Comodo Internet Security

Product name
Comodo internet security: https://www.comodo.com/home/internet-security/free-internet-security.php
Installation (rating)
4.00 star(s)
User interface (rating)
4.00 star(s)
Accessibility notes
interface simple and easy access;
Performance (rating)
4.00 star(s)
Core Protection (rating)
5.00 star(s)
Proactive protection (rating)
5.00 star(s)
Additional Protection notes
Program protect against ransomware, trojans, spywares;
Firewall excellent protection;
Containment or sandboxing very good!
Browser protection (rating)
5.00 star(s)
Positives
    • Freeware
    • Many features
    • Low impact on system resources
    • Highly configurable
    • Easy to use
    • Ransomware protection
    • Strong and reliable protection
    • Detects or blocks in the wild malware
    • Effective malicious URL blocking
    • Effective malware removal
    • Well designed, clear and easy to use interface
    • Multi-layer protection approach
Negatives
    • Scans can be rather slow
Time spent using product
Computer specs
Requirement:
windows 7 with updates KB4474419 and KB3033929 installed, windows 8 and windows 10
2 gigas RAM;
CPU pentium
Recommended for
  1. All types of users
  2. Multi-user devices
  3. Financial banking or trading
Overall rating
5.00 star(s)

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
I used it for a while & quite some headway, unfortunately I have other things to do with my life & keyboard & gave up for something that worked reliably - Last time I used it was last year & there was a lot to like on the flip side it was more annoying than one of my sister-in-laws & as unpredictable.

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
After reading about Comodo more, I've now determined that I don't love Comodo more than my dog.

In fact, I don't like Comodo at all anymore.

I now hate Comodo.
Name your dog 'comodo' and the problem will go away.:)
You can't expect to be able to spot scammers who pretend to be postmen, but they'll be monitoring your entry and exit at the front door. The dog being trained will continue to bark, so please soothe it well.🐶

koloveli

Level 4
Thread author
Well-known
Sep 13, 2012
High cpu usage? Sure, if you are using a toaster as computer.
And the other things are irrelevant.
You only need Hips, Sandbox and the Firewall. Period.

@koloveli Are you from Comodo, dev or something?
CPU usage It is not high;
most of the reported bugs are due to functions or improvements ...
setting or config : proactive security;
I'm just a user, a fan and a beta tester.
Comodo protects me since 2006, before being a fan or beta test.
I only share what I believe or won't hurt anyone ;)

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
CPU usage It is not high;
most of the reported bugs are due to functions or improvements ...
setting or config : proactive security;
I'm just a user, a fan and a beta tester.
Comodo protects me since 2006, before being a fan or beta test.
I only share what I believe or won't hurt anyone ;)
And you are fully entitled to your opinion, most comments on this forum are just opinion, we all like different things for various reasons :)

hexam

Level 1
Nov 28, 2018
interestingly I have been using it since 2006 and I have never had any infection problems.
Most of the reported bugs are superficial or as I always test, they are requests for improvements and not errors that compromise your security 😉

I can confirm this.
I have never had a malware infection, do online banking, configure comodo - proactive according to my needs based on cruelsister's suggestions. I also had problems with new versions but now everything runs smoothly with 7036 - and that with a still beta version.
If you don't want to deal with comodo in more detail, simply choose proactive internet security.
I have different configurations for different areas of application.
I don't even have problems like those mentioned in the comodo forum. A protection software that is completely successful for me and yes, with too many setting options for some, which can lead to confusion and problems if you do it wrong. But there are the original configurations.
No reason for me to use other software after so many, many years of really excellent protection.

EDIT: Yes, I'm from comodo as a simple user for more then 10 years - not more!
If there are once any problems due to security reasons, I would leave comodo.

Last edited:

Vitali Ortzi

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 12, 2016
Cons:
- full of bugs
- weak antivirus engine
- useless support
- no concept
- weak optimization
- weak web protection
- difficult removal
- comodo valkyrie is a joke
- high cpu usage
- product development is a joke
Usage depends upon configuration .
It can be theone of the most lightest security product with Cruel settings.
Everything else I agree 💯

Mahesh Sudula

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 3, 2017
Comodo concept here is totally wrong..instead of relying on proactive Behavior mechanisms they isolate each n evry file in sandbox ..and say PROTECTION ..this is how we work.

Instead of blacklisting the files based on hashes n Behavior they do SAND BOXING.

Extreme poor Signatures, almost non existent web level n Phishing detection-->the gateway of threats.

Paid version is rubbish..atleast no better than free version.

Sand boxing enviornment is different from catching threats in real world enviornment.

Sued several times by Microsoft n Google by issuing thousand of Security authenticated certificates to the C class vendors..no proper back ground check.

No technical upgrades..forums r filled with fan boys...un reliable decade old HIPS ...extreme poor whitelisting database...
FREE that's it...but that's not enough to score

Isolation enviornment..to defend against threats ??..with 100%✓ effectiveness..
OH COME ON !!!!....it is a Pain

Chuck57

Level 9
Well-known
Oct 22, 2018
Used Comodo off and on since they began offering their firewall, and was never infected or had a problem. That ended with v6914 which was a disaster, followed by other disasters. I removed it from my computer and said I'd never use it again, which with me means I might if they get the thing fixed.

I will argue with anyone about Comodo's high CPU or memory usage. Firewall on my laptop used no CPU and only 20 - 25 MB RAM, light and no noticeable slowdowns. I haven't used the antivirus because with the firewall properly configured you don't need it.

Nothing is invincible, and I'm sure there are things that can beat Comodo FW no matter how tight you configure it, but Comodo is arguably perhaps the strongest firewall on the market when properly configured, and it's free. And, I feel myself wanting to give it another chance. lol

Their antivirus is a different story in the various tests. In the real world, the couple or three people I'm aware of who use Comodo AV say it works fine and has protected them, and they swear by it. I can only take their word that it works. I've never used it, and 2 or 3 people isn't enough to make a statement.

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
Regarding the topic of comodo, the presence of the firewall is too large, so the evaluation of the entire sweets and the evaluation of fw tend to be confused.

When expressed as "cis ⁼ fw + hips + sd + av"
the impression is that poor av is perceived as a bottleneck.

Chuck57

Level 9
Well-known
Oct 22, 2018
Regarding the topic of comodo, the presence of the firewall is too large, so the evaluation of the entire sweets and the evaluation of fw tend to be confused.

When expressed as "cis ⁼ fw + hips + sd + av"
the impression is that poor av is perceived as a bottleneck.

I think you're correct, because the Firewall is the power behind the entire suite. In tests, the antivirus is abysmal. In the real world, based on only a couple or three people I've talked to, it seems to do well for them. But, I have never used the antivirus to be able to comment.

Properly set up, and I use Cruelsister's settings except keep the HIPS active, the firewall/sandbox/HIPS has never failed me, even before I saw Meghan's video. I don't have Comodo on my laptop at the moment, but probably will soon. I always seem to return to it, even after threatening to dump it forever.

Last edited:

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
I think you're correct, because the Firewall is the power behind the entire suite. In tests, the antivirus is abysmal. In the real word, based on only a couple or three people I've talked to, it seems to do well for them. But, I have never used the antivirus to be able to comment.

Properly set up, and I use Cruelsister's settings except keep the HIPS active, the firewall/sandbox/HIPS has never failed me, even before I saw Meghan's video. I don't have Comodo on my laptop at the moment, but probably will soon. I always seem to return to it, even after threatening to dump it forever.
I didn't find any benefit of actively introducing comodo av.
I thank comodo for configuring fw to be used separately from cis.;)

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
I was running Comodo Firewall for a while and had no issues and would consider using it again. I had all the extra features disabled, so it was running only as a firewall. For example, I did not want to use the sandbox. However, when I tested their antivirus, I found it to be very buggy.

Brahman

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
I used comodo for about 18 to 20 years to secure my systems. I am not saying that it was all bed of roses, had my share of problems, teething issues and such. But it never let me down and I have never had an infectious system at all. Comodo often forgets the principle that " if it ain't broken don't try to fix it" and the all hell breaks loose after that. If you are sitting at home and have nothing else to do, fixing these issues are fun but on the other hand if it's a production machine, you are doomed..all you want is to finish your work and go home, anything prevents you from doing that are a curse to you. I am sorry to say sometimes comodo is just that "curse".

Chuck57

Level 9
Well-known
Oct 22, 2018
The best way to use Comodo is to wait for a month after a new release. Then, check their forum and see how many complaints. Remember there will always be some because some people just should not be permitted to download or upgrade anything. If it looks good, then upgrade, or install the FW or suite.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.