Status
Not open for further replies.

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
Three questions about Cylance Smart Antivirus for anybody who's using/used this product:
  1. How light is it compared to a traditional antivirus? (I know each runs differently on different systems but just give me your opinions.)
It's very light because it doesn't protect you from anything. :ROFLMAO:
But on a serious note. I guess it's light because it's really just another cloud AV. This AV has gotten more attention than it deserves due to its connection with the CIA. But just like any other government funded project, it's mediocre/below average and leaves a lot to be desired if I go by the reviews/tests on websites and opinion from people in this thread. Sad.

Reactions: oldschool
D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

Thread author
But on a serious note. I guess it's light because it's really just another cloud AV. This AV has gotten more attention than it deserves due to its connection with the CIA. But just like any other government funded project, it's mediocre/below average and leaves a lot to be desired if I go by the reviews/tests on websites and opinion from people in this thread. Sad.
I hope everything you say is correct so I can get my stolen 30$ back, buy a few beers and celebrate that I won't be the next alien ai target :alien:. *expect drunken posts at the evening* I will be using Avast free which is true miracle since Adam and Eve.

Last edited by a moderator:

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
But on a serious note. I guess it's light because it's really just another cloud AV.

from what I've seen, it's protection is solid and light whether it's online or offline. also agree with others, firewall & other layers are good to run with it.

D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

Thread author
1 question for testers: Does cylance detect those missed samples in the last pack, now?
@Evjl's Rain If you are reffering to @RoboMan test, then Cyalance confirmed it as malware, however they are doing more in-depth analysis. And if you are asking about @askalan Cylance tests in the MH, then he will himself hopefully explain what's going on.
"SHA256: 9C77C899FB794C8964F67FCA2AACE455ACDB4AA6B135229CC58FC0740D1AEDA0
Classified as Malware Trojan
This file has been confirmed to be a FALSE NEGATIVE and has been submitted to the Threat Research Remediation Team"
Sometimes, an analysis of a file can take up to 5 days, because It is sent to a different team not Cylance home support.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
@Evjl's Rain If you are reffering to @RoboMan test, then Cyalance confirmed it as malware, however they are doing more in-depth analysis. And if you are asking about @askalan Cylance tests in the MH, then he will himself hopefully explain what's going on.

Sometimes, an analysis of a file can take up to 5 days, because It is sent to a different team not Cylance home support.
I need a clarification on this because if it takes too long for the vendor to add undetected malwares to their signatures, their users will be at risk in that period of time
last test, cylance detected 7/19 on a static scan. I want to know the new number after 2-3 days to see how they have done so far. I don't want a dynamic test for this pack

F

ForgottenSeer 69673

Thread author
I need a clarification on this because if it takes too long for the vendor to add undetected malwares to their signatures, their users will be at risk in that period of time
last test, cylance detected 7/19 on a static scan. I want to know the new number after 2-3 days to see how they have done so far. I don't want a dynamic test for this pack

They claim they don't use sigs.

Reactions: AtlBo and oldschool
F

ForgottenSeer 69673

Thread author
This is a statement from Cylance regarding their engine

"The Cylance engine is not an antivirus engine. Unlike AV, it doesn’t have a bias toward letting everything run. The technology doesn't assume a file is good until it’s evaluated. Our approach is to measure and decide on each and every file individually, and if it doesn't fit into our model of good, it leans towards bad."

You can read the full statement here: Here's why the scanners on VirusTotal flagged Hello World as harmful

I think it should be noted for those that did not want to read the full article, these are the others that detected Hello World as a bad.

" Salted Hash reached out to the vendors that flagged "Hello World" in some way including, Cylance, Sophos, McAfee, SentinelOne, CrowdStrike, Cyren and their consumer product F-Prot, Endgame, F-Secure, and Bitdefender."

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
Rather the comments have become boring for cylance. We see a competition of comments from supporters and from haters. There will always be people with different opinions and choices. That's why there are hundreds of security products to get everyone what he likes. ;)

MandalorianMike

Aug 24, 2016
I just came across an article this afternoon that Cylance is offering a free trial of Cylance Smart Antivirus during the 2018 American election season. Not sure if anyone posted this or not but below is words from their website post.

"As part of Cylance’s mission to protect everyone under the sun, we are making our award-winning artificial intelligence based Cylance Smart Antivirus available at no cost to all campaigns, candidates, staff and volunteers, as well as the American public this election season. Includes a three device free license that expires on November 30, 2018. Available to all residents of the United States and its territories. No credit card required to redeem offer. Valid email address required. " Election 2018

D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

Thread author
It takes for Cylance from the date reported missed samples from 3-5 working days to analys it, when something is confirmed as false negative (confirmed as malicious), and only then they add detection for it globally. I hope missed malware was reported to Cylance by our official MH testers? @RoboMan & @askalan
There is normally no clear way to tell why a piece of Malware was not caught by Cylance. What we do is analyze it and make sure it is caught in the future by adding that information to our Cloud. Analyzed files are in the process of being added to our lists.

Thread author
Cylance is offering the home version for free until November ("to protect political organization data") for U.S. citizens.

LOL... I know for sure there will be those that cry "Foul, foul ! Conspiracy. Political spying ! Spylance ! Spylance ! Government surveillance puppet !"

Could turn out to be a digital Watergate. LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.