AV-Comparatives Consumer Real-World Protection Test July-October 2021

Disclaimer
  1. This test shows how an antivirus behaves with certain threats, in a specific environment and under certain conditions.
    We encourage you to compare these results with others and take informed decisions on what security products to use.
    Before buying an antivirus you should consider factors such as price, ease of use, compatibility, and support. Installing a free trial version allows an antivirus to be tested in everyday use before purchase.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
The second half-year results of the ongoing Consumer Real-World Protection Test are now available!

Real-World Protection Test July-October 2021

Leading antivirus testing lab releases report of latest protection test for 17 popular home-user security programs

As part of its ongoing Consumer Main-Test Series, AV-Comparatives has released the results of its July to October 2021 Real-World Protection Test for consumer security solutions. 17 popular anti-malware programs were evaluated to assess their protection against Internet-borne threats.

The Real-World Protection Test conducted by AV-Comparatives simulated real-world conditions as experienced every day by users. The test accurately determined if each threat used was able to make any changes to the test system. To ensure that security programs do not plague users with false alarms, AV-Comparatives put all the products through a false-positives test. Programs with high levels of false alarms had their award levels reduced.

The products tested by AV-Comparatives were Avast Free Antivirus, AVG Free Antivirus, Avira Antivirus Pro, Bitdefender Internet Security, ESET Internet Security, G Data Total Security, K7 Total Security, Kaspersky Internet Security, Malwarebytes Premium, McAfee Total Protection, Microsoft Defender Antivirus, NortonLifeLock Norton 360, Panda Free Antivirus, Total AV Total Security, Total Defense Essential Antivirus, Trend Micro Internet Security, and VIPRE Advanced Security.

A total of 9 products reached the highest award level, ADVANCED+, in this Real-World Protection Test. These were (in alphabetical order): Avast, AVG, Bitdefender, K7, Kaspersky, McAfee, Microsoft, Total Defense, and VIPRE.

Like all AV-Comparatives’ public reports, this Real-World Protection Test report can be read or downloaded free of charge, and without registration, from the lab’s website: Real-World Protection Test July-October 2021
Press release:
Test results:
PDF Download:

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Yeah Norton my boy taking the first place :cool:

Yes, with more FP than scanned files but still, you can't get infected if you detect every possible file as malware :cool:

5ayr62f62itz.jpg

Anthony Qian

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Apr 17, 2021
Yeah Norton my boy taking the first place :cool:

Yes, with more FP than scanned files but still, you can't get infected if you detect every possible file as malware :cool:

5ayr62f62itz.jpg
I am pretty sure that Norton detected many files that are safe but unknown to Norton as "WS.Reputation.1" in this FP test.

Norton should seriously consider replacing the Symantec engine with Avast/Avira engine in its future version.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
I am pretty sure that Norton detected many files that are safe but unknown to Norton as "WS.Reputation.1" in this FP test.

Norton should seriously consider replacing the Symantec engine with Avast/Avira engine in its future version.
True. I used Norton for 4-5 days not so long ago and at that time also suffered with this "WS.Reputation.1" false positives on three apps that I updated in that period, while false positive with Avast is rare. But Avast's response at fixing false positives after submission is often too late for my liking. The last one took 4 days while Norton fixed within a day and Microsoft Defender within a few hours.

Anthony Qian

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Apr 17, 2021
True. I used Norton for 4-5 days not so long ago and at that time also suffered with this "WS.Reputation.1" false positives on three apps that I updated in that period, while false positive with Avast is rare. But Avast's response at fixing false positives after submission is often too late for my liking. The last one took 4 days while Norton fixed within a day and Microsoft Defender within a few hours.
Yeah, Avast needs more malware analysts to process submissions. BTW, Kaspersky always does a very good job in analyzing customers’ submissions.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Yeah, Avast needs more malware analysts to process submissions. BTW, Kaspersky always does a very good job in analyzing customers’ submissions.
Yeah, Kaspersky is also very fast at fixing false positives but they rarely add any undetected samples that I submit. I often give samples to harlan instead, and he sends them to Kaspersky for me. He even gets a response from the analysts, but I don't for some reason 😕

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Yeah, Kaspersky is also very fast at fixing false positives but they rarely add any undetected samples that I submit. I often give samples to harlan instead, and he sends them to Kaspersky for me. He even gets a response from the analysts, but I don't for some reason 😕
Actual footage from Kaspersky Lab

1637157302649.png

Anthony Qian

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Apr 17, 2021
For undetected samples, in the past, you need to add "False Negative" to the email subject line and you will definitely receive a reply from Kaspersky. However, it no longer appears to work.

Perhaps Kaspersky has classified Harlan's email address as "VIP". :unsure:

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
For undetected samples, in the past, you need to add "False Negative" to the email subject line and you will definitely receive a reply from Kaspersky. However, it no longer appears to work.
I think that K. email address still working to send malware...

But now to send a FP via KOTIP You just have to log in Your that site with Your MyK. service credentials, then upload the file, whe get the malware verdict, submit to reanalyze and give Your email Andres...

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.