Damned antivirus!

Hector1

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Aug 4, 2015
In the last mounth I search for a free AV to complement VS free and WFC with my W10 laptop (yes, form me the AV is the complementary piece of my setup and VS and WFC are the first and second line of my wall ;) ).
I try Avast for first choice an It never complete a full scan. I try many times, reinstall and no (n)
Then i try Bitdefender free and it abort the installation setup. I try many and many times and no (n)
Then I try AVG free (I hate the ADS for buy AVG tune) and all is good but...it broke my chrome and broke Sandboxie (chrome update don't work and Sandoxie don't start (n)(n)(n)
Last, i do a reimage with my baseline backup and stay with Windows Defender, not the best but it don't broke my PC :sneaky:

Last edited:

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
You have a pretty good security setup on Windows 10 (Defender + VS + WFC + Sandboxie), with three 3-party programs (VS + WFC + Sandboxie). You can easily spoil this, by installing more.

Edit
If you want to be more secure with the above security layers (without compatibility issues), use more applications from Windows Store (AppContainer) and adopt SUA.
Help Me Decide - Windows Defender vs Comodo Antivirus

Last edited:

shukla44

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 14, 2016
IMO, For Win10, the best FREE antivirus option is Windows Defender. Strengthen your default protection, a good ad-blocker & use brain.exe.

If you still need antivirus for your peace of mind, There are many to choose from, but you already tried some. Try Kaspersky free also.

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
@Hector1 when you where trying to install the av's or a first time scan what was the setting of VS?
If you have it on Autopilot or Always On maybe it interfeard with the installations of the av's.
I am asking because this has happened to me when i was using VS.

shukla44

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 14, 2016
@Hector1 when you where trying to install the av's or a first time scan what was the setting of VS?
If you have it on Autopilot or Always On maybe it interfeard with the installations of the av's.
I am asking because this has happened to me when i was using VS.
Rightly mentioned. I too use VS only during browsing. I have all the other web apps disabled. During installs, i close the browser & put VS in training mode. IMO, the best option to avoid problems. Tried install mode but didn't work quite effectively as training mode.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

In the last mounth I search for a free AV to complement VS free and WFC with my W10 laptop (yes, form me the AV is the complementary piece of my setup and VS and WFC are the first and second line of my wall ;) ).
I try Avast for first choice an It never complete a full scan. I try many times, reinstall and no (n)
Then i try Bitdefender free and it abort the installation setup. I try many and many times and no (n)
Then I try AVG free (I hate the ADS for buy AVG tune) and all is good but...it broke my chrome and broke Sandboxie (chrome update don't work and Sandoxie don't start (n)(n)(n)
Last, i do a reimage with my baseline backup and stay with Windows Defender, not the best but it don't broke my PC :sneaky:

The realization will arrive that most AV's really do just suck in some way or another. Unfortunately, I've yet run into a problem free, hassle free one. Well, except F-Prot, but I doubt that's very protective. But perhaps with VS it is fine! WD sucks and slows your PC and I have steep privacy concerns with it, but in general seems to cause less hassles.

Keep in mind, VS MAY be your actual problem. I was forced to remove VS because of incessant conflicts, updating issues and random strangeness across the board. Those long shutdowns annoyed me as well. So try your box without VS for a bit perhaps?

Barring that.. Rollback RX w/locked down windows, and just reload the clean snapshot and give up on the security products?

Fuzzfas

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Jan 8, 2013
I tried to live with Avast for a while, but 1) the GUI was slow as molasses, 2) it was slowing down my FX8350-16GB DDR3 RAM, 3) i saw some weird bugs with the game mode. Bottom line, i ended up with Microsoft Security Essentials (with cloud off). Haven't seen a live malware for ages, with the exception of a friend with a USB flash drive, where Comodo HIPS flagged it.

Today, i don't even bother anymore. I want a simple HIPS (Voodooshield goes bananas when i block it on the firewall, otherwise it would be good), but right now i just keep MSE + AppCheck and it feels it's already overkill...

Fuzzfas

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Jan 8, 2013
I won't do that, if bcedit.exe is compromised, Rx may fail to load or cause the Windows boot loader to be damaged.

I agree, not to mention all the bad things Rollback brings with it and can bring with it. However, for a period i followed a similar method: Images, in a folder protected by Secure Folders (folder set to "read only"). The drawback is that it's a bit annoying remembering to unlock the folder every time you want to write to it again, but otherwise it's a perfectly viable solution, since i doubt someone will bother to target Secure Folders. Worst case scenario, a malware destroys the MBR and you will have to use a boot CD or a Linux CD to access the image.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

I agree, not to mention all the bad things Rollback brings with it and can bring with it. However, for a period i followed a similar method: Images, in a folder protected by Secure Folders (folder set to "read only"). The drawback is that it's a bit annoying remembering to unlock the folder every time you want to write to it again, but otherwise it's a perfectly viable solution, since i doubt someone will bother to target Secure Folders. Worst case scenario, a malware destroys the MBR and you will have to use a boot CD or a Linux CD to access the image.

I'm in a good situation right now. I can wipe my machine and be back up and running in about an hour should the virtualization fail.

90% of my stuff is stored on Sync.com, even with Sync's ridiculously good security, encryption and zero knowledge architecture. (3-Layer Encryption, SOC-1 Data Centers, Zero Knowledge, TFA) I still pre-encrypted everything that goes into it with an AES256 and Blowfish combo. Good luck breaking all of that. But this allows me to essentially rebuild my system from scratch in about an hour. The other 10% is stored on encrypted USB-Sticks for local access.

I'm building a new Ryzen 7 productivity machine on Friday w/32GB DDR4 3200 and the new m.2 32Gb/s SSD Drive. When I finish that will be running Windows with 2 VM's and my surfing/productivity/email/business will be done in one of the VM's on a secure OS with a nested VPN on the spoofed NIC. The horsepower will be there to keep those VM's up and loaded with each machine boot.

I've made significant advances in my security/privacy over the last few months and I am not finished yet.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.