Comodo Internet Security

Product name
Comodo internet security: https://www.comodo.com/home/internet-security/free-internet-security.php
Installation (rating)
4.00 star(s)
User interface (rating)
4.00 star(s)
Accessibility notes
interface simple and easy access;
Performance (rating)
4.00 star(s)
Core Protection (rating)
5.00 star(s)
Proactive protection (rating)
5.00 star(s)
Additional Protection notes
Program protect against ransomware, trojans, spywares;
Firewall excellent protection;
Containment or sandboxing very good!
Browser protection (rating)
5.00 star(s)
Positives
    • Freeware
    • Many features
    • Low impact on system resources
    • Highly configurable
    • Easy to use
    • Ransomware protection
    • Strong and reliable protection
    • Detects or blocks in the wild malware
    • Effective malicious URL blocking
    • Effective malware removal
    • Well designed, clear and easy to use interface
    • Multi-layer protection approach
Negatives
    • Scans can be rather slow
Time spent using product
Computer specs
Requirement:
windows 7 with updates KB4474419 and KB3033929 installed, windows 8 and windows 10
2 gigas RAM;
CPU pentium
Recommended for
  1. All types of users
  2. Multi-user devices
  3. Financial banking or trading
Overall rating
5.00 star(s)

limestree

May 19, 2020
It is foolish to use Comodo Internet Security. It is too heavy on the system and the AV component is a total loser. It's as bad as they come. If you want to use Comodo, you should use the Firewall version.
I agree that Comodo Internet Security is too heavy....

Chuck57

Level 9
Well-known
Oct 22, 2018
I don't know about the current version of their full suite or whether it's light or heavy on the system. In the past, I only used the firewall and don't recall any major delays. The antivirus sucks according to most tests, but the two or three people I've talked to who use it in the real world are happy with it and how it performs. I wonder if it isn't the firewall, HIPS, and sandboxing they're seeing work rather than the AV.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
I can't see any reason to use Comodo with such good suites in the world like Kaspersky, Bitdefender, Norton, ESET.

Why accept the risk with low development, bugs and low budget that Comodo has?
They have driven down ccav, also their extension in chrome webstore is dead, their secure browsers are outdated and something strange is happening on comodo side.....but the firewall and cis is still good product overall because the container does the job

And if you compare to free or even full suites, comodo probably is much lighter than the others even you install cis wich is enough for users comodo has

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
I can't see any reason to use Comodo with such good suites in the world like Kaspersky, Bitdefender, Norton, ESET.

Why accept the risk with low development, bugs and low budget that Comodo has?
I think the fact that software specialized for firewalls has become an endangered species is one of the reasons why we have to choose comodo.
We've heard a lot about bugs, but I think there's still a chance that it will grow into a great piece of software if you build it carefully.

Vitali Ortzi

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 12, 2016
I think the fact that software specialized for firewalls has become an endangered species is one of the reasons why we have to choose comodo.
We've heard a lot about bugs, but I think there's still a chance that it will grow into a great piece of software if you build it carefully.
You can use SEP as a firewall too.
But always better using a gateway firewall.
But if you don't have a few bucks any default deny firewall can suffice .

ChoiceVoice

Level 6
Verified
Oct 10, 2014
so much negativity for comodo on here. true, they have mediocre sigs, but do we really want all the AV companies using bitdefender's engine and sigs, lol. i kinda like a company that develops their own thing. and besides that, they have additional mechanisms that compensate for the poor sigs. your system isn't really infected if it's in the sandbox. so if a new malware is isolated from your system, and later removed (when comodo's slower sigs catch up), it is still removed and your system secured. while a competitor might let that new malware enter your system unhindered and create havoc (because without the sig it isn't a recognized threat), and after it's too late try to clean it up after they discover this new threat. while they may develop the sig faster, if infected, your clean up is going to be far worse.

hexam

Level 1
Nov 28, 2018
while a competitor might let that new malware enter your system unhindered and create havoc (because without the sig it isn't a recognized threat), and after it's too late try to clean it up after they discover this new threat. while they may develop the sig faster, if infected, your clean up is going to be far worse.

For wide more than a decade with comodo I never had problems with malicious software.
I didn't only installe cis. Based on cruelsister's settings I modified CIS, added rules, block rather than allowing. You have to know and understand the interrelations between the components, otherwise problems will occur.

With all the negativity you can read about CIS (also in this forum), my PC should be full of trojans, worms, rootkits and all the spies, but it's not. With comodo I shouldn't dare to use it with sensitive work. I do it because with comodo I am indeed well protected.

That's real-world-protection! And I chose comodo not because it is free, but because it protects. If this is no longer the case, I will choose another program.

Vitali Ortzi

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 12, 2016
For wide more than a decade with comodo I never had problems with malicious software.
I didn't only installe cis. Based on cruelsister's settings I modified CIS, added rules, block rather than allowing. You have to know and understand the interrelations between the components, otherwise problems will occur.

With all the negativity you can read about CIS (also in this forum), my PC should be full of trojans, worms, rootkits and all the spies, but it's not. With comodo I shouldn't dare to use it with sensitive work. I do it because with comodo I am indeed well protected.

That's real-world-protection! And I chose comodo not because it is free, but because it protects. If this is no longer the case, I will choose another program.
Can you share your settings?
Or export and send me the config file via a PM ?

I'm very interested into different ways to optimize it.

So far using it only in one family shared Device since even with it's false positives it is better then using other default deny because it has auto isolation of and a really good firewall to block mostly outbound ##### but some inbound as well .

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
IT was so promising when they released comodo cloud av, but after that its been downhill... buggy software wich gets updates 2 times a year

Browser extension - dead
browsers - outdated ( dead soon?)
ccav - dead
dns - branded from neustar

Even their trusted members from forums are getting tired of this nonsense

Brahman

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
IT was so promising when they released comodo cloud av, but after that its been downhill... buggy software wich gets updates 2 times a year

Browser extension - dead
browsers - outdated ( dead soon?)
ccav - dead
dns - branded from neustar

Even their trusted members from forums are getting tired of this nonsense
Don't worry.it is a default practice from comodo to bring up new products and kill the same after some period of time. The only thing which is guaranteed to be there is CIS. Everything else is just a timepass for them.

Vitali Ortzi

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 12, 2016
Please don't use config files from another system. Cis is not so good at importing config files. Even importing your own backed up config files can cause stability issues. It is better to have everything done afresh.
Thanks for pointing out !
I usually copy paste CS Settings from memory and add some of my own rules .

But anyway I rarely use CS these days even though it's a very good free product apart from the bugs of course

I usually use H_C with SEP/ IPS firewall for hardened Config or SEP IPS / firewall with Kaspersky free.

Last edited:

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
Please don't use config files from another system. Cis is not so good at importing config files. Even importing your own backed up config files can cause stability issues. It is better to have everything done afresh.
You should check all items after importing the settings. Part of the existing settings will be overwritten. I remember there was a duplicate in the global settings in my environment.

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
CIS can still be a decent solution if you have configured it right for a normal user. I have it running in one of the systems which my son uses (gaming and browsing web) and no issues whatsoever.

Personally however, I prefer 5.12 version but that version is rather ancient now. Neverthless I rather have CIS than some of the free solutions out there.

Vitali Ortzi

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 12, 2016
How to get rid of the anti-malware CMD agent ?
what components activate it?
I'm using cruel sister settings in fake CF actually CIS because this is what is available from comodo directly when you download CF nowadays.
Reasons to do so is that I want to reduce some resource usage and attack surface.

I know I can just use an older real CF version from a mirror and check signatures but not sure about security and stability issues it might cause .

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.