Troubleshoot Connect a Laptop to a pc Tower?

ravenosky

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jul 15, 2014
I have a PC tower but no monitor for it. It turns on, can get power, but I need to see what is on it. I have an idea to connect it to my laptop to play games with. Like install the games to the tower and access them via my laptop. Is this possible?

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
The VGA/HDMI ports on a laptop are most likely to be Outputs, compared to monitors that have Inputs.

Reactions: MrXidus
Upvote 0

Anupam

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2014
There is no easy way.

One thing you can do, get one USB TV Tuner card, Install it on your laptop, Connect PC tower's output to TV tuner card and and you will be able to see it on your laptop. Now do whatever you want to do on your PC Tower and use Laptop's Display.

Upvote 0

ravenosky

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jul 15, 2014
There is no easy way.

One thing you can do, get one USB TV Tuner card, Install it on your laptop, Connect PC tower's output to TV tuner card and and you will be able to see it on your laptop. Now do whatever you want to do on your PC Tower and use Laptop's Display.

There are a lot of different ones. Which would you recommend is best for an ASUS X53U with Windows 7 Home Premium and an AMD Radeon HD 6290 display driver?

Upvote 0

Anupam

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2014
There are a lot of different ones. Which would you recommend is best for an ASUS X53U with Windows 7 Home Premium and an AMD Radeon HD 6290 display driver?
I can't recommend because I havn't use any of them. Just see the Spec. Mainly you will be needing VGA to USB Tv Tuner card. Generally USB TV Tuners have AV or cable input. So be careful there.

Upvote 0

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
It's far easier to buy a new monitor, you could probably get a cheap 24-inch 1920x1080 PC monitor, rather than messing around with a TV tuner. I'm not a PC gamer, but I would have thought a direct connection to a monitor would have a better response time.

Upvote 0

Anupam

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2014
It's far easier to buy a new monitor, you could probably get a cheap 24-inch 1920x1080 PC monitor, rather than messing around with a TV tuner. I'm not a PC gamer, but I would have thought a direct connection to a monitor would have a better response time.

Completely Agree with you. Direct monitor will always have better response time and better picture quality. Most of the TV Tuners reduces the resolution.

Upvote 0

ravenosky

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jul 15, 2014
I plan to get a higher-end laptop in the near future, it all depends on how well things go at UPS Friday and if I get the job there. (I was recently told that ASUS only built this laptop of mine with the bare minimum needed to just barely hold Windows 7 and not much else although Win7 in the default OS they put on this). But my long term project is to turn that tower into a gaming one. I merely want to hook it up to this laptop so I can see what is on the hard drive and what I will need to work on to improve it for gaming. If I could modify a laptop the same way that I can a tower, I would. I typically despise all the wires and cables needed for a desktop and prefer the maneuverability of laptops. I wish I could somehow combine the two, but doesn't seem possible at the moment.

Upvote 0

ravenosky

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jul 15, 2014
Thanks I would prefer to be able to turn my current laptop into a gaming one. I see a lot of how-to's on how to build gaming laptops, and upgrade laptops to hold games. I know I can change out the hard drive and display drivers on laptops, but can't I change out other components too, like the RAM and processor?

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.