Advice Request Comodo Firewall's constant disk writing/reading?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Hector1

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Aug 4, 2015
unfortunately, after re-installing CF and changed it back to Proactive profile, performed CS's config., a scan for unrecognized files -> rebooted -> nothing has changed. CF is still constantly writing ~200-250KB/s

not sure if there is any conflict with avast or just because I'm using HDD, not SSD
I have HD and no problem at all.

Reactions: oldschool

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
what setting did you all use for monitoring disk io?
I used Total Byte Delta

Reactions: AtlBo

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Try to examine the process using those:

ProcessActivityView - Show file activity summary in the selected process

ProcessThreadsView - View process threads information On Windows

You can also check in Disk tab, if any file is being accessed at a higher rate, when idle.

Untitled.jpg

You are not going to notice any slowdown from that and i am surprised that you use avast and notice CF. Last time i checked avast, few years ago, it had the worse dirk write in the history and it was in the MB range and not KB.
Avast/AVG is very quiet at idle. I had the same result as on the screenshot, Avast is running at 32-48 B/s, not even close to KB/s.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Task manager only.
task manager and resource monitor are pretty useless to monitor disk activity for single process
I can barely spot any increase in disk usage because the value reported in task manager and resource monitor

process explorer and process hacker are more accurate

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
It's really quiet for me but regardless 350KB/s is nothing even for an hdd. You are not going to notice any slowdown from that and i am surprised that you use avast and notice CF. Last time i checked avast, few years ago, it had the worse dirk write in the history and it was in the MB range and not KB.
350KB/s is a lot in long term because none of my programs is constantly using more than 1KB/s. Also when I execute something, CF kicks in with >1MB/s
avast has improved a lot recently and also I used my tweaks which significantly reduces disk and CPU usage, and telemetry although it doesn't feel as light as comodo in some tasks
avast was heavy a few years ago

Last edited:

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Try to examine the process using those:

ProcessActivityView - Show file activity summary in the selected process

ProcessThreadsView - View process threads information On Windows

You can also check in Disk tab, if any file is being accessed at a higher rate, when idle.

View attachment 190540

Avast/AVG is very quiet at idle. I had the same result as on the screenshot, Avast is running at 32-48 B/s, not even close to KB/s.
I was trying to read somewhere about read/write and other delta byte
I think the only values we should care are I/O Delta Read Byte and I/O Delta Write Byte
because I/O delta other or I/O total delta also count network and other activity which are not read/written to the disk

CF may not read/write too much to the disk

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

All of that drive IO would totally wipe out the lifespan of an NVME/m.2 but even worse, it would cause a pretty fast degradation of NVME speed.

Reactions: AtlBo and Vasudev

Legenda Man

Apr 15, 2020
Hello all. Just in case you are still facing the same strange behavior of excessive disk (HDD/SDD) usage by Comodo Firewall (CIS), try to change logging to the Windows log instead of local database (or disable logging at all for testing). You can do that in the Settings (Advanced Settings): General Settings -> Logging:
scr_200415_114213.png

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.