Default Android Protection is the Worst

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
At least on Samsung Galaxy's we have Knox and security by McAfee. Although I know most don't rate McAfee it at least has better protection.
Only uneducated PC users rate "McAfee for Windows" down beneath the grave.
If anyone is interested, more information about: Samsung Knox
Here as well: McAfee+Samsung (Posted May 2017)

@Lockdown Will these article push Google to up their game, or not?

Reactions: roger_m

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Oh well, most android phones are a few OS versions behind and with not even security updates coming. In my personal opinion you shouldn't do anything you can't accept losing on your phone/tablet/etc.

Reactions: Jack

Thread author
Oh well, most android phones are a few OS versions behind and with not even security updates coming. In my personal opinion you shouldn't do anything you can't accept losing on your phone/tablet/etc.

Android is the most vulnerable platform. One day someone is gonna attack Android and throw the world into a state of shock and disbelief.

Wha... ? Nooooooooooo !!

Reactions: AriDfoix
D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

Thread author
One day someone is gonna attack Android and throw the world into a state of shock and disbelief.
but when..? I don't understand anyone who pays more than 250E/$ for a smartphone. My worst purchase of all time was Alcatel Idol 4, since release in 2016 it hasn't got any software update until this date and still on the 6.0.1 Sitting in shelve unused but still paying for that adware filled ##### monthly till dec, also can't return it. Apart from that, not enough global users > not interest in Devs to start develop custom roms > basically dead and unsupported phone. Hate to death companies who sells smartphones and don't give a damn afterwards what happens with their users. :mad:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Kuttz

Thread author
Hate to death companies who sells smartphones and don't give a damn afterwards what happens with their users. :mad:

That doesn't surprise me about your Android Alcatel Idol 4S. I have the Windows 10 version. At least Microsoft will be giving updates until late 2019. But otherwise, Alcatel is not supporting the Idol 4S.

Unfortunately, all Android OEMs will only guarantee - at maximum - 3 years of updates. Most only guarantee 2 years of Android updates.

If you purchase a phone 3 years after its initial release - to get it at a much lower price - then you will get no updates.

Economically, Android phones are among the worst electronic device deals. Perhaps the worst.

brod56

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Economically, Android phones are among the worst electronic device deals. Perhaps the worst.
Are they though? For 500 euros/dollars you can buy an Android flagship with 3 years of updates + 3 more years of custom rom support + plenty of features other phones do not offer.
In the iPhone world, the cheapest device is about 600 euros, which is already 2 years old, so updates are guaranteed for around 4 years. The OS is limited and it's a very boring device.
Security is a thing in which Android is way behind competition, agree! But about value, I'll have to disagree.

Reactions: Electr0n

Electr0n

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Feb 19, 2018
Are they though? For 500 euros/dollars you can buy an Android flagship with 3 years of updates + 3 more years of custom rom support + plenty of features other phones do not offer.
In the iPhone world, the cheapest device is about 600 euros, which is already 2 years old, so updates are guaranteed for around 4 years. The OS is limited and it's a very boring device.
Security is a thing in which Android is way behind competition, agree! But about value, I'll have to disagree.
rooting the device for custom rom support isn't everyone's cup of tea.

D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

Thread author
Then I'd rather buy new laptop/chromebook for that price + Nokia 3310 for making calls. :LOL:

Electr0n

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Feb 19, 2018
Then I'd rather buy new laptop/chromebook for that price + Nokia 3310 for making calls. :LOL:

That is actually a sound advice even if it sounds funny. I use a nokia 2 and a laptop. Phone calls, SMS, Whatsapp and sometimes few snapshots using office lense. No games on it neither any social media, occasional youtube and google searches. Battery life is crazy good(4100 mah). Helps with fighting phone addiction. But unlike 3310 I can call a cab or use maps if in need. So best of both worlds I guess.

Reactions: brod56

Mahesh Sudula

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 3, 2017
Don't root the mobile phones without having expertise and knowing future consequences.
Reduce the use of cracks to as less as possible. Download OEM updates and security patches regularly
Custom roms are ok as long as you know what your are doing..around 80% don't know the uses and consequences of them
Perform hard reset every 6 months (at least) if possible before stock your android OS as per firmware and do clean install.
AV use are ok but blind trust is BAD. Avoid cheap chinese made firmwares and mobiles to avoid vulnerable to Back doors

**Don't un necessary play with developer options in settings and unlock the Boot loader ***
Most of the times these will keep u safe hand even if compromised just re flash the stock rom.

brod56

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
That is actually a sound advice even if it sounds funny. I use a nokia 2 and a laptop. Phone calls, SMS, Whatsapp and sometimes few snapshots using office lense. No games on it neither any social media, occasional youtube and google searches. Battery life is crazy good(4100 mah). Helps with fighting phone addiction. But unlike 3310 I can call a cab or use maps if in need. So best of both worlds I guess.
That's a pretty cool solution. Smartphone addiction is indeed a problem and social media is the main root of it.

Everybody has different needs and interests. I'd rather have a powerful phone than to spend money on expensive clothing or other stuff. I find quite funny when people say they won't spend x money on a device that they use daily and then have huge houses, expensive cars.

Don't root the mobile phones without having expertise and knowing future consequences.
Reduce the use of cracks to as less as possible. Download OEM updates and security patches regularly
Custom roms are ok as long as you know what your are doing..around 80% don't know the uses and consequences of them
Perform hard reset every 6 months (at least) if possible before stock your android OS as per firmware and do clean install.
AV use are ok but blind trust is BAD. Avoid cheap chinese made firmwares and mobiles to avoid vulnerable to Back doors

**Don't un necessary play with developer options in settings and unlock the Boot loader ***
Most of the times these will keep u safe hand even if compromised just re flash the stock rom.
Of course. The most harm a malicious app can do to an unrooted device is show some ads and spy on you. When one roots and starts flashing xposed modules, he/she should know that the device is more vulnerable.
But who would do that without knowing the obvious risks (plus the chance of bricking the device)?

Thread author

I was not comparing Android phones to other phones. All mobile phones that cost more than $150 are a terrible value. Take that $500 and put it into a tower PC.

Apple phones are now at 5 years of OS updates and still going, but there is no guarantee that the update won't cause problems. If a person takes care of their Apple phone, the cost per year is a lot less than the yearly cost of an Android phone given the fact that they can get more than 3 years of updates out of it.

What matters is not the price you pay up front, but instead the real price you pay - which is the up front cost + any repair\maintenance costs divided by the total years of fully updated operational ownership.

Reactions: brod56

Thread author

Exactly. Mobile phones are a rip-off. The phone carriers scam people by offering the $1100 phone for an additional $25+ per month on their mobile phone bill - and don't forget the lost phone\damaged phone insurance at $10 per month.

Electr0n

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Feb 19, 2018
Everybody has different needs and interests. I'd rather have a powerful phone than to spend money on expensive clothing or other stuff. I find quite funny when people say they won't spend x money on a device that they use daily and then have huge houses, expensive cars.

You're right that everyone has different needs and interests, hell a single person has different needs in his different age. However, phones and house/cars aren't exactly comparable.
A house is a basic need, also big well made house is something that will stay for my family members even after I am gone. Cars, clothes these also attach sentimental value to them. You might hear people saying that they remember the clothes they wore on the day of their graduation, on the day they first met their significant ones, the car's they were driving while they got the news etc.. But you never hear someone say I had my iPhone 5 while I first met my significant other or something like that..
Phones are pretty disposable things. You will think thrice before selling the house you grew up in. But as soon as the new model comes out the old phones go for sale or in the bin.

Don't spend more money on something that won't last. I would rather buy a omega seamaster watch instead of an iPhone X anyday if I feel the need to spend that much amount of money. At least the watch will stay with me for 30-40 years easily with proper maintenance. 5 years is more than enough for a phone.

Reactions: brod56 and DeepWeb

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
I don't know anyone who has ever had Android malware. Unless you download shady little known apps from outside Play Store you will never be affected. Just make sure you run the latest Linux kernel and you already have all the protection from Linus Torvalds. lol. The permissions system is strong, far stronger than in Windows + every app is by default sandboxed + phones have no root access by default. I would say if you are on Android 7.0 you are still safe. Monthly security updates are great but nobody will ever bother exploiting those holes other than nation states. I have never heard of sophisticated Android malware. 99% of Android malware can literally be uninstalled and it's truly gone.

Now compare that to Swiss cheese Windows. Phones are the future. We are moving to a post-PC society and that is a good thing.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Thread author
I've only ever seen two Android infections. One was some low level IT guy at work that ran into my office in a panic when stuff started popping up on his phone. Uninstalling offensive apps didn't help much, but a boot cache purge and low level factory format via bootloader cleaned it up.

The other was more serious, very serious in fact. It was a hijack of the Android that turned it into an access point to spoof other devices on the network allowing an astounding level of MiTM activity on the network via the impacted Android device. So shocking in fact that going forward I will not allow Android on my network and keep all of their on their own VLAN pointed out the WAN only.

If someone wants to get you good on Android, they'll get you real good. Like good and dead good. I still feel it's better than iOS, and yes I have seen remarkable compromises of iOS, but Android can be gotten real good. :whistle:

AriDfoix

Level 3
Verified
Sep 2, 2018
PlayStore is filled with malware, GooglePlay protect is nothing serious, try look for 2000GB sd card on play store, is plenty of apps proposing clean, antivirus, Android doesn't need antivirus, the industry, matter of fact still play their tricks on Android due to dumb users.

One Android phone can be design secure, of course is not the phone you find at Walmart, someone tried CopperheadOS - Wikipedia

and if your phone allow it, you can try LineageOS, LineageOS – LineageOS Android Distribution

If all of the up is not secure, maybe you need something like this, Sirin Labs :eek:

Reactions: DeepWeb

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.