New Update DefenderUI by VoodooShield - Turn on Hidden Security Features of Microsoft Defender

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Hmm, it's hard to say because I cannot see exactly what the issue is. This is odd because I am running DefnderUI on 5 computers total... last night I tested on 2 W11 machines, all without issue. So there must be a simple explanation.

You can maybe try a couple of things...

1) Uninstall, reboot and reinstall
2) After reinstalling, select the Default profile first, then select whatever profile you want to use.
3) You can also check Windows event viewer for any errors / exceptions. Instead of having a dedicated developer log for DefenderUI, I chose to just write any errors to the Windows event viewer.
Thanks @danb , I will try this later this week and report back.

F

ForgottenSeer 69673

Thank you, I appreciate that! From the looks of it, it Redmond decides to update the MD section of Windows Settings, we may not need a realtime Defender GUI ;). But I am close enough that I am going to finish it anyway, just in case. Besides, I highly doubt they make it easy to temporarily disable the realtime and cloud based protections.

Depending on what happens with VS in the next couple of months, I might even make DefenderUI open source, post it on GitHub, and head to the lake ;).

There will be a huge need for your program Dan. Not everyone can upgrade to a new PC and will use 10 until 2034 or even after

Last edited by a moderator:

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
I wasn't really aware of it until now, but I seem to be an avid user of yours.🥰
I'm waiting for new great software.👍
キャプチャ.PNG

F

ForgottenSeer 69673

Dan I am running in aggressive mode and got a folder access block ( Protected memory access block ). Is there a way to either leave the open till it is clicked on to see what the block was or maybe a tab in the GUI to link to it without opening other stuff?
Thanks

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_147 Sep. 01 11.03.jpg
    ScreenHunter_147 Sep. 01 11.03.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 207

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Hmm, it's hard to say because I cannot see exactly what the issue is. This is odd because I am running DefnderUI on 5 computers total... last night I tested on 2 W11 machines, all without issue. So there must be a simple explanation.

You can maybe try a couple of things...

1) Uninstall, reboot and reinstall
2) After reinstalling, select the Default profile first, then select whatever profile you want to use.
3) You can also check Windows event viewer for any errors / exceptions. Instead of having a dedicated developer log for DefenderUI, I chose to just write any errors to the Windows event viewer.
1 and 2 didn't solve my problem.
This is the first error found in the Windows event viewer:
Logboeknaam: Application
Bron: DefenderUI
Datum: 1-9-2021 18:47:08
Gebeurtenis-id:100
Taakcategorie: Geen
Niveau: Fout
Trefwoorden: Klassiek
Gebruiker: n.v.t.
Computer: Nitro
Beschrijving:
Exception in Main_Application_ThreadException
De waarde van 9500 is niet geldig voor Value. Value moet tussen 'Minimum' en 'Maximum' liggen.
Parameternaam: Value
bij System.Windows.Forms.TrackBar.set_Value(Int32 value)
bij DefenderUI.DefenderUIMain.﷒()
bij DefenderUI.DefenderUIMain.﷒(Object ﷐, EventArgs ﷑)
bij System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnActivated(EventArgs e)
bij System.Windows.Forms.Form.set_Active(Boolean value)
bij System.Windows.Forms.Form.WmActivate(Message& m)
bij System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
Gebeurtenis-XML:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="DefenderUI" />
<EventID Qualifiers="0">100</EventID>
<Version>0</Version>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2021-09-01T16:47:08.4205768Z" />
<EventRecordID>11546</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="0" ThreadID="0" />
<Channel>Application</Channel>
<Computer>Nitro</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data>Exception in Main_Application_ThreadException
De waarde van 9500 is niet geldig voor Value. Value moet tussen 'Minimum' en 'Maximum' liggen.
Parameternaam: Value
bij System.Windows.Forms.TrackBar.set_Value(Int32 value)
bij DefenderUI.DefenderUIMain.﷒()
bij DefenderUI.DefenderUIMain.﷒(Object ﷐, EventArgs ﷑)
bij System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnActivated(EventArgs e)
bij System.Windows.Forms.Form.set_Active(Boolean value)
bij System.Windows.Forms.Form.WmActivate(Message&amp; m)
bij System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>
Do you need more information?

danb

From VoodooShield
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
I wasn't really aware of it until now, but I seem to be an avid user of yours.🥰
I'm waiting for new great software.👍
View attachment 260369
How funny, that is pretty much what my system tray looks like ;). Hopefully that is not one of my apps that is causing high RAM usage in Bottleneck ;). Thank you!

danb

From VoodooShield
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
Dan I am running in aggressive mode and got a folder access block ( Protected memory access block ). Is there a way to either leave the open till it is clicked on to see what the block was or maybe a tab in the GUI to link to it without opening other stuff?
Thanks
I know what you mean, this happens to me as well. There might be something we can do to fix this as well, and I will be working on those features in the next few days, thank you!

danb

From VoodooShield
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
1 and 2 didn't solve my problem.
This is the first error found in the Windows event viewer:

Do you need more information?
That's all the info I need, thank you! It was an issue with the comma vs period placeholder, so it was a regional issue and it should be fixed in the version I am posting below, if not please let me know!

danb

From VoodooShield
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
Hey guys,

Here is the latest. There were not too many changes in this version, but I wanted to fix the bug that @Gandalf_The_Grey reported. Light mode is working, but I am not happy at all with the way the colors turned out, so now we just need to update the colors so they look good. If anyone has any suggestions on the colors we should use for light mode, please let me know! I tried to use a similar theme to the new Windows Settings app, but as you can see, it did not turn out very well. So we might want to completely change the light mode colors.

DefenderUI 0.60 beta
SHA-256: a5db9ea52bc53fc8bc76b30c875aa83710e1ca8126c44d2b4ed465ddedce11d4

Thank you guys!

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Hey guys,

Here is the latest. There were not too many changes in this version, but I wanted to fix the bug that @Gandalf_The_Grey reported. Light mode is working, but I am not happy at all with the way the colors turned out, so now we just need to update the colors so they look good. If anyone has any suggestions on the colors we should use for light mode, please let me know! I tried to use a similar theme to the new Windows Settings app, but as you can see, it did not turn out very well. So we might want to completely change the light mode colors.

DefenderUI 0.60 beta

Thank you guys!
Hey Dan,

Happy to report that DefenderUI survived its first reboot on my system, so it seems that my issue is fixed (y)
If I remember correctly, we had, and you fixed, the same regional issue in the past with VS.
DefenderUI and VoodooShield in AutoPilot mode are now working great together on my laptop.

Last edited:

pxxb1

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jan 17, 2018
Hey guys,

DefenderUI 0.60 beta

Thank you guys!

Hi

What is Defender guard? What is the difference between Real-time protection and d.o Defender guard?
Reactivation, what is that about and, how does it work. Can you explain that please?

pxxb1

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jan 17, 2018
Hey guys,

DefenderUI 0.60 beta

Thank you guys!

When i, just ONE example, click on - Manage exclusions - nothing happens. Is that how it it should be at this stage in development or?

danb

From VoodooShield
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
Hey Dan,

Happy to report that DefenderUI survived its first reboot on my system, so it seems that my issue is fixed (y)
If I remember correctly, we had, and you fixed, the same regional issue in the past with VS.
DefenderUI and VoodooShield in AutoPilot mode are now working great together on my laptop.
Very cool, thank you for letting me know! Yeah, that was essentially the same bug we had for the VoodooAi result in VS... I forgot to test DefenderUI with other languages / regions before I released it ;).

danb

From VoodooShield
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
Hi

What is Defender guard? What is the difference between Real-time protection and d.o Defender guard?
Reactivation, what is that about and, how does it work. Can you explain that please?
The DefenderGuard feature reactivates DefenderUI quickly after something other than the user deactivates MD, for example malware. And also ensures that the realtime protections are running on DefenderUI startup. Whereas the Auto Reactivation feature reactivates DefenderUI after the user deactivates MD.

In other words, if malware deactivates MD, we want quickly re-enable MD, but if the user deactivates MD, we want to reactivate MD at a slower interval specified by the user. I am still refining the timers so they do not interfere with each other and I am close. For example, if the user deactivates MD, we do not want the DefenderGuard timer to fire while Auto Reactivation waits 5+ minutes to reactivate MD.

Yeah, Manages Exclusions is not ready yet, but it will be soon ;). Thank you!

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
When i, just ONE example, click on - Manage exclusions - nothing happens. Is that how it it should be at this stage in development or?
I think the beta UI is the point the author is ultimately going for - it's a mix of what works now and what will be implemented in the future.
I'm looking forward to seeing what they add to "Advanced", which currently has nothing.

VecchioScarpone

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Aug 19, 2017
Updated KeepSolid VPN to latest version. Could not access internet afterward. Disabling DUI CFA (ransomware protection) gave me access to the internet again. Enabled CFA afterward and all is sweet now, no more blocks.
DUI CFA blocked another upgrade via Patch My PC few days back, forgot which app, Qbittorrent, Libre Office or CCleaner. Is this a normal behavior? Will I be required to disable CFA for any future Apps upgrade?
BTW does Configure Defender MD CFA behave the same?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.