Solved DCOM error

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnosis

Level 5
Thread author
Apr 26, 2011
My "Event Viewer" lists up to 45 events like this an hour:

DCOM got error "The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled, or because it has no enabled devices associated with it. Attempting to start the service upnphost with arguments in order to run this server: (then it shows a bunch of numbers and letters with four dashes in between, all within brackets).

Anyone know what this is? My PC is working fine, but I check the Event Viewer once in a while and notice all those DCOM errors.

Other line item errors are stating that "netman" failed to start (DCOM error). I also see that"ScRegSetValueExW" failed for start with the following error: access is denied.

I have a lot of services that I do not need which I have disabled via MSCONFIG. Could that be the reason for these events?

Gnosis

Level 5
Thread author
Apr 26, 2011
It is hard to say. This has been going on for almost a year. Nothing seems out of the ordinary except the errors in the Event Viewer. The only thing I have had running in real-time for close to a year is Avast Free Edition.

Upvote 0

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
I have a lot of services that I do not need which I have disabled via MSCONFIG. Could that be the reason for these events?

Yes that could be the cause of the errors, try setting all of the services at Windows default and see if the errors goes away.

Thanks.:D

Upvote 0

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
ZOU1 said:

Some Windows Services are independent, i.e they depend on each other to start. Disabling them may cause the issue.

Upvote 0

Gnosis

Level 5
Thread author
Apr 26, 2011
That is probably the case. It is merely pure curiosity at this juncture. My system works as well as it ever has and I am malware free according to Kaspersky Rescue, HitMan Pro, MBAM, XueTr, GMER and TDSS Killer. Thank you for your ideas.

Upvote 0

Prorootect

Level 69
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
Hi ZOU1, It's nothing.

You have disabled (like me) Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) Device Host service, it's good.

Look here: on smallvoid.com: http://smallvoid.com/article/winnt-services-upnphost.html

Quote:
'Note: if this service is disabled and using Windows Media Player 11, then it will give this error:
Event ID - 10005
Description - DCOM got error "The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it. " attempting to start the service upnphost with arguments "" in order to run the server: {204810B9-73B2-11D4-BF42-00B0D0118B56}

So you have WMP 11 .. bad, bad ..

I have original Windows Media Player .. wmplayer.exe v10.0.0 ..;)

So delete this version 11, and stay happy!:D

Upvote 0

Prorootect

Level 69
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
Have you read Quote from the precedent post, please?;)

So go on C:\ - Program Files - Windows Media Player - then right click on wmplayer.exe - Properties - Version.

Upvote 0

Gnosis

Level 5
Thread author
Apr 26, 2011
Sorry. I did not know you had posted. I am slow to check for replies sometimes.

I checked via the pathway you gave. I see no version description, only that it was created in 2008.

Upvote 0

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/298095

This issue occurs because the Microsoft Search (MSSearch) service starts before the Web Storage System starts, and the Microsoft Search service tries to automatically start the Web Storage System by using distributed COM (DCOM). The Web Storage System is secured to prevent programs from starting the Web Storage System with DCOM; therefore, an error is recorded when the Microsoft Search service tries to do so.

The Web Storage System does not allow programs to automatically start the Web Storage System, to prevent it from being started without the server operator's knowledge when the server operator has stopped it for maintenance or other reasons.

IMPORTANT: Do not change your DCOM settings to allow programs to automatically start the Web Storage System.

In Yahoo Answers

Link

Upvote 0

pcjunklist

Level 1
Dec 28, 2011
ZOU1 said:
It is hard to say. This has been going on for almost a year. Nothing seems out of the ordinary except the errors in the Event Viewer. The only thing I have had running in real-time for close to a year is Avast Free Edition.

That seems like an a-ha moment, you state you have had this issue for a year and you have been using avast for a year. There some ScRegSetValueExW issues with avast, I would try an uninstall of avast and a reinstall or try another AV. Also take a look at the <avast>\data\log\selfdef.log to see if there are any denied files in the log.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.