Not open for further replies.

Malware Man

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 2, 2013
Hello,

Sorry if a thread like this has already been started. I cannot seem to find one about it. :huh:

Which do you prefer? Why?

Which is the best, in terms of:
-Overall Features?
-Detection?
-Removal?
-HIPS?
-User Interface?
-RAM Usage?
-Etc (anything else you may want to add)

Malware Man

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 2, 2013
Well right now I am testing out Eset Antivirus since I feel no need for the firewall, antispam or anti theft components. First I changed the HIPS to learning mode and launched everything I use then put it on interactive mode so it will alert me for everything new I try to do. I'm not sure how good or strong Eset's HIPS is but it's antivirus has a pretty good detection rate as well as it's website filter/blocker.

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
Perhaps that's a question for commodo devs? Why did they include the high setting in the first place?

That is a good question.
I know that increasing the heuristics settings on Avira used to make a great difference. That is one reason that I used to use Avira.

So if a low heuristics settings is no less effective than a high heuristics setting, why have heuristics at all?
Maybe that IS the question.

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
That question was rhetorical.
Comodo is obviously not the only AV with adjustable heuristics settings.
I find it hard to believe that adjusting it makes little difference in security capabilities.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Gnosis said:
Perhaps that's a question for commodo devs? Why did they include the high setting in the first place?

That is a good question.
I know that increasing the heuristics settings on Avira used to make a great difference. That is one reason that I used to use Avira.

So if a low heuristics settings is no less effective than a high heuristics setting, why have heuristics at all?

In a practical term, its design to detect unknown behavior by a generic detection which compared on signatures.

However a bit slight importance when HIPS, BB, Virtualization and etc were primary defense.

House_maniac

Level 1
Sep 21, 2011
jamescv7 said:
Gnosis said:

That is a good question.

In a practical term, its design to detect unknown behavior by a generic detection which compared on signatures.

However a bit slight importance when HIPS, BB, Virtualization and etc were primary defense.
yes from what i know heuristic if set high will lead to more false positive as its studies somehow the coding and the behavior of the file itself,so yes its more false positive as well as may be it could save you too but i guess its not needed as sandbox is already there for that!only paranoid user will set it to high correct me if i'm wrong.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
It depends for a user, when we say in a paranoid way then more security applications installed than maximize the settings.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
It depends for a user, when we say in a paranoid way then more security applications installed than maximize the settings.

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
only paranoid user will set it to high correct me if i'm wrong.

Your statement is not necessarily wrong. That said, I have it set to "high" and have had zero false positives on my business PC, which has all kinds of software that is routinely used that could easily trigger an FP.
You could easily argue that one that does not use Sandboxie at all times instead of security suite options and a broad list of on-demand security tools is paranoid as well. Any experienced user can get away with Sandboxie, all by itself, as long as they are not routinely downloading software from suspect sites. I am living proof of that. Security comes in many forms, layered, paid, free, and otherwise. They are all vulnerable at any given time, so "paranoia" is an enigma at best.

Amiga500

Level 12
Verified
Jan 27, 2013
Im using ESET smart security right now and have been for the past 2 weeks and it is very light and overall im extremely impressed.

I was a comodo user for many years but there security product has been extremely buggy lately and with every new release they are fixing 200 bugs apparently.

I dont download and install a lot of software like some users do,i simply install the programs i actually need on my computer and that is it,so i dont need fancy autosandboxes and hips etc.

If i do decide to download anything it gets thoroughly checked prior to installation so in my case all that fancy jazz which comes with comodo is simply not needed and a waste of computer resources.

The comodo av has become very heavy and the latest version was spiking terribly and it had to go.
I discovered ESET and i havent looked back since.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.