Smart App Control
Network firewall
Real-time security
Not required
Firewall security
About custom security
Safing Portmaster
- 9.9.9.9 Quad DNS for all apps

- Block for direct connections (ip to ip)
- All ads, trackers, malware filters + oisd
Periodic malware scanners
No
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Microsoft Edge for Linux
- Strong Security option
- Strong Trackers protections
- SmartScreen
Ext:
- uBlock Origin
- Emsisoft Browser Security
Secure DNS
Quad DNS
Desktop VPN
No
Password manager
Edge built-in password manager
Maintenance tools
No
File and Photo backup
No
System recovery
No
Risk factors
    • Working from home
    • Browsing to popular websites
    • Opening email attachments
    • Buying from online stores, entering banks card details
    • Logging into my bank account
    • Streaming audio/video content from trusted sites or paid subscriptions
Computer specs
Acer Spin 1, Intel Celeron N3350, eMCC size 32GB, RAM 4GB
What I'm looking for?

Looking for medium feedback.

CyberDevil

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Apr 4, 2021
After my mom gave her netbook to an inadequate stalker who installed pirated Windows on it, I wondered what to do about it. I decided to give Linux a chance and it seems to have succeeded.

The main focus is to protect against phishing, since other threats to Ubuntu (Lubuntu) are very unlikely.

I chose Lubuntu because the netbook is very old and weak and it is probably the lightest Ubuntu distribution. The nice thing was that touchscreen was working right out of the box.

I install Edge as default browser because it is quite familiar looking and SmartScreen is probably a bit better than Google Safe Browsing. The browser also has uBlock installed with pretty much standard filters and an extension from Emsisoft.

PortMaster installed perfectly from the deb package and immediately started filtering all traffic, allowing the browser to work through a secure Quad DNS with extra protection. With a small chance it can protect personal data from leakage, even if some packages in the repository are compromised. Hopefully this is low probability.

Overall, I'm very pleased with this configuration. Remains to find out my mom's opinion. :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.