Basic Security Deletedmessiah's configuration

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
Since you've been Macrium user for a long time, I wanted to ask you one thing. Example: I backup C drive(partition size 80 GB) along with those small system partitions created after installing Windows. Lets say I formatted and deleted all drives to make it one drive(450GB), and will restoring C drive without partitioning to original size cause any issues?
I have not done this before but I can't see any problem doing it this way.

JHomes

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2016
Thanks! I've used Rollback RX in the past and liked it. Backup and restore was really fast and had no problems. But I decided to remove it. Mainly because there was no option to disable schedular to create snapshot every day at 1st boot. I prefer to do it manually. Does pro version remove this limitation? Never knew Comodo had a time machine software.
Good point though. With increasing ransomware issues and Windows well known issues out of nowhere, data backup will be useful. I may reconsider Rollback RX or similar software in the future.

Yeah when I was reading this I raised an eye brow, I've always been able to edit, delete, add tasks but I use the Pro Edition.

Out of curiosity I downloaded the freeware Home Edition and indeed you can't edit tasks at all. Different than the Pro Edition which I've always been able to edit tasks. You can always remove tasks and do it manually as well.

Don't know if sale is still on when you get this, HDS does a few sales throughout the year but I'd recommend waiting for the sale.

Comodo made an OEM of Rollback Rx, it's callled Comodo Time Machine. It's not as good as Rollback Rx imo as it's based on Rollback Rx version 8 (they're now on Version 10). but hey it's still an option :)

Yeah Rollback has been (surprisingly) the best tool against ransomware. I was infected a while back. OS was compromised, my disk images were corrupted, the only thing that was able to restore my machine was Rollback! Because it encrypts the program and data it's protected from attacks.

Either way, food for thought. Your config is pretty good, I just recommend having something else to back up the machine that's a bit faster. You can still do without but of course there's a bit more of a risk factor involved there.

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
Yeah when I was reading this I raised an eye brow, I've always been able to edit, delete, add tasks but I use the Pro Edition.

Out of curiosity I downloaded the freeware Home Edition and indeed you can't edit tasks at all. Different than the Pro Edition which I've always been able to edit tasks. You can always remove tasks and do it manually as well.

Don't know if sale is still on when you get this, HDS does a few sales throughout the year but I'd recommend waiting for the sale.

Comodo made an OEM of Rollback Rx, it's callled Comodo Time Machine. It's not as good as Rollback Rx imo as it's based on Rollback Rx version 8 (they're now on Version 10). but hey it's still an option :)

Yeah Rollback has been (surprisingly) the best tool against ransomware. I was infected a while back. OS was compromised, my disk images were corrupted, the only thing that was able to restore my machine was Rollback! Because it encrypts the program and data it's protected from attacks.

Either way, food for thought. Your config is pretty good, I just recommend having something else to back up the machine that's a bit faster. You can still do without but of course there's a bit more of a risk factor involved there.
Yes, definitely will wait for sale or giveaway:p
Looks like Comodo's time machine hasn't been updated since 2012(according to softpedia).
No worries. You had great recommendation. Macrium and other system image solutions can't compare with Rollback's speed. 1-2 minutes vs 20-30 minutes. It is also good for uninstalling. Not quite uninstalling but its pretty pain uninstalling some software. Rollback makes it painless and quick. Also what are your thoughts on Shadow defender? Never used it but seems like a great soft.

JHomes

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2016
Yes, definitely will wait for sale or giveaway:p
Looks like Comodo's time machine hasn't been updated since 2012(according to softpedia).
No worries. You had great recommendation. Macrium and other system image solutions can't compare with Rollback's speed. 1-2 minutes vs 20-30 minutes. It is also good for uninstalling. Not quite uninstalling but its pretty pain uninstalling some software. Rollback makes it painless and quick. Also what are your thoughts on Shadow defender? Never used it but seems like a great soft.

Definitely. It's good to have options when restoring and that's what I push for. You shouldn't be relying on one solution because if it has an issue, it's gone.

I tried Shadow Defender, and I apologize to it's fans but I wasn't overly impressed. It's similar to other restore on reboot solutions in that it restores your machine to a clean state, but it does so by creating a virtual environment. This always kinda bugged me, I prefer to use my own machine and not just creating a focused VM of my machine. It makes things cumbersome IMO and hard to manage. Still, it's not a BAD program per se, it's just that I can think of solutions I'd rather prefer. Rollback uses my native machine, no VM, and it's easier to use IMO. Keep in mind I'm an old fart, so ease of use is pretty important to me.

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
Definitely. It's good to have options when restoring and that's what I push for. You shouldn't be relying on one solution because if it has an issue, it's gone.

I tried Shadow Defender, and I apologize to it's fans but I wasn't overly impressed. It's similar to other restore on reboot solutions in that it restores your machine to a clean state, but it does so by creating a virtual environment. This always kinda bugged me, I prefer to use my own machine and not just creating a focused VM of my machine. It makes things cumbersome IMO and hard to manage. Still, it's not a BAD program per se, it's just that I can think of solutions I'd rather prefer. Rollback uses my native machine, no VM, and it's easier to use IMO. Keep in mind I'm an old fart, so ease of use is pretty important to me.
Its OK, not everyone has same opinion and preference.

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
Some minor changes

Added:
Hitman pro
Eset sysinspector
Lastpass in Firefox
Enhancer for Youtube in Firefox and Opera
S3 Translator in Firefox

Removed: Improvedtube from Opera and Firefox

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.