App Review COMODO Internet Security 2024 BETA

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
Content created by
Shadowra

Shadowra

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
COMODO is a well-known American firewall manufacturer.
Comodo is a publisher that was often criticized for not changing much with each major release.
For this BETA 2024, the publisher is making a major shift, and we're going to take a look.

Interface: 10/10

I'll be honest, the change is VIOLENT!
Comodo is starting to focus on neophyte users, at last!
The interface is clear and easy to read. I don't like grey, but that's my choice ^^
Strikingly, during installation, Comodo didn't ask me if I wanted Comodo Dragon, their browser. Has it been discontinued?

Protection:10/10 Web / Fake crack 1/1 Remains 297 threats on 507 malware / PC clean !!

Comodo has finally listened to my comments and corrected a number of problems.
I'd like to make it clear that I made NO configuration, except for the display of alerts afterwards, because oddly enough, Comodo didn't display any...
The Sandbox has been greatly improved and, by default, totally isolates the application. This is very handy, as previously, Ransomware could encrypt data despite the Sandbox.
This is no longer possible.
Comodo has also isolated scripts, preventing them from infecting the machine!
But the anti-malware engine still needs a great deal of work, and is still lagging behind...

Result :
Comodo : 0
NPE : 2 (Sandbox by Comodo so I don't count them)
KVRT : 7 (Traces in Edge of malware that have been sandboxed by Comodo, I don't count them)
Emsisoft : 0 (False Positive - Kill Switch)

Recommand : Yes
System Clean : System clean

@cruelsister , @comolokko request

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
I'd like to make it clear that I made NO configuration, except for the display of alerts afterwards, because oddly enough, Comodo didn't display any...
The Sandbox has been greatly improved and, by default, totally isolates the application. This is very handy, as previously, Ransomware could encrypt data despite the Sandbox.
So are you saying comodo adopted all @cruelsister containment (& other) settings, or would it be helpful for the rest of us (me included) for her to post a list or video of her tweaks for optimal performance consistent with, or perhaps better than, her previous tweaks? :unsure:
Thanks for pushing out this CF video asap! :geek:

Shadowra

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
So are you saying comodo adopted all @cruelsister containment (& other) settings, or would it be helpful for the rest of us (me included) for her to post a list or video of her tweaks for optimal performance consistent with, or perhaps better than, her previous tweaks? :unsure:
Thanks for pushing out this CF video asap! :geek:

I can neither confirm nor deny that COMODO was based on the @cruelsister configuration.
However, they were inspired by it, that's for sure.

Lymphocyte

Level 2
Verified
Jul 22, 2014
Nice test, I wonder if Comodo will relase a new version of just the Firewall because it's really good but I just feel that the antivirus is not woth using, as it doesn't really have good signatures, also it lacks of zero-day behavioral component despite of the sandbox.

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Nice test, I wonder if Comodo will relase a new version of just the Firewall because it's really good but I just feel that the antivirus is not woth using, as it doesn't really have good signatures, also it lacks of zero-day behavioral component despite of the sandbox.
not sure, but it sounded like it comes as 1 package but you can select to only install the firewall... (I may install on VM later today...)

likeastar20

Level 8
Verified
Mar 24, 2016
Isn't VirusScope the behavior blocker? It can be configured to only monitor the containment or outside of it too

PALTO01

Level 1
Jul 7, 2021
Excellent review it will be great and very helpful for all if you can please kindly pass this feedbacks to the Comodo development team & Comodo forums so that we all can see the best & most powerful version of Comodo 2024 final stable version. Points that needs to be highlighted to them are as follows : 1. An strong network based intrusion detection/prevention system can be added to there firewall module . 2. The antivirus engine needs to be completely newly developed with frequent hourly virus definitions & signatures updates that can detect & remove all known & unknown malwares in all formats. 3. Web & anti phising component needs to updated more frequently to protect & block all browser based attacks & intrusions & any kinds of bad websites in all browsers .

Jonny Quest

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
Excellent review it will be great and very helpful for all if you can please kindly pass this feedbacks to the Comodo development team & Comodo forums so that we all can see the best & most powerful version of Comodo 2024 final stable version. Points that needs to be highlighted to them are as follows : 1. An strong network based intrusion detection/prevention system can be added to there firewall module . 2. The antivirus engine needs to be completely newly developed with frequent hourly virus definitions & signatures updates that can detect & remove all known & unknown malwares in all formats. 3. Web & anti phising component needs to updated more frequently to protect & block all browser based attacks & intrusions & any kinds of bad websites in all browsers .
Forgive me for not knowing who you are (your profile is closed), but why lay that on Shadowra's shoulders to do, couldn't you do the same by pointing them to this thread?

F

ForgottenSeer 100397

I watched the test. Thank you! I installed CIS, and the default and containment settings are still the same. This Beta is compatible with the OS, so it has effective components and protections. Your previous test had two issues: BSODs and an unsupported OS. I mentioned these in the thread.

gonza

Level 2
Sep 10, 2019
The interface is clear and easy to read. I don't like grey, but that's my choice ^^
Strikingly, during installation, Comodo didn't ask me if I wanted Comodo Dragon, their browser. Has it been discontinued?
Lucky for you, it has a few themes and also a Dark mode.
About Comodo Dragon: I just installed just to check. Latest version is: 113.0.5672.127 from Jun 26

Anyway, i really hope they add a (optional) notification BEFORE a process is added to the sandbox. Their CloudAV had this option and it was nice to have it.

As always, thanks for this review! :)

Anthony Qian

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Apr 17, 2021
Thank you for testing Comodo beta. It seems the automatic sandboxing feature plays a significant role. I'm curious, if I frequently use software from niche independent developers, will Comodo automatically sandbox them? If I let them run in the sandbox without manual intervention, will it impact the software's normal functionality (like saving files to the desktop and so on)?

lvseqiji

Level 2
Mar 30, 2022
To be honest. I have doubts about the auto sandbox approach. First, some software do not work correctly in sandbox. Second, a whitelist to determine which program goes into sandbox seems not enough(for example, a normal exe inside whitelist with a malicous dll). And many samples may display different behavior inside sandbox or VM.
But anyway, a different product is always good for market.

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Thank you for testing Comodo beta. It seems the automatic sandboxing feature plays a significant role. I'm curious, if I frequently use software from niche independent developers, will Comodo automatically sandbox them? If I let them run in the sandbox without manual intervention, will it impact the software's normal functionality (like saving files to the desktop and so on)?
I just installed CIS_2024_beta, ran my vpn & it was auto-contained (??) but had a popup option not to contain it in future. I'm fumbling thru it, so FWIW...

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.