Macrium Reflect

DeepWeb

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
In case you're wondering if I'm using outdated WD, I'm not! I'm indeed running v1809's WD version
View attachment 201612
You are lucky! Windows Defender just corrupts the signature database on my computer and I have to disable it.... I'm still waiting for Microsoft to release a utility to reset Windows Defender.

Reactions: harlan4096

DeepWeb

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
Having issues uninstalling Emsisoft Anti-Malware. It corrupts the entire boot process. Either that or installing Kaspersky. One of them is causing a major major headache.

E

Eddie Morra

[Redacted, must have misunderstood one of the posts, no way it meant what I thought it did lol]

DeepWeb

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
[Redacted, must have misunderstood one of the posts, no way it meant what I thought it did lol]
I can now confirm it's Kaspersky Total Security. I'm not using both simultaneously. I uninstalled one, reboot tgen installed the other. But Kaspersky boots to Inaccessible Boot Device. It is specifically Kaspersky. I've already ruled out all other software. Something about it is not working for my setup. Reading through forums to see what might be the cause.

I think my Group Policy is too strict with some of the drivers Kaspersky is loading during boot time. I am disabling the strict policy to only use Good Drivers at boot. For now Early Launch Anti-Malware is set to "Not configured". Before it was set to only "good drivers".

But this is a very confusing bug! Kaspersky Security Cloud works flawlessly. Kaspersky Anti-Virus has no issues either. But Kaspersky Total Security breaks? Hmm... I couldn't find any documentation on the Internet so if I find a fix for this I will post it here.

Last edited:

DeepWeb

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
Update: OK I FOUND THE ISSUE!!!! It was indeed my Group Policy. No reinstall of Windows necessary.
When you install Kaspersky Total Security make sure you leave
Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System > Early Launch Anti-Malware > Boot-Start Driver Initialization Policy > Not configured!!!

Windows does not recognize some of the drivers Kaspersky is using and it will block them from running at boot up and cancel the entire boot process. Also after installing Kaspersky, I highly highly recommend going to Powershell/Command Prompt as admin and run the command immediately after installing the AV:
"dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth"

That way even if installing Kaspersky or any other antivirus breaks your bootup process, Windows will repair it before you boot into a blue screen.

Last edited:

DeepWeb

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
+Enabled hardware virtualization

@Vasudev I ultimately enabled virtualization in BIOS again. But I disabled HVCI/Memory Integrity because it used too much CPU like you said and it breaks Kaspersky and every other AV and many kernel drivers like the Vmware Microcode Update Driver.

I noticed some sweet changes in the latest version of Windows 10 1809. You no longer have to enable Hyper-V Hypervisor for virtualization based security. If you enable virtualization in BIOS, Windows will automatically use some hidden hypervisor I guess. The result is
virtualization.PNG

+Base Virtualization
+Secure Boot (whatever that means...)
+Credential Guard

-Kaspersky virtualized browsing

Apparently if I turn on one I cannot use the other. But the benefits of Microsoft's virtualization outweigh this one small feature in Kaspersky. And as long as Memory Integrity is off there's no performance impact and no conflict with programs and drivers. I am still trying to figure out what Firmware Protection is. I have tried every combination yesterday and nothing could enable it. If I ever get bored I will do a clean install and see if it enabled out of the box. I suspect it's something only newer hardware can utilize which raises the question, why display it for people with incompatible hardware and software. :unsure: But they were smart enough to grey it out so that nobody breaks their computer.

Attachments

• coreisolation.PNG
    coreisolation.PNG
    24.1 KB · Views: 286

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
I never bothered with virtualization tech in BIOS, I think you are confused HVCI w/ something else.
Disable Intel SGX that's the culprit for latest Spectre revisions. Do you have screenshot of BIOS screen showing HVCI?

Reactions: DeepWeb

DeepWeb

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
No I don't have it confused. I think there's a misunderstanding. There is most definitely a CPU overhead when HVCI is enabled in Windows and besides all AVs break when it is running. It kicks all of the kernel drivers out and that's problematic because it disabled self-protection for Kaspersky and other AVs. BIOS does not show HVCI. Only "Enable virtualization" but I had it disabled until now due to not having full granular control over which virtualization-based security features I can enable. Actually Group Policy is still broken and not properly enforcing the rules for virtualization based security which is frustrating. When will Microsoft learn.

Reactions: harlan4096

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
No I don't have it confused. I think there's a misunderstanding. There is most definitely a CPU overhead when HVCI is enabled in Windows and besides all AVs break when it is running. It kicks all of the kernel drivers out and that's problematic because it disabled self-protection for Kaspersky and other AVs. BIOS does not show HVCI. Only "Enable virtualization" but I had it disabled until now due to not having full granular control over which virtualization-based security features I can enable. Actually Group Policy is still broken and not properly enforcing the rules for virtualization based security which is frustrating. When will Microsoft learn.
Is it related to Hyper V to some extent?
Ret winaero to delete group policy and setup it once again.

DeepWeb

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
dataloss.PNG

Oh! You can use Kaspersky's Parental Control or Kaspersky Security Cloud's Data Leak tools to create a quasi Data Loss Prevention system. If you enable it, Kaspersky will monitor form fields and messages for the keywords that you provide.

Update: It works!

Attachments

• dang.PNG
    dang.PNG
    9.3 KB · Views: 273
Last edited:

DeepWeb

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
You guys already know me. DeepWeb loves Group policy. I think the default configuration in Windows 10 could be dramatically better and improve security without anyone even noticing a difference on their computers. Many debug tools for example are exploited to extract passwords. 99% of Windows users will never even use those debug tools and you can easily turn them off. Anyway stopping my rant.

This nice security guidance by the GCHQ is easy enough to understand:
EUD Security Guidance: Windows 10 - 1803 - NCSC Site

Not every item is relevant but it's a good start. As a general rule, skip what you don't understand. That easy. (y)

Another one: How to prevent Mimikatz (a tool to extract your Windows passwords)
Preventing Mimikatz Attacks – Blue Team – Medium

Last edited:

DeepWeb

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
I'm growing increasingly tired of AOMEI Backupper. It keeps failing, the scheduled backups are no longer working and like sumtingwong I'm struggling with creating a bootable media. What has happened to this product? I'm going to reinstall. If reinstalling doesn't work I'll give Macrium Reflect a try tonight and see if it's more reliable.

-AOMEI Backupper

+Macrium Reflect

Last edited:

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
You guys already know me. DeepWeb loves Group policy. I think the default configuration in Windows 10 could be dramatically better and improve security without anyone even noticing a difference on their computers. Many debug tools for example are exploited to extract passwords. 99% of Windows users will never even use those debug tools and you can easily turn them off. Anyway stopping my rant.

This nice security guidance by the GCHQ is easy enough to understand:
EUD Security Guidance: Windows 10 - 1803 - NCSC Site

Not every item is relevant but it's a good start. As a general rule, skip what you don't understand. That easy. (y)

Another one: How to prevent Mimikatz (a tool to extract your Windows passwords)
Preventing Mimikatz Attacks – Blue Team – Medium
Some BIOS options needs changing. For example BIOS rollback option which must be enabled for successfully BIOS recovery if bad BIOS bricks the mobo.
I personally think their guidelines are too strict so that people will feel secure and at the same the PCs the employees use are the ones with highest hidden malware since they think they're safe and install every known software in the world. I reckon we might see Trojan downloader or some ransomwares in their PCs.
Then again, thanks for linking that document.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.