Advice Request Companion for Norton?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xsjx

Level 13
Verified
Feb 21, 2017
Yeah I used the trial for the Pro version, it also said Pro in the GUI.
It can also be that it isnt enabled in trial who knows? Or that the bh blocker now only looks for certain changes or files..
Idk
Thats why it would be good if Avira has a MalwareTips account ;(

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
I don't know what they are planning and it doesn't matter.. it's about what is happening now., point is they failed to block any of the behavior I tested from unknown samples to their cloud. Whether I made them or not is irrelevant, the activity was still malicious and can do a lot of damage in the wild is used properly. E.g. injection can be used to make a formgrabber into a web browser and steal credentials to banking websites... not difficult, and Avira would have no clue about it unless it picked up the launcher/DLL as malicious via static methods lol

As for their cloud network, did a great job detecting the unknown brand new samples with absolutely no packing and obvious suspicious factors. Don't think it's weird that a program about 5mb in size which had been file padded to boost the file size and had "Piriform Ltd." as the company name info without a digital signature that imports very little functions, but especially functions like WriteProcessMemory, QueueUserAPC, CreateRemoteThread? lol

IMO it's a joke but ofc if you like it and anyone else wants to use it then np, I just shared the results since you seemed confident that it had a better BB than Emsisoft. that being said, I am not even a fan of Emsisoft that much anymore as it didn't work too well for me lately, but even Emsisoft can block things like DLL injection lol

Thanks for your tests Wave. Which antivirus do you use?

Darkbluesky

Level 1
Thread author
Mar 12, 2017
Update of the original subject:

I have tested ZAM, ZAL, HMPA, VS, and I am at a point that I am seriously wondering if I really need some companion for Norton, or should I let it alone... Shall I ?

I mean all these are fine, and do not take a lot of resources, but I have the feeling (not the proof) that Norton protect me too from the threads these tools protect me (correct me if I am wrong; exploits, identity, malware, ransomware...), so more or less all are redundant... Maybe ransomware protection could justify (because of its potential damage) another software -just in case, I ignore how good is Norton for ransomware-, but then Zemana seems best for that, and is HMPA worth as anti-exploit or Norton is enough? Pfff....

Maybe a locally-based one, could be a good companion (to use when offline)... for the moment, although not very convinced, ZAM/ZAL seems to fit best...and still wondering if HMPA is worth in my case (AFAIK ZAM/ZAL and HMPA are not equivalent, isn't?).

Well, I feel like playing lottery when choosing some companion for Norton. Maybe I'll think twice and take a cup of coffee (or two).

Of course another alternative is to change Norton for Emsisoft, Avira, ESET or other, but I prefer to check this later, not right now.

Last edited:
D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

I am answering to the thread.
Companion for Norton?
Simple. Shadow Defender just restart and all infections are gone:).
By the way as @Sr. Normal 2.0 suggested VoodooShield is a nice addition even the free version and adding to those 2 Shadow Defender
i believe you will be more than ok;).
Just my opinion
Agreed, Voodooshield takes a bit practise to learn though, unless its run in Autopilot.
My question is, should I look for another antimalware software to add an extra layer?
I would suggest Shadow Defender (on-demand) as well for Norton. If you are looking more into real-time addition for Norton, then i would say HMP.A, just personal opinion, as i find it very reliable if you use latest stable builds and it does not require much knowledge how to use it, it just works out of the box with few settings changed for better protection. But you could just save money and leave Norton alone, use free ZAM as on-demmand scanner, practise a Safe Browsing habits, and always have a Backup of you OS image/Documents to be safe. :) Feel free to post your security setup at Security Configuration Wizard

Last edited by a moderator:

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
My question is, should I look for another antimalware software to add an extra layer? Sometimes I think it would be interesting, even if it is only to double-check a Norton positive...on the other hand
No.
I like to use Microsoft Edge as inet browser, but that means that I miss all the web (safeweb, etc) protection of Norton (not available yet for Edge), so this is another reason why I am looking for an additional layer, but it complicates more the choice for me. Which one would fit?
Edge is fine especially with adblockers exposing you to less and as long as you update.
You've used these for years haven't you so you'll be fine. Updates are good enough of a mitigation to be able to only be infected from your own folly as a home user - but you've used it for years.

Reactions: tonibalas

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
@Darkbluesky as other members suggested i would leave Norton alone for real time protection.
i would add some 2nd opinion scanners ZAM and EEK both free.
As for ransomware protection
1) back up your system.
2) Sahdow Defender, restart and you are back to normal and itdoesn't cost a lot.
Just my opinion, i hope i have helped;)

Xsjx

Level 13
Verified
Feb 21, 2017
UPDATE:
Avira blocks in EDGE :)
YOu should be fully protected by Avira ;)

Xsjx

Level 13
Verified
Feb 21, 2017
Hello! I think Norton is enough. If you're paranoid about security you could change Sonar to aggressive and install Zemana as a second opinion scanner without real time protection
He want to use Edge so he doenst have any protection on edge...
And Avira has like 11 or more than 11 engines ;)

Reactions: Pearl96

Pearl96

Level 5
Verified
Jan 14, 2017
He want to use Edge so he doenst have any protection on edge...
And Avira has like 11 or more than 11 engines ;)

In this case I think he should go for Emsisoft or Eset. Both offer great multi-layered protection and he'll be protected while using edge. Once Avira develop its BB or implement new protection layers I would for sure recommend it but not in its current state. I am not saying Avira is bad but it still lacks some essential parts in terms of its layers.

Xsjx

Level 13
Verified
Feb 21, 2017
In this case I think he should go for Emsisoft or Eset. Both offer great multi-layered protection and he'll be protected while using edge. Once Avira develop its BB or implement new protection layers I would for sure recommend it but not in its current state. I am not saying Avira is bad but it still lacks some essential parts in terms of its layers.
It doenst lack... ( 11 engines,cloud )I stop here becus its getting off topic...

Reactions: Pearl96

Darkbluesky

Level 1
Thread author
Mar 12, 2017
Ok. Thanks to everybody for their contributions and advice. Really I have two lines:

1- Keep Norton and eventually add a second protection
2- Replace Norton (and eventually add a second protection or not)

For each option I think I can 'conclude':

1-Keep Norton and add Zemana, or maybe HMP as second option, maybe even ZAM Premium or HMPA if I wish so. I even tested both (ZAM + HMPA) together with Norton, and I had no problems between them, neither regarding system resources (they are so lightweight that I don't notice they are there doing real-time scanners, and the system is smooth). So, as second option scanner one of these (ZAM or HMP) seem the best option, and I have still the possibility even to put them both in real time if I'd wish so, with no impact.

2-Consider changing to Emsisoft, Avira, ESET. I have to make my homework. For the moment, I am not willing to test this option, as I just finish a nightmare of more than 15 days without PC because of hardware crash and no backups. So, after recovering data and re-configuring OS from scratch I am planning and running my backup strategy, etc, and I have a lot of things to do that I couldn't attend because of the crash. It would be interesting also to see if these are less cloud-based than Norton (or at least if they keep their detection efficiency when offline). Maybe I'll test them sooner than I foresee, but I dunno for now.

Regarding Edge, the option 2 would open new possibilities, but as someone commented/adviced, I think I'll use it with SmartScreen, good practives and *maybe* consider adding HMPA for its anti-exploit features. Will see, as I don't want to stay like this -regarding Edge- for too long.

So for the moment I'll stay with option 1: Norton+ZAM, and I'll consider to add HMPA (for anti-exploit) in the future.

Considering Shadow Defender, I have learnt a bit about it, and it seems very good for testing purposes or when you feel there is risk, but for normal (24h) protection I don't see it convenient (any legitimate change on the system by user or program or windows itself, would be lost at reboot...and I don't see myselft excluding all processes of Windows, applications, etc). I'll keep it in mind for testing or risky operations, though.

Thank you to everybody for your help, it has been super fast and kind. I am still impressed (never found a forum so dynamic and willing to help).

Last edited:

Pearl96

Level 5
Verified
Jan 14, 2017
Ok. Thanks to everybody for their contributions and advice. Really I have two lines:

1-Keep Norton and add Zemana, or maybe HMP as second option, maybe even ZAM Premium or HMPA if I wish so. I even tested both (ZAM + HMPA) together with Norton, and I had no problems between them, neither regarding system resources (they are so lightweight that I don't notice they are there doing real-time scanners, and the system is smooth). So, as second option scanner one of these (ZAM or HMP) seem the best option, and I have still the possibility even to put them both in real time if I'd wish so, with no impact.

2-Consider changing to Emsisoft, Avira, ESET. I have to make my homework. For the moment, I am not willing to test this option, as I just finish a nightmare of more than 15 days without PC because of hardware crash and no backups. So, after recovering data and re-configuring OS from scratch I am planning and running my backup strategy, etc, and I have a lot of things to do that I couldn't attend because of the crash. It would be interesting also to see if these are less cloud-based than Norton (or at least if they keep their detection efficiency when offline). Maybe I'll test them sooner than I foresee, but I dunno for now.

Regarding Edge, the option 2 would open new possibilities, but as someone commented/adviced, I think I'll use it with SmartScreen, good practives and *maybe* consider adding HMPA for its anti-exploit features. Will see, as I don't want to stay like this -regarding Edge- for too long.

So for the moment I'll stay with option 1: Norton+ZAM, and I'll consider to add HMPA (for anti-exploit) in the future.

Considering Shadow Defender, I have learnt a bit about it, and it seems very good for testing purposes or when you feel there is risk, but for normal (24h) protection I don't see it convenient (any legitimate change on the system by user or program or windows itself, would be lost at reboot...and I don't see myselft excluding all processes of Windows, applications, etc). I'll keep it in mind for testing or risky operations, though.

Thank you to everybody for your help, it has been super fast and kind. I am still impressed (never found a forum so dynamic and willing to help).

Great! Now I see that you've made up your mind. Option 1 is good enough to keep your system secure. If you consider going to option 2 in the future I recommend you go with Emsisoft. For me I prefer option 1! Wish you all the best ;)

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015

stick with Norton

Reactions: BugCode
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.