App Review COMODO Internet Security 2025 Premium

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Content created by
Shadowra

Shadowra

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
COMODO is an American publisher, well known among computer geeks.
The software presents itself as a totally free security suite, offering defensive shields: anti-malware, firewall, HIPS and a sandbox.
Many people thought that the suite had been discontinued, given the very low level of product updates, but the publisher proved the contrary by recoding its software from scratch!
We got the software first, so here's our test!

User interface :
The interface has been completely redesigned.
Comodo has tried to keep things simple, but I find it a little confusing.
It's a shame, because the old interface was better, but Comodo has gone for simplicity.
The software is light.

Web protection: 9/9
Comodo blocked all infected downloads.
In fact, Comodo uses its Sandbox a lot, and its anti-malware engine is very poor at detection, with only 1 anti-malware engine block.
On the other hand, Comodo's web filtering is very poor, as not a single page was blocked!

Fake crack : 1/1
Comodo isolated the fake crack and played with its anti-malware engine and Sandbox.

Malware Pack : Remaining 419 out of 649 threats.
The conclusion is clear: Comodo's anti-malware engine is really bad!

But Comodo manages to protect the system with the Sandbox!
And the coolest thing I've noticed is that malware can't get past the Sandbox! Since malware, Ransomware, scripts and the like have been properly isolated!
Comodo now also isolates scripts, which is a nice touch.
VirusScope has reacted from time to time.
On the other hand, Comodo REALLY needs to work on its anti-malware engine, which I think is the worst on the market!

Final scan :
Comodo : 0
Autoruns : 0
NPE : 0
KVRT: 0
Malwarebytes : 0

Final opinion:

Comodo has done an excellent job of correcting the major shortcomings of its Sandbox software.
The software reacts correctly and has protected the computer well.
Nevertheless, its anti-malware base is still very poor and getting worse, I have the impression that Comodo is abandoning its anti-malware engine, which is a pity.
The same applies to Web filtering, which has never reacted...

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Apr 21, 2016
Thanks for your detailed review of COMODO Internet Security 2025 Premium! It's interesting to hear about the strengths and weaknesses of the software, particularly the effectiveness of the Sandbox and the need for improvement in the anti-malware engine. This feedback will be useful to many users considering this software.

ErzCrz

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
Nicely done test. Sounds like only worth having the Firewall element at this stage which at least includes Containment/Sandbox. CIs ships with the Light version of the databas rather than the full database by default but will analyize unknowns in the cloud and of course sandbox any unknown files therefore providing true 0-day protection. I wonder what effect enabling TDT has in the test results and downloading the full database.

Anyway, awesome test as always :)

Behold Eck

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 22, 2014
Stay away from using the End Point Cleaner malware scanner function as it removed a critical system start up item on Win 10 last time I tinkered with Comodo.

Languy99(Matt) used to lower his voice when doing reviews whilst baby sitting his daughter and tell you what beer he was going to have later on. Good times.

Regards Eck:)

rashmi

Level 7
Jan 15, 2024
It appears the AV detected the fake crack. You executed approximately 80 of the remaining 419 samples. The AV and VirusScope detected many of those executed samples. I would say the detection is sufficient. Anyway, Comodo is not for users with no understanding of its containment configuration or features.

Shadowra

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
It appears the AV detected the fake crack. You executed approximately 80 of the remaining 419 samples. The AV and VirusScope detected many of those executed samples. I would say the detection is sufficient. Anyway, Comodo is not for users with no understanding of its containment configuration or features.

Concerning the fake crack, yes, most of the files have been detected.

I didn't run everything because I had several variants that were identical, Comodo would have reacted the same way.
After all, I'm not talking about VirusScope when I review anti-malware, but about the engine itself :)

Oct 17, 2023
I meant, "The detection is sufficient, as CAV and VS detected many samples that the manual scan didn't." Hopefully, Valkyrie will soon join this team.

As for CAV, it was weak and will remain so. It is just a huge database with padded signatures.
Xcitium Verdict Cloud
1717264737500.png

Sunshine-boy

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2017
And the coolest thing I've noticed is that malware can't get past the Sandbox!
Now, if a file is not malicious but still gets isolated because it’s unknown, it can be frustrating, especially if you need to use that file. it can be overzealous, leading to false positives where harmless files are flagged and quarantined. This can disrupt your workflow and require you to go through additional steps to whitelist the file, which can be a hassle.
It’s essential for antivirus software to have a high detection rate and to be able to distinguish between actual threats and false alarms.

Antivirus solutions that incorporate advanced detection methods can provide better security without compromising usability.

Oct 17, 2023
Now, if a file is not malicious but still gets isolated because it’s unknown, it can be frustrating, especially if you need to use that file. it can be overzealous, leading to false positives where harmless files are flagged and quarantined. This can disrupt your workflow and require you to go through additional steps to whitelist the file, which can be a hassle.
It’s essential for antivirus software to have a high detection rate and to be able to distinguish between actual threats and false alarms.

Antivirus solutions that incorporate advanced detection methods can provide better security without compromising usability.
The unknown files gets sent to Valkyrie in the cloud where Static and Dynamic Analysis determine if that file is good or bad once the verdict is found it will be added to the database

Shadowra

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
COMODO Internet Security 2025 Premium software has been recoded from scratch???
What? The User Inteface?

Several things:

- The interface (which I don't like)
- Major corrections to the Sandbox
- Sandbox finally isolates scripts (JAR, VBS, JS etc)
- The anti-malware engine is much faster (but still as bad)

Pico

Level 4
Feb 6, 2023
Several things:

- The interface (which I don't like)
- Major corrections to the Sandbox
- Sandbox finally isolates scripts (JAR, VBS, JS etc)
- The anti-malware engine is much faster (but still as bad)

That's not what I would call "recoded from scratch".
These are only some "improvements" and bug fixes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.