CydMM's Configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.

CydMM

Thread author
Oct 7, 2011
But while surfing on the Web, while doing transactions online, data are exchanged through Internet and can be stolen. So in this case, even through liveCD, I am not protected....or am I mistaking?

D

Deleted member 178

you are right, your traffic can be intercepted. it is called "packet sniffing" and has different usage:

SMTP, POP, IMAP traffic: Allows to read the actual e-mail.
POP, IMAP, HTTP, Telnet authentication: Reads passwords.
SQL database: Reads banking transactions and credit card numbers.

many packet snifffers are admin network tools revamped into malicious tools. i will not tell you the names :D

win7holic

Apr 20, 2011
this
http://www.hackernotcracker.com/2007-04/using-virtual-private-networking-vpn-to-avoid-packet-sniffinganalysis-and-data-theft.html
and, this
http://www.symantec.com/connect/articles/sniffers-what-they-are-and-how-protect-yourself

D

Deleted member 178

the sniffer must be a part of your network (means in any computers in your network) , or your ISP network, in fact you cant prevent to be sniffed but you can make it harder, by crypting your sensitive mails for example. sniffers are usually audit and testing tools and are used by network professionnals.

win7holic

Apr 20, 2011
Another method of protection involves tools, such as antisniff, that scan networks to determine if any NICs are running in promiscuous mode. These detection tools should run regularly, since they act as an alarm of sorts, triggered by evidence of a sniffer.

CydMM

Thread author
Oct 7, 2011
I am probably going to write something stupid but, has it sense (or is it useful) having set my home network (composed by just a desktop PC connected through a USRobotics DSL/Wireless Nat Router) as a "public network"?

I went to antisniff website but in the download section I saw that compatibility doesn't cover Win7...:s

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
You can try to run compatibility mode when your in Windows 7.

win7holic

Apr 20, 2011
yep you're right, james.

v5tI0.png

D

Deleted member 178

even you install this apps to secure your network, your data are still sniffable by your isp network and your bank network. Dont loose time with it. it is your ISP admin job.

CydMM

Thread author
Oct 7, 2011
umbrapolaris said:
even you install this apps to secure your network, your data are still sniffable by your isp network and your bank network. Dont loose time with it. it is your ISP admin job.

So you think it is not worthwhile?
In case, after such monitoring, and through that monitoring, only my ISP and my bank are able to sniff my traffic I guess i can accept that. What worries me is hackers, password and personal data thieves to sniff my personal data contained in the traffic flow while surfing

D

Deleted member 178

yes, useless. if the bank and isp network are penetrated, the intruder can sniff you, but i think he will have more important things to do :D

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
As long as your Wireless Network is passphrase/password-protected using WPA/2, no one can snoop on your home network.

If you are using Public Wi-Fi, then I recommend using a secure VPN to connect.

Rapport is a lightweight security software solution that protects web communication between enterprises, such as banks, and their customers and employees.
More info about Rapport

It's recommended by banks and supports all major web browsers, except Opera.

Download
http://www.trusteer.com/webform/download-rapport
> Scroll down the page, until you see "The companies that use our services:" and choose your bank.
Why?
The version offered by your bank is fine-tuned for your bank's security requirements.

CydMM

Thread author
Oct 7, 2011
Hi guys,

after some time passed on the Web reading many guides on PC security and hardening, and after considering all the worthy advices I got from you all here in this so cool Forum, I came up to the following “strategy” in order to have an extremely solid security setup for my online activity. I will be glad to receive all your comments, suggestions, critics.

1. Make a fresh re-install of my Win7 Ultimate 64bit (naturally with my regular license).

The reason for this “extreme” measure is that almost two years passed since when I installed the OS and so many programs I installed…unistalled…I made p2p filesharing for some months at the beginning…a lot of work done…and sometimes my PC is now showing slowness, problems with some software, crashes. At this regard I already saved my Firefox whole profile, exported my router configuration, backed-up my personal documents and files, took note of all the programs I will have to reinstall.
At this regard, I downloaded a modded version of Win7 Ultimate 64bit (Windows Seven Ice Extreme v.1) which seems to have gained consensus all over, with satisfaction of all users who used it. But I wonder if the settings upon which this mod is based are not either conflictual or even weak (on security aspect) considering the hardening measures I am going to apply. This mod already got rid of some useless windows services and benefits by settings that increase stability and fastness.

2. OS Hardening :

a) Real Time protection: Microsoft Security Essentials + Comodo Personal Firewall (Proactive Security enabled)
b) On Demand Scanners: MBAM + Superantispyware+Emsisoft Emergency Kit
c) Browsing through Firefox with Add-Ons: Adblock Plus, BetterPrivacy, Ghostery, KeyScrambler, NoScript, RefControl, WOT, Trusteer Rapport
d) Norton DNS
e) Update Checker: Secunia PSI
f) CCleaner
g) FoxIt reader instead of Adobe Reader
h) OpenOffice Suite instead of the Microsoft Office Suite
i) UAC to highest security level
j) Turn off Autoplay
k) Encrypt the hard disk drive with Bit Locker
l) Turn off Files and Printers sharing and disable NetBIOS Protocol
m) SEHOP
n) EMET
o) DEP
p) Set the Network type as Public
q) Disable Remote Assistance and Remote Desktop
r) Require CTRL+ALT+DEL to Login
s) Setting Strong Administrator password to access the router
t) WPA2 Wireless Encryption
u) Enabling MAC Address Filtering (only my iPhone will be enabled)

What do you think about all that?

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
This looks much better than before.

Trusteer Rapport will provide you with weekly reports of blocked IP addresses, blocked screen captures and certificate mismatch.

If you check your License for Rapport, how many websites can you protect?

I use it to protect any site I enter login details to including Fb.com etc.

[attachment=853]

You can add these details to your first post using Full Edit, as it is always displayed at the top on every page of your config.
http://malwaretips.com/Thread-CydMM-s-Configuration?pid=25718#pid25718

Attachments

• TRapport_Browser_Addon.png
    TRapport_Browser_Addon.png
    10 KB · Views: 536

CydMM

Thread author
Oct 7, 2011
Earth, what is your opinion about the fresh reinstall of Win7?

Would it be ok to use the Mod I indicated before or would it be better to use the original one?

D

Deleted member 178

honestly i will do a fresh re-installation of the ORIGINAL windows7, why? because all the tweaking done to w7 by those mods can be done by yourself (sure it is longer) but you will have optimal security (who know what the mods creators add...). btw w7 mods are always bloated with crap or soft you will never used.

CydMM

Thread author
Oct 7, 2011
umbrapolaris said:
honestly i will do a fresh re-installation of the ORIGINAL windows7, why? because all the tweaking done to w7 by those mods can be done by yourself (sure it is longer) but you will have optimal security (who know what the mods creators add...). btw w7 mods are always bloated with crap or soft you will never used.

So I will make a fresh re-install of the ORIGINAL Win7 ....
Maybe I could use Vista Service Optimizer in order to just get rid of the unuseful services and that's it. After that, I will apply the hardening measures I indicated before and I should have a rock-solid system, shouldn't I?

with 4Gb RAM and a Q9450 quadcore I shouldn't suffer by slowness because of just a few unnecessary windows services left on the system...right?

D

Deleted member 178

CydMM said:
So I will make a fresh re-install of the ORIGINAL Win7 ....
Maybe I could use Vista Service Optimizer in order to just get rid of the unuseful services and that's it. After that, I will apply the hardening measures I indicated before and I should have a rock-solid system, shouldn't I?

check this link, it is the one i used, and it is updated for W7 SP1:

http://www.blackviper.com/2010/12/17/black-vipers-windows-7-service-pack-1-service-configurations/

with 4Gb RAM and a Q9450 quadcore I shouldn't suffer by slowness because of just a few unnecessary windows services left on the system...right?

yes, because it is not windows that slow you but all the big apps with many processes and useless services.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
CydMM said:
Earth, what is your opinion about the fresh reinstall of Win7?

Would it be ok to use the Mod I indicated before or would it be better to use the original one?

I missed that. :s

My opinion to Downloading and using a modified version of Windows. It's a no-no. Who knows what hidden extras could be added.

Unless you plan to do it yourself using your genuine copy.
http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/139077-7customizer-a-windows-7-customization-and-deployment-tool/

Note: I myself have not used this tool.

Might be an out-dated version.
Also download from:
http://www.askvg.com/7customizer-vlite-replacer-for-windows-7-to-customize-and-tweak-setup-iso/

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.