improved significantly over the years and offers a good level of protection by default. However, there are a few settings you could adjust to enhance its effectiveness:

1. Enable Potentially Unwanted Application (PUA) protection: This helps block potentially unwanted applications from being installed on your system.
    • To enable this, open PowerShell as an administrator and run the following command: Set-MpPreference -PUAProtection 1
  2. Enable Controlled folder access: This feature protects your important files and folders from ransomware and other threats.
    • To enable this, go to Windows Security > Virus & threat protection > Manage ransomware protection, and turn on Controlled folder access.
  3. Configure SmartScreen: SmartScreen protects you from malicious websites and downloads. It's usually enabled by default, but it's worth checking the settings.
    • To do this, go to Windows Security > App & browser control, and make sure SmartScreen is enabled for Microsoft Edge, apps and files, and Microsoft Store apps.
  4. Regularly update Microsoft Defender: Keep your antivirus software up to date to protect against new threats. This usually happens automatically, but you can check for updates manually in Windows Security > Virus & threat protection > Check for updates.
As for adding any other protection to your system, it depends on your needs and risk tolerance. If you want an additional layer of security, you could consider using a reputable anti-malware program like Malwarebytes. However, be cautious about using multiple antivirus programs simultaneously, as they can cause conflicts and reduce overall system performance.

Lastly, remember that no security software can provide 100% protection. Practicing good online habits, such as being cautious with email attachments, keeping software updated, and avoiding suspicious websites and downloads, is crucial to keeping your system secure.

ddave

Level 2
Verified
Nov 17, 2014
I started using Comodo Firewall with Microsoft Defender and tweaked it with @cruelsister's settings. This is in replacement of Voodooshield and DefenderUI. I used to read about how effective it was to use Wisevector StopX with CFW, but I understand that Wisevector is no longer actively supported .

So my question is, is it advisable to do anything with Microsoft Defender's settings or add any other protection to my system?
I set up my brother's pc with the same configuration.
MS Defender (reinforced with configure defender) + CFW tweaked à la Cruelsister way.

ErzCrz

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019

You don't need to add anything else though I like to use ConfigureDefender set to High as a set and forget.

ErzCrz

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
Why not install Comodo Internet Security instead.. you will get access to the auto-sandbox along with many of Comodo's other security features

you can get it from Thanks for downloading Free Antivirus from Comodo
Those are already part of CF including cloud AV. CIS does include a local Antivirus which is sub-par and secure shopping. I'm personally holding out for the "Summer" update before I'd consider going full CIS myself. CF does the job and auto-containment fills in the gaps of MD or whatever.

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Why not install Comodo Internet Security instead
Mal- excellent question. Although WVSX was an excellent compliment to CF for those that liked a real time AV product, although it still has value, the lack of any further tweaking of the AI module does in no way guarantee that the formerly superb protection will continue as malware evolves.

That being said, as long as CF is used properly (and by that I mean Containing those things that CF requests to be contained by default as well as blocking those things that CF requests to be blocked) having an adjunct AV thingy on board is of minor value. An example here would be the recent issue of E-File.com where the IRS website was breached and served up a valid digitally signed browser "update". After a full week only Crowdstrike alerted to it with everyone else being oblivious. Needless to say with CF the zero day "update was contained with a subsequent blocking of any outbound malicious connection.

Finally, for those that just gotta have an AV, Kaspersky Free can be tried with CF (as long as one blows off the warning that CF is not compatible (I haven't doen a long term trial with this combo myself unlike the WV-CF combo, but it should be OK).

ColonelMal

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jul 5, 2017

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
That being said, as long as CF is used properly...having an adjunct AV thingy on board is of minor value.
by "adjunct" do you mean 3d-party AV? Is MS Defender considered "adjunct?" I forget, can user turn off Defender if no 3d-party AV is installed?? Or user can turn off Defender real-time protection? Turning off Defender real-time would be a benefit in performance and not really needed with CF? Or of some minor value to keep Defender real-time protection? (was not sure how to phrase this question(s) ) :unsure:

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Is MS Defender considered "adjunct?"
Yes, it would be. Normally I would have used the term supplementary, bur then one could intimate that WD adds something to CF security, which it does not. Personally on some of my systems WD is disabled and on some it isn't. Not really a conscious choice at all but instead a decision so inconsequential that it doesn't really matter

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Yes, it would be. Normally I would have used the term supplementary, bur then one could intimate that WD adds something to CF security, which it does not. Personally on some of my systems WD is disabled and on some it isn't. Not really a conscious choice at all but instead a decision so inconsequential that it doesn't really matter
@cruelsister update question, I setup a win10_VM with comodo firewall ONLY with intent to install Kaspersky free & 2 things happened: monthly update tuesday forced reboot & apparently turned ON MS Defender, then I went to install Kaspersky free assuming it would disable Defender, AND Kaspersky is forcing an uninstall of CF saying it is incompatible o_O so the primary use of this VM is running CF so I stopped the install of Kaspersky. Any work around with Kaspersky or different AV? :unsure: And NOT obvious (to me) how to turn OFF Defender. Ideas welcome...

EDIT: I tried Avira Free, that was a no-go and left both windows firewall ON & CF ON. "a few minutes later" I was able to turn off windows firewall with DefenderUI, so currently MS Defender is currently ON with CF. Some work around was needed as CF put DefenderUI powershell commands into containment.
PS default situation seems to turn ON windows firewall too, so any problem running windows firewall with CF? I vaguely recall that was ok?? (although currently win firewall is OFF)

Last edited:
Reactions: Nevi

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
@cruelsister update question, I setup a win10_VM with comodo firewall ONLY with intent to install Kaspersky free & 2 things happened: monthly update tuesday forced reboot & apparently turned ON MS Defender, then I went to install Kaspersky free assuming it would disable Defender, AND Kaspersky is forcing an uninstall of CF saying it is incompatible o_O so the primary use of this VM is running CF so I stopped the install of Kaspersky. Any work around with Kaspersky or different AV? :unsure: And NOT obvious (to me) how to turn OFF Defender. Ideas welcome...

EDIT: I tried Avira Free, that was a no-go and left both windows firewall ON & CF ON. "a few minutes later" I was able to turn off windows firewall with DefenderUI, so currently MS Defender is currently ON with CF. Some work around was needed as CF put DefenderUI powershell commands into containment.
PS default situation seems to turn ON windows firewall too, so any problem running windows firewall with CF? I vaguely recall that was ok?? (although currently win firewall is OFF)
Regarding the successful installation of Kaspersky while already having CF installed, one must blow off the warnings from K. On the first alert, uncheck the box for Comodo Software.

kkkkk.png

Then you will get a another alert :
kkk2.png

and for this one just hit continue to install the application.

I did notice that occasionally the K installer is a tad gloopy (in that the Kaspersky tray icon may not immediately displayed, so a reboot is suggested. After that everything should go swimmingly with K picking off any malware before it gets to CF. However there are rare occasions where malware will not be detected by K but will be contained and blocked by CF (like the E-File.com malware for which I'm actually publishing a video on Saturday.

As to WD and WF- Windows Firewall is of so little value that it really makes no difference if it is on or off. That being said, as I noticed in the past that Windows Updates could be delayed if WF was disabled, I suggest leaving it enabled.

For Defender, one can disable it (or enable it) with Defender Control,and this little jewel can be found here: Download Defender Control - MajorGeeks

password is: sordum

Hope all was clear!

m

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Regarding the successful installation of Kaspersky while already having CF installed, one must blow off the warnings from K. On the first alert, uncheck the box for Comodo Software.

View attachment 274463
Then you will get a another alert :
View attachment 274465
and for this one just hit continue to install the application.

I did notice that occasionally the K installer is a tad gloopy (in that the Kaspersky tray icon may not immediately displayed, so a reboot is suggested. After that everything should go swimmingly with K picking off any malware before it gets to CF. However there are rare occasions where malware will not be detected by K but will be contained and blocked by CF (like the E-File.com malware for which I'm actually publishing a video on Saturday.

As to WD and WF- Windows Firewall is of so little value that it really makes no difference if it is on or off. That being said, as I noticed in the past that Windows Updates could be delayed if WF was disabled, I suggest leaving it enabled.

For Defender, one can disable it (or enable it) with Defender Control,and this little jewel can be found here: Download Defender Control - MajorGeeks

password is: sordum

Hope all was clear!

m
THANKS! :love: during my 1st attempted install of Kaspersky Free it was not obvious that I could force the installer NOT to remove CF. Above seems clear to me, so will try again, if anything changes or is different, I will document as best I can.

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
@cruelsister quick followup. All installed good once I realized I could uncheck the box that said the KFree installer was going to remove CF.
PS last time I tweaked CF with your settings was circa 2017-18 and older version of CF. The settings interface seems to have changed somewhat, and I want to make sure I have your optimal settings for firewall and containment. Do you an updated version of your CF recommended settings posted nearby? :unsure: I only assume I tweaked it ok and that IS dangerous o_O

EDIT got the link for current CS tweaks from ErzCrz link on youtube video posted circa Feb 2023. All good here in win10_VMw with CF + KF for now. thank you thank you!!

Last edited:

ErzCrz

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
@cruelsister quick followup. All installed good once I realized I could uncheck the box that said the KFree installer was going to remove CF.
PS last time I tweaked CF with your settings was circa 2017-18 and older version of CF. The settings interface seems to have changed somewhat, and I want to make sure I have your optimal settings for firewall and containment. Do you an updated version of your CF recommended settings posted nearby? :unsure: I only assume I tweaked it ok and that IS dangerous o_O
Updated version at start if this video

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
update re CF (comodo firewall) & kaspersky free: successfully installed KF yesterday with CF already installed despite warning of incompatible, seems rock solid, BUT today +24 hours later I did get a popup from KF warning of 1 incompatible software and should KF remove it, I assume CF although popup did not specifically name CF. I had 2 options, remove or do nothing, so I did nothing leaving CF installed. So it seems KF is going to be giving these incompatible warnings periodically. :rolleyes: Anyone else running this combo and not getting these popup warnings? :unsure:

Chuck57

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 22, 2018
I ran Comodo Firewall alone, using Cruelsister settings since finding it several years ago. Prior to her settings, I used the Proactive setting. Admittedly, I know nothing about firewalls, or how to set them up, or even how to add a rule. Proactive came from a few minutes research. Anyway, nothing ever infected my PCs or laptops during the many years I used CF. During those years, I encountered only a handful of malware, usually when clicking stupid stuff that I shouldn't have. With CF properly set up with CS settings taking barely a minute, I never felt undergunned out here in the Wild West of the Internet.

ColonelMal

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jul 5, 2017
@ColonelMal It appears you are an advanced user. You would be fine with cruelconfig. I would never use an antivirus with cruelconfig or proactive config with HIPS disabled and other fine-tuning, and I would suggest the same.
I would describe myself not so much an advanced user, but an experienced user. I trust the effectiveness of @cruelsister's settings as evidenced in her videos and I use my judgement and my natural cautiousness whenever possible. As a non-technical expert, whichever software you use you are ultimately trusting it are you not? In this regard you base your trust on the tests carried out by others and the software's reputation overall.

Reactions: simmerskool

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.