Advice Request Cylance Mobile for iOS?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Kubla

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Jan 22, 2017
There is almost no information regarding this app anyone running it on their iPhone or iPad?

Does it do real time scanning like the PC version?

How much battery life does it eat up?

Thanks

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
There is no "Antivirus App" that can actually scan your iOS device in real-time as they don't have enough priviliges just like every other app on the Appstore. Most of those antivirus apps are simply providing things like a VPN, Password manager or check your device for OS updates. Using such apps on an iOS device is unnecessary if you ask me.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
As mentioned above, most security and privacy apps for iOS consist of Premium VPNs, Content Blockers for Safari (Free), Wi-Fi scanners (Free with upsell for VPN subscriptions), Password Managers (Free and Paid) and occasionally Anti-Theft or Photo Backup options.

From Kaspersky Blog: Why there’s no antivirus for iOS
Apple doesn’t allow any proper antivirus apps into the App Store, saying “Apple designed the iOS platform with security at its core” and that the operating system does not need an antivirus utility.

That sounds rather arrogant, but it’s not marketing nonsense: Apple iOS is indeed designed to be very secure. iOS apps are executed in their own sandboxes — secure environments that seclude the apps, keeping them away from other apps’ data, not to mention from tampering with the operating system’s files. Under iOS, a wanna-be-malicious app won’t be able to steal or compromise anything; it won’t be permitted outside its own sandbox, where only its own data is stored and processed. That’s really helpful in terms of security.

In addition to that security measure, Apple restricts installation on iOS devices to only those apps from the official App Store (unless somebody — be it your company admins or a malefactor — has an enterprise developer account that lets them use Mobile Device Management [MDM] to install apps from third-party sources). The company has really tight control over what is allowed into its store, reviewing the code of all apps before approving anything. Connecting the dots, that means that someone would have to develop a malicious app for iOS and then get it through official review before it had a chance of making it onto an iOS device.

Of course, the above is true for nonjailbroken iOS devices only — but the majority of iPhones and iPads aren’t jailbroken, mostly because modern versions of iOS are very secure, and there is no known way to jailbreak them.

Those very same limitations mean antivirus apps can’t actually be created for iOS: To work at all, any antivirus solution has to be able to watch what other apps are doing and intervene if an app’s behavior is suspicious. You can’t do that in a sandbox.

Kubla

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Jan 22, 2017
There is no "Antivirus App" that can actually scan your iOS device in real-time as they don't have enough priviliges just like every other app on the Appstore. Most of those antivirus apps are simply providing things like a VPN, Password manager or check your device for OS updates. Using such apps on an iOS device is unnecessary if you ask me.

I was watching something other day where the iOS was considered the holy grail for hackers because people spending $1000+ on a phone means that is where the money is, i,e bank accounts, credit cards, wallets etc...

I was thinking it might not be a bad idea to have something that watches for malware in rogue apps, bad web sites, and suspicious Wi-Fi in the background, similar to how Cylance works on a PC

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
I was watching something other day where the iOS was considered the holy grail for hackers because people spending $1000+ on a phone means that is where the money is, i,e bank accounts, credit cards, wallets etc...

I was thinking it might not be a bad idea to have something that watches for malware in rogue apps, bad web sites, and suspicious Wi-Fi in the background, similar to how Cylance works on a PC
There is nothing like that unfortunately. Just keep your OS updated and play with the privacy settings. Many apps have access to your photos but don't actually need those permissions, so it's best to deactivate such access. The less apps have access to your data, the lower is the chance your data is being compromised one day. All you can do is using encrypted and filtering DNS (like NextDNS, Quad9 or AdGuard) in your home network to improve privacy and security, or you can use a reputable VPN for public WIFIs. Content blockers like AdGuard can also help to prevent potential malvertising. I think there is nothing much else you can do to prevent malware on your iOS devices, but DNS services like NextDNS at least help against phishing sites.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
The cost of smartphone does not determine it's value.

If the phone has:
  • No passcode
  • Same, weak, exposed passwords
  • No extra account security
Then the problem is the user, not the device.

Every smartphone is a target whether it's the $400 iPhone SE, $1000 iPhone 12 Pro Max, $200 Android phone, or $1200 Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra.

Android users are may be exposed to more dangers with unpatched vulnerabilities, built-in spyware from cheaper phones, easier to install shady apps.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.