Der.Reisende Sec 2017

Qihoo 360 IS - is it really comparable to KIS or any other paid AV in terms of security?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Last updated
Dec 31, 1969
Windows Edition
Pro
User Access Control
Notify me only when programs try to make changes to my computer
Real-time security
*HUB testing laptop: Dr. Web Security Space 11 (latest stable, stock settings)
*Main machine: Comodo Firewall (Proactive Security setting) and Avira Pro (max HEUR setting) - both latest stable
Firewall security
Periodic malware scanners
HitmanPro (always current stable)
HitmanPro.Alert (always current stable)
Zemana Anti-Malware (Premium)
McAfee GetSusp (highly recommended, free)
Malware sample testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Slimjet x64 current stable, set to be always incognito, no referrers
Extensions: LastPass, Https everywhere, Avira Browser Safety
Maintenance tools
n/a

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Thread author
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
Configuration as above.

Virus testing on SSD equipped laptop I used for everything but virus testing before (this is now done on the new PC), as the old PC has been replaced. Config unchanged, just ShadowDefender added for virtualization + self protection (this is part of the Hub Rules).
For security reasons, all personal data has been moved to my non-HUB-PC, also, the HUB laptop has been set to an local account (no OneDrive).

New PC same config, minus ShadowDefender. Used for all business and study stuff, plus some Photoshop and lower end gaming due to powerful i7 + SSD but missing external GPU (PS4 ftw). It even has some Intel Hardware Protection stuff I don't understand by now but noticed quickly that HMP.A seems to love. However this PC will not be used for Hub Testing (due to file security and online banking reasons). This one has a Microsoft Account (OneDrive connected).

===== Outdated old text START =====

Both are equipped with latest Qihoo 360 TS (non-HUB PC is maxed out, on the HUB testing laptop set to stock settings. Is it really comparable to KIS or any other paid AV in terms of security? ---> can give you the answer now: Yes, yes and yes, it's faster, has better detection rate (see some posts further) and is free).

Also, it has MBAM Premium (changed to EEK, again changed yesterday to ZAM Product testers license (20.02.2016, thank you Zemana + @illumination), doing fine so long and the Chrome (same config) on it. I mainly used it for gaming (all newer stuff -> PS4).

===== Outdated old text END =====
Defrag by Auslogics.

EDIT:
Added ShadowDefender as kind of a VM, as @exterminator20 suggested, after being really really convinced on this product after the test period :) I'm not sure who suggested me to try out SD, but thank you for that :)

EDIT 2:
Returned to ABP, as I noticed site issues with uBlock (Origin).
2nd Browsers are Edge + IE (current stable), as they're automatically updated by M$, however I don't trust them (missing AdBlocker, ongoing news on insecurity) as well as I don't feel them as fast and comfortable to use like Google Chrome.

EDIT 3:
For Malware Hub purposes, I use TCPView and Autoruns, both by Sysinternals, for tracking malicious actions.

EDIT4:

Qihoo 360 Total Security (latest used stable: 8.6.0.1156) removed due to a massive drop in detection (cloud only, stock settings, see HUB). Replaced it with Emsisoft Internet Security 11, current stable and testing it in the HUB.

EDIT 5:
Just a notice: HUB laptop Local Account @ Win10 Home
Multi-purpose PC Microsoft Account @ Win 10 Pro

EDIT 6:
Added Avira Browser Safety to Google Chrome (Price comparison feature deactivated)
Avira Browser Safety
Added CyberGhost VPN (free) for Malicious URL testing purposes

Thank you @silversurfer for the tips!

EDIT 7: Back at Qihoo 360 Total Security (current version: 8.8.0.1080) to give it a second chance, replaced Emsisoft Internet Security 11. 360 Internet Protection added to Google Chrome. Added Comodo Firewall with the suggested settings from here: Video Review - Qihoo Total Security- An initial test

EDIT 8: Because of Qihoo 360 Total Security not fitting my needs, using and testing Comodo Internet Security Premium (free) now.
*Malware testing setup: stock settings = Internet Security Preset (option to show less alarms unticked in setup)
*Main machine: Proactive Security Preset (option to show less alarms unticked in setup)
*both setups: option to exclude sandboxing of Downloads and shared folders deactivated in Advanced settings -> Sandbox settings.

EDIT 9: Removed WOT extension for Google Chrome (because of the privacy issue that lately came up in the news), added Windscribe VPN free (Google Chrome extension only), removed free CyberGhost VPN.

EDIT 10: From December on, will replace CIS by Dr. Web Security Space 11 to test in the HUB.
Main PC still uses Comodo Firewall (Proactive Security setting) to step up the game of Avira Pro 2017.
CyberGhost VPN and Windscribe do not work properly on my sys, installing ExpressVPN now.

EDIT 11: Added AdGuard Browser Extension to Google Chrome, installed VoodooShield Free (latest) to boost protection.

Last edited:

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Thread author
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
Hi exterminator20,

added uBlock (i guess the Origin version is the most current one according to the version # ?)
added Privazer

Browser: I really dislike the new FF (last time I used it is years ago though), also employ IE, never use it 'cause of speed and security.
Maybe will add another one.

Will inform myself how to set up that VM.

Thank you very much for your help :)

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
So far so good to your configuration: +1 on doing incognito as your primary browsing habit style. ;)

To answer from your poll well in case of detection capabilities without Bitdefender + Avira Engine on, then Kaspersky may have an edge for that however if both on then surely Qihoo as an edge.

Speaking from features, well I find KIS to be more interesting and better concept of protection like their Application Control Privilege and Firewall configuration in primetime.

Qihoo as also pack with Sandbox browsing, HIPS and few others which you may interest to use them.

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Thread author
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
Good morning jamescv7 and thank you for your reply :) Glad to have improved my sec (I took lot's of advices from this forum, before I decided to register to be able to take part actively).

Had to google "HIPS" as the abb. was still new for me :) Reminds me kinda the baby food (at least well known in Germany ;) )

I will have a further look in Qihoo's capabilities to see if I've overlooked some :)

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Thread author
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
Ok guys, time to update my post a bit:

Now using Qihoo 360 TSE (Protection Mode "Security") on both machines, as Qihoo turned out to be a great choice (regularly virus testing with files from this place here), and KIS 2015 yesterday had some shocking results when I scanned the Malware Pack, please refer to Daniel Hildalgo's post here http://malwaretips.com/threads/virussignlist-404.49814/
It used way to much system resources, and after an hour of scanning and trying to clean the files inside the folder, my PC got frozen. For comparison, Qihoo 360 TSE deleted / cleaned 403 out of 404 files in 5-10 minutes on my slower tower PC (no SSD). It was the first time I ever tried out KIS in terms of deliberately virus scanning, not just scanning an unknown received file).
It is clean though, but now equipped with Qihoo 360 TSE and backed up by EEK instead of MBAM Pro.

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
Ok guys, time to update my post a bit:

Now using Qihoo 360 TSE (Protection Mode "Security") on both machines, as Qihoo turned out to be a great choice (regularly virus testing with files from this place here), and KIS 2015 yesterday had some shocking results.

Looks like Qihoo 360 will speed up and improve your system response and security!

Good config :) Qihoo+MBAM Premium as well? Yep a strong wall which you can be a little careless online with :) That is a good security.

You can edit KIS out of your post by clicking "Thread Tools", and "Edit Thread Fields"

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Thread author
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
Looks like Qihoo 360 will speed up and improve your system response and security!

Good config :) Qihoo+MBAM Premium as well? Yep a strong wall which you can be a little careless online with :) That is a good security.

You can edit KIS out of your post by clicking "Thread Tools", and "Edit Thread Fields"

Thank you, did not know this, will update now :) Also I feel lucky you like my config :)

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
Thank you, did not know this, will update now :) Also I feel lucky you like my config :)

gerne :)

It's a good config, should defend nicely against malware.

I also like Auslogics Defragmenter... its fast and does pretty well.

MyDefrag does the best possible job of any defragmenting tool, I notice an actual small speed increase! BUT (kills restore points) though.

Defraggler is good but slow, and System Mechanics Defragmenter is my favorite but doesn't come as a single product :(

Last edited:

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Thread author
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
Oh cool. Traveling keeps things fresh and new! Taking pictures is a must.
Fully agree :) Yes, this is what brought me to photography :) Have tons of photos from vacations on my PC (and backed up), but most of them do not seem as good as I'd like to share them on Flickr (you probably remember the link from my member introduction *smile*) :) Yes, you grow into photography. You start out easy, shooting everything and everyone, and then it becomes better and better as you learn important technique(s) and get an eye for details :)

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Thread author
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
nice config but i find auslogic disk defrag buggy especially the pro version
Thank you :) I use the free version, no problems by now. Don't know why I should pay for the pro version (Boost Speed?), as well I do not trust (I am a bit careful, I use them ok) those cleaners very well it's said they can do more harm than they use (especially registry things).

Good update, it is an advanced config, congrats :)
Thank you very much :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.