Check for updates and Notify
User Access Control
Notify me only when programs try to make changes to my computer
Real-time security
F-Secure Safe
Symantec Endpoint(Firewall only)
Firewall security
About custom security
Default settings except sending usage data disabled.
Periodic malware scanners
Emsisoft Emergency Kit
Hitman Pro
Norton Power Eraser
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Browsers: Microsoft Edge(Chromium) and Firefox
Smartscreen turned on and tracking protection set to strict
Extensions:
ublock origin
Bitwarden
Tampermonkey
Dark Reader
Enhancer for Youtube
Maintenance tools
Shadow Defender
CCleaner portable
Wise Disk Cleaner portable
HiBit uninstaller portable
Portableapps.com platform
PatchMyPC
File and Photo backup
Copy to External Hard Drive
Google Drive
Mega
System recovery
Macrium Reflect
Risk factors
    • Browsing to popular websites
    • Browsing to unknown / untrusted / shady sites
    • Working from home
    • Streaming audio/video content from shady sites
Computer specs
Dell Inspiron laptop
Intel i5 processor
8GB Ram
128GB SSD
1TB HDD

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
Update Your system, soon 1809 will lose support...

You may also set UAC to Always Notify.

Please kindly reflect Your changes editing Your config, and announcing them here, thanks for sharing :)

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 823865

Could you please elaborate more? I am afraid that I don't understand why.
If your machine is compromised using AA, the attacker has full access to your system. You limit the damage using SUA.

and

"Starting from Windows Vista the users, even those who are members of the local admin group, cannot be the administrators constantly. This is so that the users do not cause any damage to the system by accident or by malicious intent. "

Of course sophisticated malware won't care much, but better have it than nothing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Read it and also there is a tutorial
I would not recommend this article for more experienced users. It contains some incorrect information.:( The most important mistake? The author thinks that SUA is safe because the user cannot install applications and malware cannot do it too (many applications can be installed on SUA without knowing Admin password). From the text it follows, that author somewhat mixed SUA and Guest accounts.
But anyway, the article can be useful to novice users who will not see the difference. The main idea is OK.

Post edited (in italics).

Last edited:

CyberTech

Level 44
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
I would not recommend this article for more experienced users. It contains some incorrect information.:( The most important mistake? The author thinks that SUA is safe because the user cannot install applications and malware cannot do it too. From the text it follows, that author somewhat mixed SUA and Guest accounts.
But anyway, the article can be useful to novice users who will not see the difference. The main idea is OK.

Oops i posted a tutorial for The Cog in the Machine, well sorry about that thanks for the head up..

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
Made another 2 changes:
Replaced Edge Beta with Edge Stable.
Replaced simplewall with symantec endpoint firewall. Previously it didn't work. The fix was using "Smc -stop" on Run to stop its service and "Smc -start" to start it again.
F-secure safe and symantec firewall only config still feels lighter than Eset.

Vitali Ortzi

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 12, 2016
Made another 2 changes:
Replaced Edge Beta with Edge Stable.
Replaced simplewall with symantec endpoint firewall. Previously it didn't work. The fix was using "Smc -stop" on Run to stop its service and "Smc -start" to start it again.
F-secure safe and symantec firewall only config still feels lighter than Eset.
symantec firewall only is great basically a superior to most consumer av "firewalls" and can be compared to snort with Symantec DeepSight
(Symantec intelligence)

Last edited:

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
symantec firewall only is great basically a superior to most consumer av "firewalls" and can be compared to snort with Symantec DeepSight
(Symantec intelligence)
I loved the sygate firewall I tested on VM in the past and loved it. Thanks for your thread, until which I didn't know you could use unmanaged SEP for free.

Vitali Ortzi

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 12, 2016
I loved the sygate firewall I tested on VM in the past and loved it. Thanks for your thread, until which I didn't know you could use unmanaged SEP for free.
yeah its just a bloated sygate enterprise imo
and best of all you can disable all submissions and make it one of the most friendly freely available focused privacy security products in practice (assuming you route all live update via proxy as well)
but don't make it fool you they have CIA/NSA sponsored staff and wikileaks document show cased they might have a deeper ties inside the company itself
so for home users no issues criminals beware

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.