New Update DefenderUI by VoodooShield - Turn on Hidden Security Features of Microsoft Defender

danb

From VoodooShield
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
First remarks:
During install I'm prompted by VoodooShield if I want to allow the install.
Reported it as false positive but can't find the block in the user log.
When selecting a profile, I'm asked to disable tamper protection.
Is that necessary?
The advanced tab is empty.
Yeah, the following features require Tamper Protection to be disabled if any third party app is going to make changes to these settings. I can't say that Tamper Protection is totally useless, but for me, I would prefer to disable it so that I can control MD quickly and easily instead of having to dig through tons of settings.

Realtime Protection
Behavior Monitoring
Scan all downloaded files and attachments
Script scanning

danb

From VoodooShield
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
Nice, looking forward to it`s future.

2 things:
when installing there could be some info mentioning that the "alternatives" can be changed later.

I am using Sledgehammer by David Xanatos to handle W.updates so it can`t force some installs. That means that it is blocked except the updates for MD that it takes cares of a couple of times a day. Is this soft compatible with S-hammer or does it interupt it`s function?

Edit: i just noticed that when clicking on the icon in sys.tray, i have mine at the top, it´ s box opened at the bottom.
Thank you, I appreciate that! I am not sure what you mean by "some info mentioning that the "alternatives" can be changed later", please let me know.

Yeah, the DefenderUI function is almost certainly compatible with S-hammer, and it should not interrupt its function.

Reactions: Dave Russo and Nevi

danb

From VoodooShield
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
Some further testing:
Home tab:
Scan options do not work: "Scan coming soon".
Manage Exclusions and Notification Settings do nothing.
Windows Update works as designed.
Basic tab:
Enabled controlled folder acces, profile becomes custom.
The options Block history, Protected folders and Allow app do nothing.
Yeah, there are a lot of features and functions that are not quite ready yet. I was hoping to finish them up in the next day or two, but I got a really bad bug bite on my face, so I might have to take a few days off (it is a little difficult to see). So I figured why not release a PoC / quick preview so you guys can take a quick look. It is functional, but there is quite a bit more to do.

VecchioScarpone

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Aug 19, 2017
Installed after disabling tamper protection. Using recommended setting to get use to it
WLC red at first flagging 1 file no details given.
Then after manual scan all clear
Desktop Icon seems not to be working: double click or right click then open, DUI windows setting does not appear on screen.
Taskbar notification Icon works fine.

Just a question, do recommended setting protect from tamper and ransomware?

Attachments

• WLC.png
    WLC.png
    21.5 KB · Views: 199
  • WLC after manual scan.png
    WLC after manual scan.png
    18.9 KB · Views: 201

VecchioScarpone

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Aug 19, 2017
Note:
Interactive profile disable Ransomware Protection on DUI.
Using Custom Profile for now. Question again, Does Interactive profile take care of Ransom Protection?

No rush for any answers Dan, take care of that bug bite.

Last edited:

pxxb1

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jan 17, 2018
Thank you, I appreciate that! I am not sure what you mean by "some info mentioning that the "alternatives" can be changed later", please let me know.

Yeah, the DefenderUI function is almost certainly compatible with S-hammer, and it should not interrupt its function.
One has to/can choose 1 of several alternatives, recommended, interactive, default etc, i mean thoose.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Yeah, there are a lot of features and functions that are not quite ready yet. I was hoping to finish them up in the next day or two, but I got a really bad bug bite on my face, so I might have to take a few days off (it is a little difficult to see). So I figured why not release a PoC / quick preview so you guys can take a quick look. It is functional, but there is quite a bit more to do.
No worries, it is an interesting app and I will follow its development closely.

A possible bug I found is that after some time "Prevent malware from ever infecting this system" gets disabled.
When you try to enable that feature again the app hangs and becomes unresponsive.
Closing the app through the task manager is the only option but it remains unstable.
Reinstall was the only solution for me.

Looking forward to the next version (y)

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
A possible bug I found is that after some time "Prevent malware from ever infecting this system" gets disabled.
This problem does not occur in my environment. I think it's because I didn't make detailed settings.

You will be prompted to select a profile immediately after installation, but if ConfigureDefender is installed, the settings will be overwritten.(I understand that it is a natural specification:)).
I didn't think the profile screen would be displayed first, so I chose it in a hurry.:oops:

It is very convenient that you can easily check the defender setting visually.(y)

VecchioScarpone

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Aug 19, 2017
This problem does not occur in my environment. I think it's because I didn't make detailed settings.

You will be prompted to select a profile immediately after installation, but if ConfigureDefender is installed, the settings will be overwritten.(I understand that it is a natural specification:)).
I didn't think the profile screen would be displayed first, so I chose it in a hurry.:oops:

It is very convenient that you can easily check the defender setting visually.(y)
I removed ConfiguredDefender to install DUI. Nothing wrong with CD, at the contrary I am pleased, just wanting to experiment with DUI on its own.
@show-Zi you seems to be running both, with not conflict apparent. How are you able to asses which of the two is actually doing the work and how they complement each other?
I guess it easy for anybody who has more than a basic knowledge of these things. But doesn't hurt asking.

Last edited:

danb

From VoodooShield
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
Installed after disabling tamper protection. Using recommended setting to get use to it
WLC red at first flagging 1 file no details given.
Then after manual scan all clear
Desktop Icon seems not to be working: double click or right click then open, DUI windows setting does not appear on screen.
Taskbar notification Icon works fine.

Just a question, do recommended setting protect from tamper and ransomware?
Very cool! The Recommended Profile does not have Controlled Folder Access enabled at this point, but we can change that at some point if we want. So you can select Recommended, then enable CFA if you want.

danb

From VoodooShield
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
PS
after a restart WLC is good to go no more red file flag.
Found Ransomware setting and enable.
Did enable Tamper Protection on MD. I assumed that I had to disable it for a smooth DUI installation.
A lot of the features in DefenderUI will work with Tamper Protection enabled, but if you want to use all of the features, TP has to be disabled.

danb

From VoodooShield
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
No worries, it is an interesting app and I will follow its development closely.

When you try to enable that feature again the app hangs and becomes unresponsive.
Closing the app through the task manager is the only option but it remains unstable.
Reinstall was the only solution for me.

Looking forward to the next version (y)
Interesting, thank you for letting me know, I will try to reproduce this bug.

danb

From VoodooShield
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
I removed ConfiguredDefender to install DUI. Nothing wrong with CD, at the contrary I am pleased, just wanting to experiment with DUI on its own.
@show-Zi you seems to be running both, with not conflict apparent. How are you able to asses which of the two is actually doing the work and how they complement each other?
I guess it easy for anybody who has more than a basic knowledge of these things. But doesn't hurt asking.
CD should be compatible with DefenderUI, and I am trying to make everything as compatible as possible so that users can switch between the two without any conflicts or confusion. Basically, whichever app you are running and using at the time is the one that is doing the actual work. You will notice that if you have both open and are using CD, then when you activate the DefenderUI window, it will auto update all of the settings that the user changed what using CD.

VecchioScarpone

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Aug 19, 2017
A lot of the features in DefenderUI will work with Tamper Protection enabled, but if you want to use all of the features, TP has to be disabled.
When yesterday I tried selecting Interactive it forced Custom Mode with Tamper Protection enabled.
Today I changed profile to Aggressive and ignored TP prompt, it did not revert to Custom.
DUI is on Aggressive mode with MD Tamper protection On. Will there be conflict?
Please tell me if I am barking up the wrong tree with what I'm doing and just disable Tamper Protection. Do not whish to take up your valuable time

Attachments

• DUI Agressive Profilre.png
    DUI Agressive Profilre.png
    19.1 KB · Views: 160
  • MD Tamper Protection.png
    MD Tamper Protection.png
    8 KB · Views: 170

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.