Level 64
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 25, 2013
Source: http://www.net-security.org/secworld.php?id=16606

NSS Labs released the results and analysis from its latest Browser Security Comparative Analysis Report which evaluated the ability of eight leading browsers - Apple Safari, Google Chrome, Kingsoft Liebao, Microsoft Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Opera, Qihoo 360 Safe Browser, and Sogou Explorer – to block against socially engineered malware (SEM).

nss-browser042014.jpg

Eight leading browsers, including three from China, were tested against the Security Stack: Testing Methodology V1.5, using 657 samples of socially engineered malware (SEM) that were captured over 14 days in NSS Labs’ unique live testing harness. SEM attacks use several different methods to deceive users into downloading malicious software, but the browser is the primary vector for delivery of SEM and therefore is the first line of defense against such attacks. Block rates ranged from 99.9% to 4.1%, so download the full report to find out which browsers offer the most protection against socially engineered malware.

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
Is really ie the safest browser?
Quiet safe, The rich feature is that when u download an untrusted application the download stops immediately, I have ecperienced it myself , but some may be false positives. Now Browsers are safe, No antiviruses are perfect, the only matters is ur common-sense with an add-on called Think before u click.

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
It maybe safer, but it's too slow for my browsing habits, and furthermore there are no worthwhile extensions for it!
That's why I use Chrome/Firefox and common sense:)

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
It maybe safer, but it's too slow for my browsing habits, and furthermore there are no worthwhile extensions for it!
That's why I use Chrome/Firefox and common sense:)
I'm going to break this news to my wife. She'll be happy to hear she was "..right all along"!:D
Yes, speed, me, and my extensions too. (Sounds like a film!);) I suffer extension withdrawal each time I use IE. Thank goodness for Sandboxie!:p
I hope Internet Explorer will support addons like chrome in the future.
I agree! Wouldn't that be nice!?:)
I've a question about the term socially engineered malware (SEM). Does anyone know what those 'several different methods to deceive users into downloading malicious software' actually were, and if this in any way may refer to forms of correspondence such as instant messaging (as on Twitter or Facebook) including e-mail? Another question is whether anyone thinks IE's exclusion of Firefox & Chrome-like extensions has anything to do with it's higher performance on a test such as this.

Last edited:

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
know what I have been using internet explorer from past 7 days and i'm enjoying the way it acts. Its working smooth, light and faster than chrome and firefox. I have also added some decent tracking protection and it blocks ads, popups and unrated contents, I'm loving the way internet exp acts for me. What else I need when there is smooth experience in the browser with an inbuilt translator which is better than google translator. Unlike firefox it doesn't crashes for opening multiple tabs, doesn't show script errors and the download manager is excellent.
Top reasons for switching to IE
> I want my browser to be light and to not impact over system resources
> I don't want my browser to crash like FF every time when I visit some rich scripted website
> I wanted dropdown menu like firefox with chrome like speed, so I found that in IE and hence satisfied.
> I don't download much with IE, I use JD often . I use IE to download files which are less than 20 MB
> Finally it doesn't eat my battery like FF or CH , Its way stable than the other two.

Oxygen

Level 44
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
know what I have been using internet explorer from past 7 days and i'm enjoying the way it acts. Its working smooth, light and faster than chrome and firefox. I have also added some decent tracking protection and it blocks ads, popups and unrated contents, I'm loving the way internet exp acts for me. What else I need when there is smooth experience in the browser with an inbuilt translator which is better than google translator. Unlike firefox it doesn't crashes for opening multiple tabs, doesn't show script errors and the download manager is excellent.
Top reasons for switching to IE
> I want my browser to be light and to not impact over system resources
> I don't want my browser to crash like FF every time when I visit some rich scripted website
> I wanted dropdown menu like firefox with chrome like speed, so I found that in IE and hence satisfied.
> I don't download much with IE, I use JD often . I use IE to download files which are less than 20 MB
> Finally it doesn't eat my battery like FF or CH , Its way stable than the other two.
I always wanted to use IE11 but every time i try to use it at some point it says "Not Responding".

Reactions: Nikos751

Nikos751

Level 20
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
I always wanted to use IE11 but every time i try to use it at some point it says "Not Responding".
I have also tried to use it, but pages become less responsive if have many elements to load or scroll down a big page like fb news feed.

Reactions: Venustus

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
I have also tried to use it, but pages become less responsive if have many elements to load or scroll down a big page like fb news feed.
I do not have a wired broadband, I use a wireless 3G datacard which is unlocked and can use any sim in it, . I will be allocated with 1.8 GB per month with the speed upto 3.1 MBPS, later I will be trolled to 125 Kbps speed. Later after some 50 mb speed will be reduced to 20 Kbps, with this speed I browse the internet for another 14 days, know what the download speed is 2 Kbps , MT loads in IE without any obligations, I do get that error some times. But not always like u. I'm loving IE 10.

Reactions: Nikos751
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.