Troubleshoot Dell laptop uefi dvd boot help

blueblackwow65

Level 23
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Dec 19, 2012
Hi I have tried everythin with this I am trying to install another os on my laptop which has both uefi and legacy.I get the error cannot install because of gpt.
I go into bios turn off secure boot, keep uefi , and try to add option for dvd drive because no option is there for it since I am using a dvd. No matter what, no dvd option is made or comes up.
Should I just convert the whole disk to mbr? Will i lose anything?
Is there a fix for the dvd bootup problem? Thks

angustaver

Level 4
Verified
Oct 10, 2014
Are you going to install in uefi or in legacy?
If the disk is gpt (uefi)
I can not install legacy
To install legacy you should clean the disk with
The diskpart command (search in google)
or vice versa

Upvote 0

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
There's no need to convert the whole structure to mbr only to be able to access boot entry from a DVD. Did you try making ISO from DVD and then burn that ISO to USB using Rufus?
Note : converting from MBR to GPT and GPT to MBR shouldn't lead to data loss if done properly.

Reactions: blueblackwow65
Upvote 0

blueblackwow65

Level 23
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Dec 19, 2012
I did not burn iso to usb because there is no boot for usb in bios either ,I was using uefi.Where to go from here ..Thks

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.