Comodo's GeekBuddy

Status
Not open for further replies.

3link9

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
So for years Comodo has been pushing its geek buddy tech support and it seems to have been getting pretty ridiculous (You see it everywhere in CIS) and in my opinion its weakening Comodo's reputation. Theres also not much discussion about it anywhere and not many reviews and videos of Geek Buddy. I've found some videos showing users trying greek buddy and I see it looks like Comodo is using a sale pitch and looks like what those fake tech support scammers do. The price is worth noting also. ($199.99 a/year) I would like to open a discussion about it and see what you guys think. I'll post some of the videos I came across.

thepierrezou

Level 8
Verified
Sep 25, 2013
Whatt ?? These vidéos are scary. I didn't know it were like that.
It's just ridiculous.
Comodo is just not serious, they sell certificate to malware writters, they make software and don't update them, they can say "With like comodo dragon you are protected" It's updates maybe three time in a year.

Reactions: Andrew999
H

hjlbx

COMODO Geek Buddy = technical support + they will try to sell you additional software and services.

This is no different than Microsoft Technical Support and many other security soft vendors.

Anyone who has used any technical support - from most any software\hardware vendor is - well - disappointed.

Technical support is generally rated a miserable, frustrating, disappointing experience - from most any soft\hardware vendor.

The quality of the actual support is only as good as the knowledge of the technician that provides the support.

COMODO is no worse than any other.

Just don't use Geek Buddy; there is no obligation to use it.

The cost, like all technical support plans, is ludicrous for what you get (= the vast majority of the time what you get is NOT certified expert technicians, but instead technicians that have a little knowledge and must follow a written procedure under all circumstances = it takes days to fix your problem - if it is fixed at all).

COMODO gives user the option not to install GeekBuddy or it can be disabled.

I assume anyone who is here at MT already has a leg up on soft vendor tactics, then they should know it's a waste of money.

The one exception is Enterprise, but that is a different story...

Last edited by a moderator:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
COMODO Geek Buddy = technical support + they will try to sell you additional software and services.
Agree with above, so avoid using any sort of subscription-based Remote Access/Support tool.

People are more-than capable of troubleshooting their PC, or are able to seek free online help.

Connected to a session using a Trial version.

Kyle: Happy New Year!! Welcome to COMODO GeekBuddy Live PC Support. I am Kyle. It looks like our COMODO GeekBuddy Free Diagnostic tool detected an issue with your computer which may be affecting its performance. I can definitely help fix these issues and assist you in keeping your PC safe, protected, and maintained. I can continue chatting with you or [...]
Kyle: May I have your name and email address just to update our customer records?

I am not interested in purchasing a subscription of GeekBuddy.

Kyle: We provide free computer diagnostics. If we need an expert GeekBuddy technician to fix the issue, we need to upgrade your subscription.

Asked what does the Trial version offer?

Kyle: For trial version, you dont have tech support for pc issues

The Free Diagnostic Report didn't show any errors relating to performance, but only showed no Malware Protection.

Kyle: In order to start the free diagnostic service and identify the current issues, I will have to remotely connect to your computer with your permission. Please accept the remote access by pressing “YES” at the top of your GeekBuddy chat window message.

Does the Free Diagnostic tool work without a GeekBuddy Technician?

Kyle: No actually because we have to fix it manually

I politely say I would like to learn about fixing the issue.

Kyle: In order for me to figure out and fix the issue, I will need remote access. You will still have control of your computer and can cancel the remote session at any time.

Temporarily ignoring the Remote request, I ask if there is any free software that can Scan my computer?

Kyle: Yes
Kyle: just go to www.comodo.com
Kyle: That Comodo Internet Security you look it on our website

Start downloading the Free Internet Security (aka Comodo Internet Security), then ask if [CIS] will fix the issue.

Kyle: Actually if there issues detected by geekbuddy we have to fix it manually
Kyle: No

Cancelled the download. Disconnected from session, and reset [VM].

Is this what it looks like on their end?
http://wac.livepcsupport.com/images/technician_console.png

H

hjlbx

Agree with above, so avoid using any sort of subscription-based Remote Access/Support tool.

My general recommendation is:
  • Disable remote connection functionality in Windows.
  • Don't install GeekBuddy [remote access support tool].
  • Don't utilize support chat.
Of course, someone who does not know any better is at risk.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
As we all know support systems are bind of numerous flaws and problems that those staffs are not undergone the standards of how situation should handle.

It exist everywhere and Comodo's Geekbuddy serves how does not different compare to others when providing help.

Money and policy binds to act for them.

Reactions: hjlbx
D

Deleted member 178

all those hotlines have common points :

- located in cheap salary countries
- underqualified employee
- follow script based procedure ( "if customers say A go to C if say B go to D"; etc...)
- May have some contract with phone companies; longer you stay with them more they benefit.

Av Gurus

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 22, 2014
The second video is mine (almost 2 years old) ;).
They are so LOOOOOOOOL....and then I was :mad:...very disappointed...o_O

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.