harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
@Devilboss94:

You may set UAC to Always Notify.

In System Backup, You may add Macrium Reflect Free or AOEMI Backupper, both are free and reliable.

In Data BackUp, consider also to run manual backups of important data to external devices, and/or in cloud services.

In Virus and Malware Removal Tools, You may add EmsiSoft Emergengy Kit.

A PassWord Manager would be welcome also.

Please kindly reflect Your changes editing Your config, and announcing them here, thanks for sharing :)

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
Do the stated above.

Backup:
- Ease Todo Backup, Macrium and Aomei are considered to be very good, free and reliable options on top of using the native OneDrive, remember the more places you have your important data backed up at, the more secure it can be, but this comes down to you depending how regular your backups are.

Native Firewall:
- I would suggest to use Tinywall as a control method, easy to use, below 2MB to install, light, easy learning curve and can be used straight away, whilst it can learn from you system, pair this with Syshardener which can also add rules to Windows FW, you have a strong back end here alone

UAC:
- This should be always be set to "Always Notify"

VoodooShield:
- If you have purchased a license for this, ignore my advice here, but maybe VDS isn't needed alongside Kaspersky AV, as this is strong on it's own. As an alternative especially as you have a family PC, you could use OSArmor. If VDS has a false positive it's hard for a non-tech savvy fam member to use this. So this could be easier

Browser Extensions:
- If Kaspersky doesn't have a security extension, you could look at using Bitdefender Trafficlight, as this has consistently been top tier in @Evjl's Rain tests

Thanks for sharing, hoping the advice above helps you.

~LDogg

Last edited:

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Browser Extensions:
- If Kaspersky doesn't have a security extension, you could look at using Bitdefender Trafficlight, as this has consistently been top tier in @Evjl's Rain tests
Kaspersky does have a browser extension "Kaspersky Protection" and it is in the same league as Bitdefender TrafficLight.
So no need for an extra extension.

Devilboss94

Level 1
Thread author
Apr 16, 2020
Do the stated above.

Backup:
- Ease Todo Backup, Macrium and Aomei are considered to be very good, free and reliable options on top of using the native OneDrive, remember the more places you have your important data backed up at, the more secure it can be, but this comes down to you depending how regular your backups are.

Native Firewall:
- I would suggest to use Tinywall as a control method, easy to use, below 2MB to install, light, easy learning curve and can be used straight away, whilst it can learn from you system, pair this with Syshardener which can also add rules to Windows FW, you have a strong back end here alone

UAC:
- This should be always be set to "Always Notify"

VoodooShield:
- If you have purchased a license for this, ignore my advice here, but maybe VDS isn't needed alongside Kaspersky AV, as this is strong on it's own. As an alternative especially as you have a family PC, you could use OSArmor. If VDS has a false positive it's hard for a non-tech savvy fam member to use this. So this could be easier

Browser Extensions:

Thanks for sharing, hoping the advice above helps you.

~LDogg
Hi, I read your advice thanks!
Then some clarifications:

1 Backup I forgot to write it I use Onedrive with additional data plan and I am fine, I use it only with sensitive data the other unimportant files exclude them.

2 Well the Windows Firewall has always been excellent, but I can't rule out trying Tinywall in the future, I've heard of it very well.

3 UAC already active I forgot.

4 Voodooshield does not give any slowdown problems, it will be for the configuration but no known changes on the performance, and it is in autopilot mode, so it doesn't have to be problematic.
I use OsArmor on laptop with WD, it's excellent but I haven't tried it if it creates conflicts in Kaspersky.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.