DeepWeb

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
screen.png

My setup is aiming to be as lightweight and as conflict free as possible.

My priorities:
  • Hardware health > Software health. This setup has low CPU, low RAM, low disk and low bandwidth usage. Fast boot speed. Security software should not run at the cost of hardware. There's no need to compromise.

• Something that will work with all types of software (translate: great for gaming even with mods). Software that is very old, software that is brand new, mods, apps, tools, and tweaks, signed or unsigned. Good security software should be able to tell what is good and what isn't.
How I achieve it:

1. Only using my standard user account and being smart and careful about what I download and where it's from.

2. Group policy settings and software/OS/driver updates are my #1 way to harden Windows.

3. Anti-Malware with a great behavior blocker and Exploit mitigations block unwanted/malicious software.

4. Hardware firewall and HOSTs file block unwanted connections system wide, and browser extensions and tweaks block all unwanted connections in their browsers.

Last edited:

FrFc1908

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 28, 2016
nice config , nothing to ad really , although I would like to suggest that you moght want to switch to a more safer / realiable backup program like macrium reflect free or aomei backupper standard. both are free and reliable backup solutions. but that is entirely up to you if you want to make that change, thanks for sharing your config with us! ;)

BugCode

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jan 9, 2017
Good, good, good!

Yes, if you got DA on your setup, very nice. Solid host-file pick ;) . Tweaking is hard job! That's why i do some tweaks that i can just click and done, of course they every M$ UPDATE WORK, BUT I GOT BACKUP OF COURSE AND THEY ARE PRETTY FAST DONE.

Damn! Sorry caps-lock, lazy bastard like me doesn't bother correct those, so be it!

If i may some suggestion, it's Sbie. Maybe WFC, Tinywall, or even CFW.

Okay your good, thank you very much sharing your config dude!

E: DAMN! @public enemy lazy ass dude! You want everything is served front of you? :p
I have tweaking and tested those so long time that they work correctly like it should be....so you think i give you a "so high priced homework" like that! I already give you POT "tweaks" today, so here you are...will see :)

Last edited:

DeepWeb

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
nice config , nothing to ad really , although I would like to suggest that you moght want to switch to a more safer / realiable backup program like macrium reflect free or aomei backupper standard. both are free and reliable backup solutions. but that is entirely up to you if you want to make that change, thanks for sharing your config with us! ;)
Question. If you use Macrium Reflect to backup, do you use Macrium to restore your files or can you use the Windows utility to do so?

F

ForgottenSeer 19494

I've talked with 0patch's developer about some issues and about the need of 0patch on a fully updated Windows 10 home machine. 0patch is a product targeted towards either unsupported OSes or a corporate environment where full patches are delayed by sysadmins. If you are using a fully updated Windows 10 you might not need it and It can cause some issues with the way it injects inself.

Dave Russo

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Interesting,where did you ever find the programs 0patch and RunPEDetector? Never heard of either but googled and look pretty good. What was your thought process in choosing them? Thanks nice set up

DeepWeb

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
Interesting,where did you ever find the programs 0patch and RunPEDetector? Never heard of either but googled and look pretty good. What was your thought process in choosing them? Thanks nice set up
The EternalBlue debacle really made me wake up to the idea of exploits, what they are and how real of an issue they might be. So I followed infosec people on Twitter and they kept referring to 0patch so I downloaded it.
RunPEDetector and most of that stuff I found here on MT in the "Other security for Windows" section.

I said it in my intro. "Other security for Windows" on MT and "Other anti-malware" on Wilders are the most interesting sections IMO. :)

DeepWeb

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
How do you like f-secure? I'm waiting for an invite still so I can pair it with VS pro.
Well if you want F-Secure Ultralight 64 bit, you can get it through here
F-Secure Ultralight Anti-Virus Beta

I like it. Definitely better detection than Windows Defender. Just a headsup, it does not look like the regular F-Secure and it has a strange way of installing itself. Very little visual feedback during installation, and no entry in Start Menu. Not a lot of choices, no whitelist you can navigate to but you can whitelist but I don't have any conflicts (nvm might have conflicts with Origin). :)

Edit: So it does actually have a whitelist called "Marked as safe". I just have to get used to the different UI.

Last edited:

DeepWeb

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
Converted to Avast Free Antivirus after seeing that it has some excellent 0 day detection and even fares better than some paid mainstream antiviruses.

Edit: Nevermind. Uninstalling this crap. Call me when there is a 3rd party antivirus that doesn't employ ugly hooks that break everything. For now I just use WD and other bells and whistles to enhance it.

Last edited:

DeepWeb

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
Installed Voodooshield and Crystal Security. Extremely happy with my setup. Very light-weight. In addition to that, I made sure to disable Windows Defender by Group Policy, Windows Firewall and that annoying Windows Defender Security Center.

Yes I use a lot of programs, but they don't conflict with each other as long as you whitelist all of them in Comodo Firewall. :p There is some overlap between Voodooshield and Comodo Auto-containment, but other than that they all complete one another. My goal was layered & light-weight security solution and I think I achieved that surprisingly not by having one internet security solution, but by having many. Almost no CPU usage at all. RAM?
Voodooshield 20 MB
Crystal Security 20 MB
CFW 10 MB
GhostPress 6 MB
MBAE 6 MB
AppCheck 2 MB
0patch 2 MB

64 MB RAM consumed. Yes I included the services as well. :)
The other goal I was trying to achieve using this is that if something compromised one of the modules, it wouldn't take down the entire security. E.g. if Voodooshield goes down, I still have the firewall, antivirus, anti-exploits, anti-keylogger and anti-ransomware running.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.