Troubleshoot CPU and Mobo decision help

blueblackwow65

Level 23
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Dec 19, 2012
Hi hopefully this is in right section if not sorry anout that. I am looking for help on deciding on a budget build.I am loooking for a cpu under 150$ and mobo under 150$.I am wondering should I go Ryzen or latest intel (Coffee or Kaby)?I do some mild gaming once in awhile and video converting other than that browse and other misc on my computer.Would like the option of a mobo that can OverClock.Any suggestions ? Thks

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
You are asking a bit too much with the overclocking. If you can forget that get an i5-8400 and the motherboard you can afford, with that is left, that has the features you need. Your budget can't do any decent ryzen processor so they are out of the question.

Upvote 0

blueblackwow65

Level 23
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Dec 19, 2012
Thks for reply ,why I put the oc in there for mobo is because of the z170 boards that can oc latest pentiums. I was looking at Ryzen and it seems the 1200's would be a buy ,just over 150$. I'll look into i5 though.

Reactions: Vasudev
Upvote 0

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Thks for reply ,why I put the oc in there for mobo is because of the z170 boards that can oc latest pentiums. I was looking at Ryzen and it seems the 1200's would be a buy ,just over 150$. I'll look into i5 though.
The 1200 compares to a low end i3 and maybe even worse in some cases. Terrible idea.

Upvote 0

AlanOstaszewski

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 27, 2017
video convertings
pick a Ryzen CPU
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 (200€)
MOBO: MSI B350M PRO-VD (70€)

I know the CPU is a bit expensiver but I picked for you a motherboard that is a bit cheaper. With this mainboard you can (/You must! Running this CPU without overclocking is a waste!) overclock the CPU to 3,8GHz minimum(!). Because the boxed cooler is good you doesn't need to buy a new one. Keep in mind that you need DDR4 Ryzen compatible RAM ;)

Upvote 0

zzz00m

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jun 10, 2017
All you really need is a fast i3 and a good GPU to do what you want. I can run Skyrim or Witcher 2 maxed out at HD 1920 without any lag.

You said mild gaming and that's all I do. Got a GTX 950 on sale and it plays all the older games just fine. I don't find it CPU constrained at all. Probably the most limiting thing is the GPU now.

Reactions: blueblackwow65
Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.