Advice Request Comodo Internet Security Setup/configuration thread

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Does this thread helped/informed you?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I am doing an experiment, I am adding my entire C drive to trusted files, to see what happens............
So far, so good. I am without trusted vendors, without cloud lookup, and with a humongous trusted files list.
Yesterday I got a Microsoft update for Office products, and Comodo automatically recognized Microsoft as a trusted installer (this is different from "trusted vendors"). The update went without a hitch.
This is not exactly how Comodo was intended to be used, but if it works, why not?

Av Gurus

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 22, 2014
Right now, I am doing an experiment, I am adding my entire C drive to trusted files, to see what happens............

Like this:
2.png

So far, so good. I am without trusted vendors, without cloud lookup, and with a humongous trusted files list.

Like this:
1.png

Last edited:

Av Gurus

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 22, 2014
I don't know, i ask you how you did.
Can you post some screenshots of your settings?

This pictures are from my virtual PC for testing Comodo.

Reactions: AtlBo

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
If you untick trusted installers, like you showed, won't you have a problem with Windows updates?
The only difference in my settings is that I left a check by "Trust files installed by trusted installers".

If you untick "Trust applications signed by trusted vendors", like shown in your screenshot, then you save yourself the need to delete the entries on the trusted vendors list.

If you want to trust a few vendors, then leave a check by "Trust applications signed by trusted vendors".
And before you add your C drive to trusted files, first set up the trusted vendors list the way you like. This will save time in the end, if you do it in this order.

EASTER

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
May 9, 2017
Well I only recently returned to using CFW 10 and I must say in all honesty that it has matured far more than I imagined it ever would become and that is a nice surprise from my end to learn of with this current version.

One item that escapes my understanding though I like cleared up, on the Unblock List, if you Unblock anything in that particular list, CFW declares it will not alert to it again.

Is there some form or fashion to simply just clearing that list without fear that the unblocked item(s) will remain unblocked indefinitely to not be alerted on again and as such be allowed all the time afterwards?

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Well I only recently returned to using CFW 10 and I must say in all honesty that it has matured far more than I imagined it ever would become and that is a nice surprise from my end to learn of with this current version.

One item that escapes my understanding though I like cleared up, on the Unblock List, if you Unblock anything in that particular list, CFW declares it will not alert to it again.

Is there some form or fashion to simply just clearing that list without fear that the unblocked item(s) will remain unblocked indefinitely to not be alerted on again and as such be allowed all the time afterwards?
People have requested a way to clear the list, I assume that the feature will be included in a coming update of Comodo. At present, the only way to clear it is to click unblock on the items, and then you have to go and manually delete the rules it creates in HIPS and Containment and Firewall, if you don't want those rules. Once the file becomes trusted, the rules are basically superfluous, but on the other hand, they probably won't hurt you.

EASTER

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
May 9, 2017
People have requested a way to clear the list, I assume that the feature will be included in a coming update of Comodo. At present, the only way to clear it is to click unblock on the items, and then you have to go and manually delete the rules it creates in HIPS and Containment and Firewall, if you don't want those rules. Once the file becomes trusted, the rules are basically superfluous, but on the other hand, they probably won't hurt you.

Glad my post got moved here where this falls into line much better for addressing this question and other quips.

Ok, not really at this time any issue on this end but was curious if at present there was some setting for that maybe overlooked.

I am not going to be shy about it. I am really hooked on this version and is by far the best in all the times that I ever used it before which if I remember correctly was way back on 5 and 6 as Defense+

Thanks for the reply on that.

@Umbra- That's v.8 and although maybe mostly similar a v.10 rewrite might be a worthy gesture just to keep things current?

Volunteer?

Maxwell Sien

Level 2
Verified
Nov 15, 2016
He means look at how they formatted their configuration and copy that format with your settings in this thread.

Well, i see.. But i don't mean to share the entire settings. Just want to share a few additional Rules in HIPS to protect (lock) some critical Registry keys if a user accidentally set HIPS to allow Malware to run.

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Well, i see.. But i don't mean to share the entire settings. Just want to share a few additional Rules in HIPS to protect (lock) some critical Registry keys if a user accidentally set HIPS to allow Malware to run.
so just put your recommendations here ;)

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.