Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikos751

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
Shut down Avast via the Avast GUI, then try to stop any services running in services.msc The driver might still be loaded so may disallow this, but you should be able to change the start type to "manual" and reboot (make sure you stop avast from starting too with msconfig.exe) And of course, make a note of everything you change so you can restore everything correctly later :)
I did these (Avast does not have a shutdown option in it's gui, I disabled self defense to kill it), and the problem is still there..

Reactions: Cowpipe

Nikos751

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
  • Disabled Avast self defense.
  • Killed avast executables running in task manager.
  • Disabled avast service via services.msc
  • Disabled Avast entry in msconfig.
  • Disabled avast in startup tab in task manager.
    I have rebooted the system, and now nothing related to Avast seems to be running in details tab of task manager.

Chromatinfish 123

Level 21
Verified
May 26, 2014
  • Disabled Avast self defense.
  • Killed avast executables running in task manager.
  • Disabled avast service via services.msc
  • Disabled Avast entry in msconfig.
  • Disabled avast in startup tab on task manager.
    I have rebooted the system, and now nothing related to Avast seems to be running in details tab of task manager.
Did you check to show processes from all users?
Do you have any other security products installed? List them here.

Nikos751

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
Did you check to show processes from all users?
Do you have any other security products installed? List them here.
There is no such option in windows 8 task manager (show proccesses from all users), it must be on by default. I checked with proccess explorer too, to make sure nothing related is running.
As for other security programs, only MBAM free is installed (no trial of realtime prot. enabled).

The problem does happen to a laptop I formatted recently, my laptop, my brothers laptop, my desktop PC, and my brothers desktop PC... every system!

Chromatinfish 123

Level 21
Verified
May 26, 2014
There is no such option in windows 8 task manager (show proccesses from all users), it must be on by default. I checked with proccess explorer too, to make sure nothing related is running.
As for other security programs, only MBAM free is installed (no trial of realtime prot. enabled).
Try resetting Chrome.
Click the hamburger menu>>Settings>>Show Advanced Settings>>Reset Chrome.

Restart your computer and disable Avast! as usual.
Now see if the problem is there. If it is, reply (as usual) :)

Chromatinfish 123

Level 21
Verified
May 26, 2014
Also, please list your Chrome extensions or any software that is related to Chrome (Advanced SystemCare Pro, etc.), manages to speed up chrome, etc.
Can you please stay here for a little bit longer every time so we don't take 50 years to solve this thread? :p

Nikos751

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
Sorry, I was a little busy, I will be more synced now.
The problem continues.
No extension installed.
Ccleaner installed only for cleaning.

Nikos751

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
I do not fully understand your question, I guess you want me to tell you what common programs are installed on those computers.
Most of these computers were formatted the last days, I install office, winrar, mtorrent, graphics drivers, skype, viber, vlc or other media player.. These are the very essentials, and with these the problem occurs.

Chromatinfish 123

Level 21
Verified
May 26, 2014
I do not fully understand your question, I guess you want me to tell you what common programs are installed on those computers.
Most of these computers were formatted the last days, I install office, winrar, mtorrent, graphics drivers, skype, viber, vlc or other media player.. These are the very essentials, and with these the problem occurs.
Can you try this?
Download Chrome Canary here.
Download Firefox here.

Does the problem still occur with Canary/Firefox?
If Yes, then reply.
If No, uninstall Canary/Firefox from your system and reinstall Chrome.

Nikos751

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
At the moment, I only tried Canary build. It opens almost instantly, nothing like before. Maybe this is due to 64 bit though or sth, maybe without avast installed it will be even faster.

Reactions: Chromatinfish 123

Nikos751

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
Also, at this situation, I tried microsoft word to compare launch speed with the same laptop that my brother owns (he has avira), and his, was faster in hot (not cold anyway) start of word.

Chromatinfish 123

Level 21
Verified
May 26, 2014
Try resetting Chrome.
Click the hamburger menu>>Settings>>Show Advanced Settings>>Reset Chrome.

Restart your computer and disable Avast! as usual.
Now see if the problem is there. If it is, reply (as usual) :)
Also, at this situation, I tried microsoft word to compare launch speed with the same laptop that my brother owns (he has avira), and his, was faster in hot (not cold anyway) start of word.
Try doing the instructions above with stable chrome.

Nikos751

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
now, I reinstalled stable Chrome. It had no profile saved before, so it is in it's first usage state. Launching time is again slower and slower than with Canary.
*I thought no reboot is required for this step described in this message.

Nikos751

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
I did a reboot in the end, but no luck.
From all these, I suppose it's something running related to avast. Probably the avast driver itself.

Chromatinfish 123

Level 21
Verified
May 26, 2014
I did a reboot in the end, but no luck.
From all these, I suppose it's something running related to avast. Probably the avast driver itself.
If that's the case, follow these steps.
1. Download Utility here.
2. Reboot your computer into safe mode
3. Open utility and click "remove"
4. Reboot your computer into normal mode

Avast should be uninstalled. Now follow these steps:
1. Reset Chrome following the steps from my earlier post (No restart)
2. Launch Chrome Stable
Still have the issue?

(Reinstall Avast! here.

Nikos751

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
I don't have the issue after step 2 (as expected). I ve not installed Avast again yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.