King Alpha

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 21, 2013
Do you use the built-in Windows Defragmenter or a Third-party Defragmenter? Which is better to use?
Default Defragmenter Vs. Third-Party Defragmenter

Janl92l

Level 7
Verified
Nov 7, 2014
i never feeled any diverent between deframenters. i used windows default defragmenter all the time so i chose windows defragmenter. Why install extra bloat if the build in does a nice job. :) Im now on ssd,so dont need something like this anyway.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Its just vary on accuracy to detect fragments and its ability to defrag in such haste time, caused I've used Auslogics Disk Defrag which its a minimal difference from built in Windows Defragmenter. So goes on other third party tools.

King Alpha

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 21, 2013
Its just vary on accuracy to detect fragments and its ability to defrag in such haste time, caused I've used Auslogics Disk Defrag which its a minimal difference from built in Windows Defragmenter. So goes on other third party tools.
But is it safe to use a 3rd party defragmenter?

Reactions: Logethica

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
This is a good question, @King Mellow. I voted 'Windows'. Defragmenting used to be of greater concern when I used Windows XP & earlier OS(s). It seems Windows 7 SP 1 & 8.1, if I'm not mistaken, now perform this task automatically. I have read of good opinions of 3rd party deframenters, those mentioned on this thread, as well as on members' configurations; and find the feedback very interesting.

I

illumination

I use a third party defrag "Auslogics Disk Defrag Professional" .. Being able to optimize by prefetch layout and also the ability to optimize free space, not to mention boot time defrag which can defrag files in use by windows when running.

kiric96

Level 19
Verified
Well-known
Jul 10, 2014
as for me, if you ask me, i may say that windows know what it does, with this i mean that they know how their OS handles files and due that they will know how to "optimize" that "procedure". There are some other options out there in the market that will tell you fancy stuff in order to purchase them, here is a point "if windows has one, why i should go for another one" however it will depend on the type of user you are, i can tell you that windows defraggler will do the job "just fine" in most of the cases (if you are an average user that is not "using" their HDD a lot). If you wish to have the job done quickly you can go and find 3rd party sol. that will fit your needs, but as i stated before if windows have one... why would you need another one? and worse pay for one?..

PST: i used to use tune up defraggler which is good, but i may suggest slim cleaner as it is FREEEEE xD

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Tinm

Level 3
Verified
Oct 23, 2013
Third party Defrag apps are faster and have more options, so they are always better. Just use the reputed brands.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.