Comodo Internet Security

Product name
Comodo internet security: https://www.comodo.com/home/internet-security/free-internet-security.php
Installation (rating)
4.00 star(s)
User interface (rating)
4.00 star(s)
Accessibility notes
interface simple and easy access;
Performance (rating)
4.00 star(s)
Core Protection (rating)
5.00 star(s)
Proactive protection (rating)
5.00 star(s)
Additional Protection notes
Program protect against ransomware, trojans, spywares;
Firewall excellent protection;
Containment or sandboxing very good!
Browser protection (rating)
5.00 star(s)
Positives
    • Freeware
    • Many features
    • Low impact on system resources
    • Highly configurable
    • Easy to use
    • Ransomware protection
    • Strong and reliable protection
    • Detects or blocks in the wild malware
    • Effective malicious URL blocking
    • Effective malware removal
    • Well designed, clear and easy to use interface
    • Multi-layer protection approach
Negatives
    • Scans can be rather slow
Time spent using product
Computer specs
Requirement:
windows 7 with updates KB4474419 and KB3033929 installed, windows 8 and windows 10
2 gigas RAM;
CPU pentium
Recommended for
  1. All types of users
  2. Multi-user devices
  3. Financial banking or trading
Overall rating
5.00 star(s)

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Vitali- For a CF download, go here: Free Firewall

and click the free Firewall box.

As to shutting off the anti-malware component:

a). Go into Settings>Advanced Protection>VirusScope and uncheck Enable VirusScope
b). Go into Settings>File Rating>File Rating Settings and uncheck the Enable Cloud lookup box

Personally I don't suggest that you do either of the above as neither VirusScope nor Cloud lookup should present any issues.

Hope this helped!

Meghan

Vitali Ortzi

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 12, 2016
Vitali- For a CF download, go here: Free Firewall

and click the free Firewall box.

As to shutting off the anti-malware component:

a). Go into Settings>Advanced Protection>VirusScope and uncheck Enable VirusScope
b). Go into Settings>File Rating>File Rating Settings and uncheck the Enable Cloud lookup box

Personally I don't suggest that you do either of the above as neither VirusScope nor Cloud lookup should present any issues.

Hope this helped!

Meghan
Thanks very much .
Yeah essentially I thought it was CIS since in the installation process it states so and the process names like CIS.exe confused me a little but if the above would work it would be as light as CF was in one of my old systems not that it wasn't way lighter then any AV I tested before hand but every small improvement count's in overall system responsiveness :)

Chuck57

Level 9
Well-known
Oct 22, 2018
I installed all of CIS, including antivirus. It's not the best in tests, but it's much, much lighter overall than Win Defender. Total, Firewall and antivirus is running right at 40MB. Scans are a bit slow, but not as slow as Defender on this box, and in the real world, the couple of other people I know swear by Comodo antivirus. I think it's the firewall that's caught stuff, and they think it's antivirus. All in all, Comodo firewall will do the job, and maybe the AV will help a little.

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
Seems they care more about money than having working product for their customers
As ForgottenSeer 823865 points out in the quote below they have a long history of this. I remember reading so many blog posts by their main man about how this new product would do this and that and shortly faterwards realising that it had been consigned to the ever growing pile of stalled developments from Comodo. "Good intentions, poor subsequent maintenance" may be the company motto.
High cpu usage? Sure, if you are using a toaster as computer.

It is foolish to use Comodo Internet Security. It is too heavy on the system and the AV component is a total loser. It's as bad as they come. If you want to use Comodo, you should use the Firewall version.
I installed CIS last weekend to see how it is these days, disabling everything apart from the firewall after a few hours, so my experience isn't exactly highly scientific but it doesn't show as using a lot of resources, CPU or otherwise, on the 5 year old desktop I installed it on. I wanted to see how Comodo controlling the firewall fares compared to just using Defender to manage it, so far I like what I see - better control over what seeks to make contact beyond our home network. It certainly highlights how often apps like Brave try to reach their 'update service', in the case of Brave it is persistently, even after I've just clicked on 'Block' in the Comodo firewall permissions window.
I don't use software with poor development, and Comodo is full of it, just look at all the abandoned projects...

Reactions: show-Zi and roger_m

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
The best way to use Comodo is to wait for a month after a new release. Then, check their forum and see how many complaints. Remember there will always be some because some people just should not be permitted to download or upgrade anything. If it looks good, then upgrade, or install the FW or suite.
Its very much like Microsoft Windows updates then!

Reactions: show-Zi and roger_m

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
Its very much like Microsoft Windows updates then!
I read a recent forum and it looks like I'm having trouble downloading the latest version. May be very similar to the issue of the edge update the other day!

I'm not currently using Komodo, but I'm still thinking, 'I want to use it again when a solid version comes out, even if it's not feature-rich.':)

Reactions: Stopspying

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
I read a recent forum and it looks like I'm having trouble downloading the latest version. May be very similar to the issue of the edge update the other day!

I'm not currently using Komodo, but I'm still thinking, 'I want to use it again when a solid version comes out, even if it's not feature-rich.':)
I am liking Comodo firewall since installing it a few days ago, I am using CS's settings (thanks CS). I'd previously been relying on Windows Defender firewall with Spy Shelter Free acting as the interface as it were, allowing/denying apps access to the internet etc. I'd noticed that some traffic was still getting through when SpyShelter was set to 'block network traffic', its Windows telemetry phoning home, this didn't used to be the case as far as I am aware. I wanted something to block ALL network traffic when I set it as such, Comodo firewall appears to have blocked the traffic that SpyShelter was not blocking. I am not entirely sure of this, I don't have hours to spend investigating it at the moment either, but for the time being I'm happier about it than I was.

Reactions: roger_m and Back3

Back3

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 14, 2019
I've been with Microsoft Defender and Comodo Firewall at CS settings for the last 3 weeks. Very stable and no notification from CF. I like it that way. I also have a lifetime licence of SpyShelter. Even after a few days, on my computer, it remains noisy. Very stable, light, but noisy. So I get bored and go back to Comodo. I also have the outbound firewall rules of SysHardener and Hard_Configurator with no issues. So it's CF or Windows firewall hardened.
SH and H_C are not on my PC anymore: I integrated their rules in the Windows Firewall.

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
... I also have a lifetime licence of SpyShelter. Even after a few days, on my computer, it remains noisy. Very stable, light, but noisy. So I get bored and go back to Comodo.......
Comodo seems to 'remember' permissions better than SpyShelter. I agree with SS being noisy at times, but in a way I'd rather be asked again, than assumptions being made on my behalf by software. I've found Windows UAC noisy recently too, since this months updates, e.g. when I reboot UAC always asks if Adguard should be allowed or not, when I've had AdGuard on the system for a long time.

Reactions: Back3

Back3

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 14, 2019
Comodo seems to 'remember' permissions better than SpyShelter. I agree with SS being noisy at times, but in a way I'd rather be asked again, than assumptions being made on my behalf by software. I've found Windows UAC noisy recently too, since this months updates, e.g. when I reboot UAC always asks if Adguard should be allowed or not, when I've had AdGuard on the system for a long time.
Maybe you should ask Adguard fans if this behavior is OK: it doesn't look normal to me!

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
Maybe you should ask Adguard fans if this behavior is OK: it doesn't look normal to me!
Yes, I think so too, thanks for the suggestion, it is on my 'to do' list, the last few days have been very busy for me.

Reactions: Back3

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.