Damned antivirus!

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
That sounds like a broken Windows. I would suggest a clean re-install of the OS.

By the way, i shall agree with the above comments. The idea of Windows Defender+VoodooShield+WFC sounds really attractive. Tweak WD from the registry and you'll be enough protected. Complement with good browsing habits.

Hector1

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Aug 4, 2015
That sounds like a broken Windows. I would suggest a clean re-install of the OS.

By the way, i shall agree with the above comments. The idea of Windows Defender+VoodooShield+WFC sounds really attractive. Tweak WD from the registry and you'll be enough protected. Complement with good browsing habits.
I think you are right, but simple reinstall windows 10 via Windows Security Center don't solve the issue...maybe other type of clean install?

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
I think you are right, but simple reinstall windows 10 via Windows Security Center don't solve the issue...maybe other type of clean install?
Grab a live Windows CD/Iso file, burn into USB and format the whole disk (backup files before). Cleanest install you can do. I think you can download the W10 iso from the official Microsoft servers, and you will then have to activate it with your license.

Fuzzfas

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Jan 8, 2013
I'm in a good situation right now. I can wipe my machine and be back up and running in about an hour should the virtualization fail.

90% of my stuff is stored on Sync.com, even with Sync's ridiculously good security, encryption and zero knowledge architecture. (3-Layer Encryption, SOC-1 Data Centers, Zero Knowledge, TFA) I still pre-encrypted everything that goes into it with an AES256 and Blowfish combo. Good luck breaking all of that. But this allows me to essentially rebuild my system from scratch in about an hour. The other 10% is stored on encrypted USB-Sticks for local access.

I'm building a new Ryzen 7 productivity machine on Friday w/32GB DDR4 3200 and the new m.2 32Gb/s SSD Drive. When I finish that will be running Windows with 2 VM's and my surfing/productivity/email/business will be done in one of the VM's on a secure OS with a nested VPN on the spoofed NIC. The horsepower will be there to keep those VM's up and loaded with each machine boot.

I've made significant advances in my security/privacy over the last few months and I am not finished yet.

Sounds like Fort Knox strategy! ;) (y)

Reactions: Weebarra

Hector1

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Aug 4, 2015
Grab a live Windows CD/Iso file, burn into USB and format the whole disk (backup files before). Cleanest install you can do. I think you can download the W10 iso from the official Microsoft servers, and you will then have to activate it with your license.
All was cleaned via Diskpart, then windows 10 was reinstalled and updated. And all is the same :X3:
However, WF+Vs free+ binisoft WFC + sanboxed browser (with Sandboxie free) run smooth, with macrium backup I feel confortably secure (y)

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Actually if the machine hasn't changed much, Win10 USB install you just put 'I don't have an activation code, activate later' then once it installs you click activate under Control Panel>System and it will auto-acquire the activation. The good thing about Win10 is the keys are stored by Microsoft and are tied to a couple pieces of hardware on your box that are less likely to change.

Reactions: RoboMan

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Actually if the machine hasn't changed much, Win10 USB install you just put 'I don't have an activation code, activate later' then once it installs you click activate under Control Panel>System and it will auto-acquire the activation. The good thing about Win10 is the keys are stored by Microsoft and are tied to a couple pieces of hardware on your box that are less likely to change.
Nice info (y)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.