Advice Request Companion for Norton?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkbluesky

Level 1
Thread author
Mar 12, 2017
Hi,

I have Norton Internet Security in my PC, I use it for years and I am happy with it. At the same time I had Malwarebytes AntiMalware but recently I learnt (here) that it is no so-good as it used to be, and moreover it has an impact on my PC performance that I can't accept: browsing Windows explorer has a lag each time changing folder that drives me nuts, so I uninstalled it (I verified, and it was the cause. Confirmed).

So, I have looked for info here and found that Norton is considered a good one, and learnt about others (Emsisoft, Zemana, etc).

My question is, should I look for another antimalware software to add an extra layer? Sometimes I think it would be interesting, even if it is only to double-check a Norton positive...on the other hand, I like to use Microsoft Edge as inet browser, but that means that I miss all the web (safeweb, etc) protection of Norton (not available yet for Edge), so this is another reason why I am looking for an additional layer, but it complicates more the choice for me. Which one would fit?

If so, considering that I use Norton already, which one would you recommend? It is important that it is light-weight regarding resources impact (Norton indeed do not show any noticeable impact for me), so I was looking to Emsisoft based on reports here, but maybe other ones like HitmanPro, Zemana fit better for my case...?

Could you, that have more experience, help pointing me to some direction/software? Thank you very much!

Xsjx

Level 13
Verified
Feb 21, 2017
Hi,

I have Norton Internet Security in my PC, I use it for years and I am happy with it. At the same time I had Malwarebytes AntiMalware but recently I learnt (here) that it is no so-good as it used to be, and moreover it has an impact on my PC performance that I can't accept: browsing Windows explorer has a lag each time changing folder that drives me nuts, so I uninstalled it (I verified, and it was the cause. Confirmed).

So, I have looked for info here and found that Norton is considered a good one, and learnt about others (Emsisoft, Zemana, etc).

My question is, should I look for another antimalware software to add an extra layer? Sometimes I think it would be interesting, even if it is only to double-check a Norton positive...on the other hand, I like to use Microsoft Edge as inet browser, but that means that I miss all the web (safeweb, etc) protection of Norton (not available yet for Edge), so this is another reason why I am looking for an additional layer, but it complicates more the choice for me. Which one would fit?

If so, considering that I use Norton already, which one would you recommend? It is important that it is light-weight regarding resources impact (Norton indeed do not show any noticeable impact for me), so I was looking to Emsisoft based on reports here, but maybe other ones like HitmanPro, Zemana fit better for my case...?

Could you, that have more experience, help pointing me to some direction/software? Thank you very much!
I found norton pretty heavy on my system ( Ryzen ) So idk if u want to combine it with Something, But Zemana and hitmanpro does not have Browser protection..... so still nothing for you actually... But if u want to choose i should choose Zemana.

Other than that you can better use another av if you want to use microsoft Edge, Like Avira or something ( on your welcome post i said why )
But one thing Emsisoft isnt really an antimalware its just an av with a name as Antimalware ;) it will conflict with Norton.

Gdant

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Dec 6, 2014
You can add another real-time full AV like Emsiaoft but it will negatively impact your system resources and actually you shouldn't add two realtime full AV. Both have kind of behaviour detection SONAR from norton and Bhaviour Blocker from Emsisoft, so it is not good to use in real-time as they may conflict with each other and unnecessary utilisation of resources.

You can go for other second opinion scanner like Zemana, hitman pro which also has realtime module to protect you. i am using Zemana with ESET and don't have any problem.
Also you can use EEK as optional scanner if you feel you pc is infected as Emsisoft signatures are very good.

S

Sr. Normal 2.0

I´m using Norton with Voodooshield . Great defense.

Qaxxf9l.png

XTYhhMX.png

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
You can add another real-time full AV like Emsiaoft but it will negatively impact your system resources and actually you shouldn't add two realtime full AV. Both have kind of behaviour detection SONAR from norton and Bhaviour Blocker from Emsisoft, so it is not good to use in real-time as they may conflict with each other and unnecessary utilisation of resources.

You can go for other second opinion scanner like Zemana, hitman pro which also has realtime module to protect you. i am using Zemana with ESET and don't have any problem.
Also you can use EEK as optional scanner if you feel you pc is infected as Emsisoft signatures are very good.
FYI, Zemana and HMP would not work without an internet. So no protection by them.

Darkbluesky

Level 1
Thread author
Mar 12, 2017
Thanks HarborFront, I didn't know. I would prefer some software that works offline too (so that downloads the signatures/updates). It seems it is not easy...

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
Thanks HarborFront, I didn't know. I would prefer some software that works offline too (so that downloads the signatures/updates). It seems it is not easy...

You can use MBAM itself but with real-time protection disabled if you want offline protection, and this doesn't impact system performance as much. After all it works better as an on-demand scanner.

Gdant

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Dec 6, 2014
FYI, Zemana and HMP would not work without an internet. So no protection by them.
yes, now-a-days most of us have access to internet all the time and moreover zemana premium has offline signatures with real-time which even works good when offline.

Darkbluesky

Level 1
Thread author
Mar 12, 2017
I have been looking into that, seems that Zemana, has ZAL which sounds interesting (if after all I would go with a paid version), only that I don't know if it would be redundant with Norton (it seems not to have problems with Norton, though see post #12 Zemana Antimalware vs. Zemana AntiLogger)

On the other hand people seems to talk very well of HPA, even -reading around here- it could be run alongside ZAL, but wouldn't it ZAL+HPA+Norton be overkill (aside of yearly cost)? HPA can work offline?

And still Edge would be unprotected, I guess. I keep reading. Tx!

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Adding another real-time scanner, such as Zemana, is likely to slow down your computer, and it is questionable how much it will really help you.

If you want a significant increase in your security, use an anti-exe such as voodooshield or novirusthanks exe radar pro, both of which have free versions.

Another good option is a strong anti-exploit app, such as hitmanpro.ALERT. Unlike the regular hitmanpro, the ALERT version is not signature-based and protects against a variety of exploits. It includes strong browser protection.

Xsjx

Level 13
Verified
Feb 21, 2017
I have been looking into that, seems that Zemana, has ZAL which sounds interesting (if after all I would go with a paid version), only that I don't know if it would be redundant with Norton (it seems not to have problems with Norton, though see post #12 Zemana Antimalware vs. Zemana AntiLogger)

On the other hand people seems to talk very well of HPA, even -reading around here- it could be run alongside ZAL, but wouldn't it ZAL+HPA+Norton be overkill (aside of yearly cost)? HPA can work offline?

And still Edge would be unprotected, I guess. I keep reading. Tx!
Did you try Avira ;) With avira you dont need any second opinion becus it has like 8 engines in the cloud ;)

Darkbluesky

Level 1
Thread author
Mar 12, 2017
I am going to test it, but as it is a 'major' change, I want to set up and perform first backup of system, data, and photos. Then I'll try it. BTW, for what I have read, it seems that Avira does not support -yet- Edge (just as Norton), am I wrong?

Reactions: Xsjx
W

Wave

Did you try Avira ;) With avira you dont need any second opinion becus it has like 8 engines in the cloud ;)
Avira isn't very reliable for OP necessarily, since OP is asking this question I assume that he is not the strongest user (hopefully no offence taken), and Avira pretty much relies on signatures for a majority, if not all the protection... they need to step up their game IMO

@OP I recommend just sticking with Norton and making sure you keep SmartScreen enabled, and make good decisions as much as possible (e.g. do research before downloading new apps, only visit sites you trust, etc), or just switch to Emsisoft.

That being said if you do not be careful then you'll probably end up infected regardless of what security product you choose. I recommend you test out different products and stick to one you feel comfortable with using

Reactions: Sr. Normal 2.0

Xsjx

Level 13
Verified
Feb 21, 2017
Avira isn't very reliable for OP necessarily, since OP is asking this question I assume that he is not the strongest user (hopefully no offence taken), and Avira pretty much relies on signatures for a majority, if not all the protection... they need to step up their game IMO

@OP I recommend just sticking with Norton and making sure you keep SmartScreen enabled, and make good decisions as much as possible (e.g. do research before downloading new apps, only visit sites you trust, etc), or just switch to Emsisoft.

That being said if you do not be careful then you'll probably end up infected regardless of what security product you choose. I recommend you test out different products and stick to one you feel comfortable with using
Wave srs? Avira pro has Behavior blocker heuristics and cloud with 8 other engines than Avira.....

"Product of the YEAR Avira antivirus PRO"

Also Avira does protect Edge..

Its just painfull no one looks further than the specs of Avira free.....

Reactions: Wave
W

Wave

Wave srs? Avira pro has Behavior blocker heuristics and cloud with 8 other engines than Avira.....

Also Avira does protect Edge..
The heuristics is static based just like checksum detection, while they do have good signatures to be fair to them... not hard for someone to evade detection from within a minute of searching for a new packer online, another minute to apply the packing to their sample

secondly, yes avira may have dynamic components like anti-ransomware however I've tested it countless times and not once did it ever prevent anything. i had more success with getting BD anti-ransomware to work lol

the 8 other engines don't matter, that's all static based... once again, very easy to avoid.

signatures are obsolete, static heuristics is becoming obsolete as well now. because if you cannot unpack the sample, you cannot scan it properly, and you shouldn't just auto-flag packed samples (unless its a packer specifically designed for malware, but some malware uses a new unique packer each time to prevent generic detection for them) because genuine software uses some packers like UPX too for file compression or even protection

hmmm... then again I could be wrong about Avira, I wish someone from Avira was present here so set the facts straight...

Xsjx

Level 13
Verified
Feb 21, 2017
The heuristics is static based just like checksum detection, while they do have good signatures to be fair to them... not hard for someone to evade detection from within a minute of searching for a new packer online, another minute to apply the packing to their sample

secondly, yes avira may have dynamic components like anti-ransomware however I've tested it countless times and not once did it ever prevent anything. i had more success with getting BD anti-ransomware to work lol

the 8 other engines don't matter, that's all static based... once again, very easy to avoid.

signatures are obsolete, static heuristics is becoming obsolete as well now. because if you cannot unpack the sample, you cannot scan it properly, and you shouldn't just auto-flag packed samples (unless its a packer specifically designed for malware, but some malware uses a new unique packer each time to prevent generic detection for them) because genuine software uses some packers like UPX too for file compression or even protection
Stop looking at the free version....... PRO has Zero Day components LIKE behavior blocker...
And i find it better than the emsisoft bb blocker....

And you are asking someone to confirm from Avira.. Everything i say from the bh blocker comes from the support of avira... ( asked it via email support )

W

Wave

Stop looking at the free version....... PRO has Zero Day components LIKE behavior blocker...
And i find it better than the emsisoft bb blocker....
ok... could you elaborate a bit more? Post some screenshots of it in action, or even the configuration settings to show what it supports? thx :)

edit: sorry I misread the post you said "i find it better" I didn't see that part so edited the above

Xsjx

Level 13
Verified
Feb 21, 2017
hahahaha ok yeah I'm sure it is much better than the Emsisoft BB... could you elaborate a bit more, it's quite a big statement? Post some screenshots of it in action, or even the configuration settings. thx :)
No i dont say anything i find it better becus Emsisoft blocked like 8 of my games from steam... And the bh blocker is actually some half in cloud or something ;p
It works like treath emulation from Zonealarm but then also a bh blocker on the pc itself..

And for the ts as i can see it support edge going to test it in a hour for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.