Battle Desktop Client Mail vs WebMail security

IceLion36

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Aug 1, 2017
Hi,

I would like to start using a desktop client to manage all my email services.
I would like to know if a desktop client is safer than a webmail client (in particular in case of email or infected files included in the mail) and which email client software is the best for security and features(Outlook 2016, Thunderbird, Windows 10 Mail or something else ...).

I'm running KIS 2019 on my Computer

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Desktop client is generally less secure than webmail for a variety of reasons.. For one, there are extra hops on the risky internet client based email has to take. Your client itself, unless it's TheBAT! isn't encrypting anything including at-rest. Many exploits and malware is specifically engineered to exploit desktop clients. Etc. Also we now know email in transit security is largely broken right now.

Email security has just been completely broken

Best Option: if you get a lot of people you talk to using the same webmail service it provides even more protection since the email never leaves the hosting company. For example Protonmail to Protonmail or Tutanota to Tutanota is very secure, traversal is stopped from exiting the server.

This is similar to an old intelligence trick where one shares an email account password, then create 'Drafts' but never send them. Person 1 logs in, creates a draft but never sends it. Person 2 logs in, reads the drafts and deletes them, then creates drafts in reply but never sends them.

If I was going to use a desktop client I would use The Bat! and none other. But I would also be aware that email security is largely broken.

The Bat! - Secure Desktop Email Client for Windows 10

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
I use mailbird for my email communications, however they are mostly to receive newsletters from sites I follow or announcements from school or my work emails. Anything important or confidential should be moved to apps like telegram, whatsapp or signal ASAP.

Aerdian

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Jun 3, 2018
Webmail is normally more secure. That way, you're not downloading attachments to your computer, but rather viewing them online (if you receive attachments for work reasons, etc. that you need to open). Gmail is one of the most secure email clients, but, for the most part, desktop email is not too bad. I use Gmail for most of my email, but I do use Windows 10 Mail so all my email is in one place. I haven't had any issues. Unless I know exactly where it's coming from, I don't open attachments either, though.

Reactions: frogboy and shmu26

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
It is actually a browser vs a desktop client. Browsers are more exploitable, an email client will simply download the email and that is it. Just make sure, that you will be downloading emails via encrypted ports: 465, 993, 995. Non encrypted: 25, 110, 143. Most clients use OpenSSL.

You can not get infected via emails, if you open emails in txt by default and if you do not open attachments blindly.
I use POP Peeper Free. It might not look as much, but it works great, it is highly customizable, light and secure.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.