Question CPUs without backdoors

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

pcalvert

Level 1
Thread author
Nov 21, 2018
I am interested in CPUs that do not contain any backdoors. By "backdoors", I am referring to things like the Intel Management Engine (IME). Do such CPUs exist? The reason I ask is because I am thinking of building a small router/firewall/UTM device, and I want to minimize the possibility that such an important security device could be remotely tampered with.

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
There are certain CPUs available in the market that do not integrate backdoors like the Intel Management Engine (IME). One such example is the RISC-V architecture which is an open-source and license-free instruction set architecture. Some of the CPU manufacturers that produce RISC-V CPUs include SiFive, Microsemi, and Esperanto. Additionally, there are other CPUs that are designed not to contain backdoors, such as the IBM POWER architecture. It's important to do your research and select a processor that meets your specific security needs.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I am interested in CPUs that do not contain any backdoors. By "backdoors", I am referring to things like the Intel Management Engine (IME). Do such CPUs exist? The reason I ask is because I am thinking of building a small router/firewall/UTM device, and I want to minimize the possibility that such an important security device could be remotely tampered with.
Would a Raspberry Pi work?

vokeb

Level 1
Apr 20, 2023
Get yourself an ampere arm CPU, raspberry cpus are weak for high performance firewalls.

Reactions: Balrog and pcalvert

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.