Advice Request Concern or discovery - what is the reason for changing the security setup?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
I have a similar case on the computer of my son. He downloaded a mod for some game (JSE compiled script). He installed the mod bypassing my anti-script protection because people on the game forum considered this JSE file as safe. It was not also detected by WD. In fact, it was bundled with cryptomining PUA. After a few days, he asked me for help. I quickly neutralized the malware by deleting the autorun key and after reboot, I checked the script on Virus Total. Only two AVs could detect it, because it used the legal cryptomining code. After several days the number of detections slowly increased.
Of course, I did not change the AV - it would be irrational in this case. The malware infections are random and WD has one of the best script detection. But, I can imagine that most people would change the AV simply by the fact of disappointment. Of course, changing WD to Kaspersky could be possible too.

Last edited:

SpiderWeb

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Aug 21, 2020
My security setup is based on the skepticism I have for AV vendors and hardware vendors with bad support for their drivers. But #1 reason is performance. One year Kaspersky is fast, the next it's sluggish, uninstall, try something else.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
In the past I've changed my antivirus due to performance issues, or just try to something else. However I've now been using one antivirus for two years on the main computer I use and have another computer with many different antiviruses installed on it, to satisfy my curiosity.

Last edited:

Nautilus

Level 2
Apr 27, 2020
I did swiitched av / security products for a couple years , much more than I changed my underwear. Because I got bored with product very quickly. Always striving for that perfect security combo , which in most cases was more paranoia than wisdom. now I tend to keeps things simple : just norton 360 as main defense an some on demand scanners. sometimes it takes a lot of time and learning it the hard way , that less is more!

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Usually curiosity or boredom,

Indeed, this! (y)
I have considered switching but don't want to be bombarded with different pop-ups such as; see your daily reports, activate this feature, renew licence, upgrade for better protection, speed up your PC, buy our system maintenance software, get better password protection, secure your connection with this VPN, etc.

Those are a few examples.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
In my case, it was looking for perfect security. Several years ago I used an overkill setup. My computer started for about 5 minutes until I could work on it. One day I had to repair something and the people in the service point could not even install drivers.:)🙃
LOL. I have had similar experiences, where a support rep couldn't help me, and it was my own fault. Made me feel pretty stupid, to the point of dumping advanced security apps. At least for a while.
Boredom.

Y'all lie if you don't say at least once you were bored and said "let's switch AV" and installed something else, at least for some weeks then go back.
Nowadays I am more likely to heal my boredom by switching my linux distro than by changing my windows security.

R2D2

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Aug 7, 2017
This problem was brought up many times in several threads. Some people think that fear can be the main reason for "security paranoia" and overkill setup. Others think that fun and discovery is more important. Many people changed the security setup after the malware infection or due to performance issues.So, what was the reason in your case?

I am not paranoid but I really like to check or experiment with new security software applications. I have current subscriptions to KTS, Norton 360, BDTS and MBAM. I usually uninstall/install the first 3 applications on a round-robin basis. MBAM co-exists with whatever takes my fancy but with real time scanning/monitoring switched off. I tried ESET recently but didn't take a shine to it. My all time favourites remain the same - Norton and KTS tie for 1st place followed very closely by BDTS. BDTS 2020 is good. I will not be renewing my MBAM subscription becase I find it quite expensive compared to what I pay for the other suites and it does not represent VFM. I no longer subscribe to Zemana (does it exist?) or Heimdal

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
I used to change antiviruses really often when I was young. Every time new test came I'd be uninstalling already installed antivirus and installing another one, just to test it out. As I grew older, I realized I don't need all that fancy protection modules and I've decided to use the free version of Avast. And I used it for a really long time, more than any other antivirus program. It was simple to use, offered great protection and they basically gained my trust. It was 2017 when I decided to stop using their products because of their bad decisions and reputation they got.
Then, I moved to Emsisoft Anti-Malware. It was and it is still my favorite piece of security software. If my license didn't expire, I'd still be using it today. However, since 2018, I'm using only the Windows Defender because free protection is enough for me. I mean, there was the time when I haven't used any security software yet I haven't got any malware. That being said, free protection is more than enough for me and I really don't see the point in paying for the software that won't have to do any job.

Last edited:

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
In my case, changing settings and software is like feeling romantic. If you are interested in it first, you will have a trial time called meal. If I don't like the UI or am more assertive than I expected and slow down my life rhythm, I uninstall it without a second meal.
In other words, until you have an intimate relationship with a certain person of the opposite sex, you do not assume a continuous relationship, so you will change the software restlessly.
This may be why I don't like software that leaves debris after uninstalling.🥴

ichito

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 12, 2013
Thru the years I've installed hundrets of security apps and its versions...sometimes 3-4 complete new setups a day in system. It was not due to infections issues...sometime by paranoia :cool: but rather due to searching something new...interresting...useful...and sometime because I wanted to remind apps from the past I've liked very much...just because of sentimets :)
Security is like undiscovered land in which we travel and search new places...some of them are usual or even boring for us...but some are like asylum to which we always want go back.

Last edited:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Reasons for change:
Simplicity.
I have a very simple and easy to use Windows 10 Security layout that works!

It is installed on others' computer for over 12 months now.
  • Windows 10 Home
  • Windows Defender Antivirus (default UAC, SmartScreen and Firewall) settings
  • Apps - Warn before installing apps outside of the Microsoft Store
  • Google Chrome OR Microsoft Edge
  • NVT SysHardener 1.5
  • Adguard Ad-blocker (easier UI) OR uBlock Origin
  • Malwarebytes Browser Guard
I did a off-chance scan with ESET Online Scanner and Malwarebytes AdwCleaner. Nothing was found. No adware, no malware.

You don't need 2 Antivirus, a Companion AV, with 12 browser extensions to protect you from the EICAR test file virus.

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
  • NVT SysHardener 1.5
Is there any advantage of using Malwarebytes Browser Guard on Edge (SmartScreen + PUA + Tracking prevention set to ON) with Ad-blocker?

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
I have a very simple and easy to use Windows 10 Security layout that works!

It is installed on others' computer for over 12 months now.
  • Windows 10 Home
  • Windows Defender Antivirus (default UAC, SmartScreen and Firewall) settings
  • Apps - Warn before installing apps outside of the Microsoft Store
  • NVT SysHardener 1.5
I did a off-chance scan with ESET Online Scanner and Malwarebytes AdwCleaner. Nothing was found. No adware, no malware.

You don't need 2 Antivirus, a Companion AV, with 12 browser extensions to protect you from the EICAR test file virus.
Great setup (y)
I'm going for a similar but slightly more aggressive setup:
  • Windows 10 Home/Pro (depending on what came with the system)
  • Windows Defender Antivirus (UAC to always notify, ConfigureDefender High settings)
  • Microsoft Edge/Google chrome (user preference, I prefer Edge)
  • Simple Windows Hardening (great support here)
  • uBlock Origin (finding it lighter than AdGuard)
  • Bitdefender TrafficLight (finding it lighter than Malwarebytes)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.