shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
it's a good idea to make system image backups, they help you recover from disasters as well as botched software installation. A good choice is macrium reflect, you could also use easeus todo, or aomei.

your config is strong on the signature-based side, but a bit weak on the anti-exploit side.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Consider some type of backup solution.Macrium Reflect and AOMEI Backupper offer good free versions.
Make sure that you are regularly checking for important OS updates.
Other than that your config looks good! Thanks for sharing it with us :)

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
" OS Security Updates:Check for Updates, but do not auto-download or install "

i really miss this feature of the Windows operating systems prior to 10.
I miss it too. But I realized something lately. Many basic users disable Windows Update and get infected. Many never enable it again. And above average users with some interest in tech and advanced users still can disable it easily with other methods. Most of them know importance of updates so they'll manually update regularly and disable auto update again. So I don't have poblem with MS forcing automatic updates anymore.

JHomes

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2016
I would recommend that you also add a data backup tool. Last few months has seen a push for both a data and system backup, Macrium Reflect works well as a System Backup, but you may want a data backup as well. Comodo Time Machine, Rollback Rx, AX64 (although I'm not a fan of AX64, it's still an option) are all great choices.

Don't get me wrong tho, Macrium Reflect is great but as it's a system backup, it's slow, cumbersome, and when you need data after say a ransomware attack or even a simple BSOD you may want the option for a quick recovery rather than waiting 20 min, 45 min, possibly more.

Either way dude, awesome config!

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
@Deletedmessiah , I've known your name & posts yet had missed seeing your configuration posts too ..until now, just one "heartbeat" behind frogboy whom is amphibious (while this cat's been napping!).:D
Your choices of layered protection, taking a break from MBAM, and use of NVT ERP, are impressive.

For added privacy with your Chromium sourced Opera browser, you may go under settings >>> privacy >> and then check the box beside "Block third party cookies".

Additionally, CCleaner is a gentle yet thorough free software endorsed by many whom are more knowledgeable than I. It safely cleans accumulated "Junk" to further keep your system both clear & private. (for a portable version, scroll to the bottom of page, find it under "Builds").
Thank you for sharing your setup, allowing us to share with you, and
...by the way, your user name is Very Cool!:D

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
@Deletedmessiah , I've known your name & posts yet had missed seeing your configuration posts too ..until now, just one "heartbeat" behind frogboy whom is amphibious (while this cat's been napping!).:D
Your choices of layered protection, taking a break from Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, and use of NVT ERP, are impressive.

For added privacy with your Chromium sourced Opera browser, you may go under settings >>> privacy >> and then check the box beside "Block third party cookies".

Additionally, CCleaner is a gentle yet thorough free software endorsed by many whom are more knowledgeable than I. It safely cleans accumulated "Junk" to further keep your system both clear & private. (for a portable version, scroll to the bottom of page, find it under "Builds").
Thank you for sharing your setup, allowing us to share with you, and
...by the way, your user name is Very Cool!:D
Thanks! You have a nice name too. Some really nice cats here at MT! :D
99% of my browsing is either incognito or in Sandboxie so I think I won't need to block 3rd party cookies. Blocking 3rd party cookies didn't allow me to comment on Youtube and few other sites and I was too lazy to whitelist them one by one.:p
Same with using incognito all the time. Rather than privacy reason, it was because I'm lazy to clear history. :rolleyes:
Using Ccleaner for some years. I think you missed it above.

Last edited:

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
I would recommend that you also add a data backup tool. Last few months has seen a push for both a data and system backup, Macrium Reflect works well as a System Backup, but you may want a data backup as well. Comodo Time Machine, Rollback Rx, AX64 (although I'm not a fan of AX64, it's still an option) are all great choices.

Don't get me wrong tho, Macrium Reflect is great but as it's a system backup, it's slow, cumbersome, and when you need data after say a ransomware attack or even a simple BSOD you may want the option for a quick recovery rather than waiting 20 min, 45 min, possibly more.

Either way dude, awesome config!

Thanks! I've used Rollback RX in the past and liked it. Backup and restore was really fast and had no problems. But I decided to remove it. Mainly because there was no option to disable schedular to create snapshot every day at 1st boot. I prefer to do it manually. Does pro version remove this limitation? Never knew Comodo had a time machine software.
Good point though. With increasing ransomware issues and Windows well known issues out of nowhere, data backup will be useful. I may reconsider Rollback RX or similar software in the future.

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
This is one I missed , it is a good gonfig. Nothing to add here. Juat remember backups are only slightly less important than a heartbeat. ;):D

Thanks for sharing with us here at MT. :)
Since you've been Macrium user for a long time, I wanted to ask you one thing. Example: I backup C drive(partition size 80 GB) along with those small system partitions created after installing Windows. Lets say I formatted and deleted all drives to make it one drive(450GB), and will restoring C drive without partitioning to original size cause any issues?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.