Advice Request Comodo Firewall's constant disk writing/reading?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
This is a concern because the rate is quite noticeable although comodo firewall feels extremely light
I used process explorer, process hacker to monitor the i/o rate and they both have the same values

I use CS's configuration with some personal tweaks

Screenshot in idle, no program running ~250KB/s
1.PNG

Screenshot with google chrome running ~350KB/s
2.PNG

Last edited:

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
i think all scanners ( av, antimalware, firewall etc) had the same system they reading system constatly svhost also wich is running always
true but the problem is CF is writing a lot of data with significant rate at 250KB/s regardless of what we are doing
even when I closed CF via the tray icon, the CF's process was still running and writing at the exact same rate

as you can see in the screenshots, avast and svchosts's values were 1KB/s in idle

MeltdownEnemy

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jan 25, 2018
he hE-HE it is this the price in exchange on get high security. dont forget. I come back and I repeat, the security software can have the malware behavior instead of having a satisfactory experience stressing the components of the PC. You should talk to the technical Comodo support to obtain the light in your mind.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
On my system CF is quiet...

View attachment 190465
thank you for this confirmation
maybe because I used CF to block connections of too many processes including svchosts which led to this high disk consumption
I will try to use the default proactive configuration with minimal tweaks

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
What have you got to lose?
I have a long list of blocked processes similarly to syshardener's list
+ chrome: allow only port 53, 80, 443, 8080, block everything else
+ svchosts: allow only port 53, 67, 80, 443, block the rest
+ ... many more

perhaps blocking svchosts causes this constant disk consumption because svchosts is always trying to send something to microsoft and some other domains

I will try to revert to the default settings and start investigating which change I made was the culprit

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Evjl- Keep it simple- Trust Me.
Reset it back to default, does it still do that?
unfortunately, after re-installing CF and changed it back to Proactive profile, performed CS's config., a scan for unrecognized files -> rebooted -> nothing has changed. CF is still constantly writing ~200-250KB/s

not sure if there is any conflict with avast or just because I'm using HDD, not SSD

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
unfortunately, after re-installing CF and changed it back to Proactive profile, performed CS's config., a scan for unrecognized files -> rebooted -> nothing has changed. CF is still constantly writing ~200-250KB/s

not sure if there is any conflict with avast or just because I'm using HDD, not SSD
Probably the HDD is the problem.I had the same problem with all COMODO products. I did not find a solution. And with COMODO cloud the same problem. Ido not use anymore COMODO products

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Windows Firewall for the win; no high writes

Quite True- something that provides no meaningful protection tends to be the quietest.

Evjl- Please understand that any Windows build, even at idle (without any User Input or any Apps being open) will be doing stuff in the background. CF MUST monitor this stuff. If it did not, the pathway to breach would be obvious (for example, a pre-existing malware file with a prolonged sleep function). The activity of CF will also be increased if a browser, on a page with active content, would be open; also if one uses a secondary AV scanner that is active.

In short, if CF was always idle I would never use it, and it would make Ophelia just Drool (I'm sure she would submit a paper to Blackhat USA, but they don't accept papers from Cats- prejudicial Bastards).

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
This is a concern because the rate is quite noticeable although comodo firewall feels extremely light
I used process explorer, process hacker to monitor the i/o rate and they both have the same values

I use CS's configuration with some personal tweaks

Screenshot in idle, no program running ~250KB/s
View attachment 190455

Screenshot with google chrome running ~350KB/s
View attachment 190454
Did you try disabling system protection and delete all restore points to see if its reducing the constant disk usage? It might be calling Create restore point process to make periodic snapshots just in case.

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
It's really quiet for me but regardless 350KB/s is nothing even for an hdd. You are not going to notice any slowdown from that and i am surprised that you use avast and notice CF. Last time i checked avast, few years ago, it had the worse dirk write in the history and it was in the MB range and not KB.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.