Cyber Ratings report: Microsoft Edge offers better malware and phishing protection (July 2021)

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Cyber Ratings ran a study in July 2021 in which it tested the defensive capabilities of the web browsers Microsoft Edge, Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome. The study observed malware and phishing protections of the browsers over the course of 20 days. Four tests were run each day, with fresh attacks being added and old ones removed throughout the 20 day period.

Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox use Google Safe Browsing API to protect users against malware and phishing attacks. Microsoft Edge uses Microsoft Defender SmartScreen for protection.

The following browser versions were used for the test on a Windows 10 Pro version 21H1 system:
  • Google Chrome: Version 90.0.4430.212 - 91.0.4472.19
  • Microsoft Edge: Version: 91.0.864.19 - 91.0.864.37
  • Mozilla Firefox: Version 88.0.1 - 88.0.1
Interested users find test methodology and the two comparative rating reports as PDF downloads on the Cyber Ratings website. Everything is available as a free direct download at the time of writing.
browser_security.png
Closing Words
Microsoft Edge has the edge when it comes to malware and phishing protections according to the study. The base configuration of each browser was used and automatic updates were enabled. Protections can be improved significantly by users, for instance by installing content blockers or by using common sense while on the Internet.

F

ForgottenSeer 92963

Incredible, In the past I used System Safety Monitor and GesWall alongside Avast and later switch to EQsecure and DefenseWall with Avira. When you would have told me 15 years ago that I would use a Microsoft only security setup (Edge, Smartscreen, MD with Configure Defender on Max), I would not have believed you and would have taken any bet on it. The times they are changing :)

Last edited by a moderator:

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
In the picture of the ghacks link, it shows the Author's Tracking protection for Edge set to Strict. Is that the default for Edge?

Edge Tracking Prevention "Balanced Mode" it's default on Edge, AFAIK

I believe that doesn't matter in terms of protection by SmartScreen on Edge.

wat0114

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2021
Edge Tracking Prevention "Balanced Mode" it's default on Edge, AFAIK

I believe that doesn't matter in terms of protection by SmartScreen on Edge.
Thanks! I just wondered because the base configuration for each browser was used for the tests, but the picture of the author's browser (Edge) showed Strict.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.