Battle Deep Freeze,Sandboxie and Shadow Defender?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moose

Level 22
Thread author
Jun 14, 2011

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
I used Deep Freeze before and uninstalled it after 2 weeks

I'm still using Sandboxie for quickie malware test and for running limited trial softwares. I've seen some that generates error here so what I do is either run it live or in shadow mode

What I like about shadow defender is that you can selectively assign folders that are not in shadow mode, this is where I save my analysis logs. Right now I am no longer using SD since I switched to Qihoo 360 IS

Moose

Level 22
Thread author
Jun 14, 2011
Koroke San!

"Also be aware the longer you are in Shadow Mode and the more system Changes occur the more space the shadow Volume will consume, so would be advisable to restart every once in a while."

Now the above is without question worth knowing! And I Thank you!;)
I will be checking into the above.

Not sure what mean about leave Trojan Hunter alone. But Trojan Hunter will stop cryptolocker. And Trojan Hunter specialize in various-es Trojans/Mal-ware! Just stopping cryptolocker is a big plus to me.

Nothing, perfect for example below:

Also, I would like to run Dr.Web Cure It from time to time. But Emsisoft Anti-Malware has big time problems with Dr. Web!
Like a Blue Screen Death ect...Ramdom Reboots!

Again thank you for sharing the problem with Shadow Defender!

Kind regards,;)

Koroke San

Level 29
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
then try other on-demand scanners, well u don't need actually since u using shadow defender & sandboxie. everyone say good about there product, hitman pro alert also says it can block crytolocker so webroot & others r, ur trojan hunter won't detect unknown 0 day cryptolocker plus it's don't have any BB. so it's useless. ur emsisoft & MBAM is nuff for trojans & malwares. Even a virtual PC can stop crytolocker so u don't need it since ur pc is covered by SB/SD. Again i'm telling u this type of stereotype security products isn't good if u do overdose , if a hackers want to hack/if a malware want to infect then none of ur security software can safe u unless u r a aware person. It's good to have a clean system backup with a AV. if ur system get compromised, simply restored ur backup & u done. no fear of crypto locker or anything ;)

Reactions: Kent
I

illumination

As already mentioned, the best thing you can do is have everything backed up, a fail safe. SD and SB together is quite a strong combination, you would be hard pressed to actually find that very small amount of malware/rootkit that can actually bypass any of the virtualization. I have run this combo myself before, and played with live malware that way, nothing ever got through.

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
2hhkgo5.jpg

Moose

Level 22
Thread author
Jun 14, 2011
Check into Koroke San! said,:eek:
"Also be aware the longer you are in Shadow Mode and the more system Changes occur the more space the shadow Volume will consume, so would be advisable to restart every once in a while."

Koroke San! Is correct!;)
Author Osaban, with Wilder Security,
If you open SD's GUI and click 'Administration' 'Notify me with low free space on the protected volume' should be ticked. In practice nowadays most computers have huge hard drives, and it would take probably months of usage before reaching this critical state. I also think that it is safer not to stay too long in shadow mode (a day at the most), so that if malware finds its way in, it would be neutralized by rebooting. I usually reboot after an average of 2-3 hours...

Koroke San! Is correct!;)
Again i'm telling u this type of stereotype security products isn't good if u do overdose.

So, what we need to do is to focus on the best backup plan and have a great backup software.:)

Koroke San, thank you for giving me a new way of looking my security software!
Less security software with a better back plan.

Kind regards,;)

Moose

Koroke San

Level 29
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
Yup backup win most even it can pwn ransomware or anything, be sure u encrypt ur backup in a clean external hard disk & never plugged ur external hard disk when u r online ( good for u if u save ur private data on ur external HDD). Have a nice day Moose :)

Koroke San

Level 29
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
Completely wrong.

ShadowDefender prevents many problems.
Did u ever try to understand what my comment mean before commenting? I use shadow defender in past & know it prevents malware through creating a virtual layer. My mean was not that it can't prevent malware or give a better protection wut I said that it creates lot of problems like I can commit some application configuration settings/system settings since i'm that user who configures a lot, there is no way to commit that changes. I need to disable SD before window update otherwise I can face bootloop so that means I need to manually download window update but i'm that type of user who set his window update automatically, so it's kinda annoy me. I need t oset my AV & other security software's in exclusion otherwise all updates will get vanished but sometimes it not works well & the best way is disable shadow defender, restart & up to date ur AV & then enter in shadow mode. Plus I set my almost application auto-update itself & most of them update silently in background so if i'm using shadow mode It'll create a problem for me, need to restart again & same steps & other stuff like that . So I don't like this thing & I said for basic & advance user it will create problem means if I tell a basic user( it means a normal user, don't think i'm talking about MT basic users) who don't have knowledge so much about AV/security suites/PC they will face problem in beginning specially they will suffer in my case . and wut is wrong with if I want to change my config to learn new stuff about different security products?? quote only those lines with bold letters which u feel is against ur rule. Plus if SD good for u then no one stopping u, I stated my opinion & u can't say me wrong or neither force me to decide wut is good & wrong. period.

jimipre

Level 1
Verified
May 30, 2014
I use Sandboxie when I'm surfing the web as my primary choice. It is easy to use, and easy to get downloads out of the sandbox after you are through testing them. Also, it is FREE. It has twice saved me from FBI ransomware. Don't waste your time with Toolwiz Timefreeze or Geswall.

Now I'm going to throw something new at you, when I am considering software from dubious sources, I use Sandboxie as well as Acronis Try and Decide which is part of their True Image software. Acronis Try and Decide, works very much like Shadow Defender.

For the rest of my anti-malware: Kaspersky Internet security 2015, Malwarebytes Pro, Hitman Pro, and Super- anti-spyware Pro. All of them are paid versions except Kaspersky Internet security 2015 which is on a 91 day trial. The free software i use is
VirusTotal Uploader, and AdwCleaner.

Also on my Chrome and Opera browsers I use HTTP Switchboard, which gives you total control of what is blocked and what gets through. It takes the place of about 4 to 6 other extensions. It blocks cookies, CSS, images, plug-ins, scripts, and XHR.

I have so Much Confidence in Sandboxie that on of my slower computers, where I can't Kaspersky, I use AVG Internet security. I have had no problems with running Sandboxi and AVG together.

In fact before I found this website, I was so disgusted with the paid Internet security suites, that I use Sandboxi with free avast, and free zone alarm firewall. With this combination I never had any problems either.

In fact I have so much confidence in Sandboxi that I might just use it with Windows defender and Windows firewall should this string of free antivirus trials ends.

By the way if you're using a backup cloud service, there are only two that use encryption. They are Spideroak and Tesorit. If you are using Google Drive, unless you encrypt things yourself everything that you store on Google Drive is open for any Google employee to see. I use Spideroak as my primary backup cloud service. In addition to the encryption, It checks for things to backup every five minutes, and you can synchronize with unlimited numbers of computers. Then I use Acronis True Image for weekly incremental image backup.

I think that if you use: 1) Sandboxie, 2) HTTP Switchboard, 3) an encrypted backup cloud service, and 4) you do weekly image backups to an external hard drive then you are as safe as you are going to get. Also, I truly believe that if you do the four things that I mentioned above, the type of antivirus or security suite becomes almost irrelevant.

Last edited:
Reactions: Behold Eck

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
Before entering Shadow Mode, I turn off all programs that requires updates so I won't be losing bandwidth.

For quick and dirty stuffs, I use Sandboxie, in case the software I'm testing generates some errors, I'll switch to SD. If i need to test if my malware removal solution is effective I infect my PC "Live".

Agree with Fantasy, less problem when playing malware or testing apps in SD.

Reactions: Behold Eck
I

illumination

I used to run both SD & sandboxie at the same time, when i first booted my system, i would manually run all updates, the turn on SD and open my browser in sandboxie.. Chances of anything making it through both were quite slim ;) Although im sure most would call this overkill "including myself", but it was light and effective, and i was not running an AV when doing so. I did how ever have a on demand for checking files.

jimipre

Level 1
Verified
May 30, 2014
I am very interested in knowing if anyone has tried:

Returnil System Safe Free
InmunOS
Browser in the Box (BIB)

Browser in the Box, was developed for the German government by Sirrix AG. It is free for personal use. I just found it yesterday, and I am very intrigued by it.
  • Can be used with Windows XP and Windows 7
  • Comes with: VirtualBox 4.0.16, hardened Linux Debian 6 and SELinux and Firefox

It is one click install, but it is a huge download (473,000kb). it is also, one click to get up and running. Inside windows you click on the icon and Virtual box opens Linux and FireFox runs inside of Linux which is inside of Virtual Box.

Since there are few Linux viruses, and you are virtualized it seems like the most secure way to surf the web. I plan on installing it this week and giving it a try. My fear is that it will slow browsing dramatically, but I don't really know for sure. Given that it was created for the German government, it is probably well designed.

The link below is in English, and the website has User Manuals, and other free software. Another one by Sirrix AG, that looks interesting is called Trusted Desktop. Most of the pages load in English, however I did have to use Google translate on the download page to make sure that I was clicking on the correct link. I don't know how many other languages the website is in, but I suggest using Google Chrome, and having Google translate enabled if you speak something other than English or German.The manual from the English website downloaded into an English PDF, and it indicated indicated that there was a way to get Avira antivirus installed into BIB. Other than that, it appears to be one click installation.

http://www.sirrix.com/content/pages/BitBox_en.htm

InmunOS comes from a Spanish website, and the English website is a little bit choppy in its wording. It is also free for virtual use, and they claim it will always be free. However, it looks less integrated than Browser in the Box. The link is below, but now the website appears to be down, but it was up and running yesterday.

http://www.pentest.es/inmunos.php

I plan on trying Browser in the Box soon and I will post what I find here. Again, please let me know if you have tried either of these virtual browsers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.