Devjit Dutta Security Config

Devjit Dutta

Thread author
Jun 20, 2016
Hello everyone. I am new to this forum and I have heard a lot about this site and how helpful you guys are. Recently I bought a new HDD and so has to reinstall Windows. Currently these are the products I am using. My Windows is fully updated and my browsing habits are fairly decent since I never click on unknown links or open unknown attachments. This is primarily my gaming rig and I also use it for some online shopping from websites. So I don't want to slow down my PC. Is the above config okay for me? I was thinking of adding sandboxie but I think Shadow Defender is enough. Also do I really need Zemana Antilogger and WinPatrol because I was thinking that ESET Smart Security and Shadow Defender may be enough? Just trying to keep my config as light as possible. Also SuperAntispyware never seems to find anything other than tracking cookes, so I am thinking of uninstalling it. Is it worth to keep Malwarebytes as an on-demand scanner? I have a home router through which all my computers are connected. All your suggestions are welcome guys.

Rishi

Level 19
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 3, 2015
Welcome and Nice config!

On your security config I would like to suggest a few changes, ESS 9 already has an option for interactive HIPS so I do not see much need for WinPatrol, Zemana Antilogger free also, if you want system wide protection, ESS banking mode covers that already during online shopping... so instead of these software you can add an antimalware layer( Zemana, Malwarebytes, Reasoncore, etc) Be sure to check out the MalwareTips Zemana antimalware giveaway!

On demand scanners you can have additional ones as these do not need to have real time protection, replace SuperAntiSpyware with Emsisoft emergency kit, Zemana AM free, HitmanPro.(all these are available as portable)

I would also like to see you use a third party password manager like LastPass or KeePass, as they are much more secure than inbuilt browser one with sqlite database.A site advisor addon like Bitdefender trafficlight or WOT would not hurt as well.

If it is your gaming rig, why not SSD instead of HDD? You would immediately see the difference, also adding a defragmentation software could enhance the performance. Auslogics or WiseCare, Puran are good and free(again portable versions available)

Thanks for sharing.:)

Last edited:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
@Devjit Dutta Mod Edit Notes: Include username in title.

Software like Dropbox and Macrium Reflect may load on boot, so if they are not essential, you can disable from startup and run on-demand.

SuperAntiSpyware may no longer be required for on-demand scanning but they do have some Windows repair tools, so something to consider before uninstalling. Tracking cookies are harmless and safe to ignore. Cookies can hold login data to sites, so if you want, exclude them using CCleaner.

For many people Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is sufficient for on-demand scans, but if you are looking for a second opinion scanner, look up Zemana AntiMalware (FREE). As Zemana offers a paid Premium version, a background service will be installed into Services.

What are you current thoughts about upgrading to Windows 10 Home?

You can upgrade for FREE before the end of July, otherwise it's RRP - How to Upgrade to Windows 10 - Microsoft

Benefits to upgrading:
- System-wide Smartscreen protection
- Built-in Antivirus, Windows Defender
- Cortana, OneNote, Windows 10 Apps
- Upcoming features in Anniversary Update

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I would consider removing SAS in favor of one or two better on demand scanners
I would consider a 3rd party password manager also
Definitely give some thought to upgrading to Windows 10 before the end of July
All in all a good config! Thanks for sharing it with us :)

Gdant

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Dec 6, 2014
Remove SAS, add zemana anti-malware..
It better to keep Zemana antilogger as it always protect but by eset antilogger is on during its banking module is active.
Sandboxie is powerful if it is customised, so it depends on you usage.
From my point, If you want web protection from browsers and visit unknown sites, then use sandboxie or if you want virtualization to full pc, if you do some random things with your pc, then use shadow defender.
I recommend not to use both sandboxie and shadow defender as it is only waste of resources by turning on both protection.

Devjit Dutta

Thread author
Jun 20, 2016
You guys are so wonderful people. Thank you for all the advises. I downloaded Emsisoft Emergency Kit and Hitman Pro and uninstalled WinPatrol and Antilogger Free. They are very good tools and I can see that they are portable as they can be run from USB Drives. Regarding Zemana Antologger Premium and Reason Core security, which one should I install for realtime protection ? or should I skip these two and upgrade Malwarebytes Free to PREMIUM ? I will be adding lastpass and WOT to my chrome extensions. Macrium Reflect service is already set to manual and I have dropbox disabled in startup. And as for defragmentation, I have Windows set up to auto defrag every Wednesday. Regarding SSD, I have plans to purchase one in a couple of months. Since I am still a student, I have to save enough before buying one.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
strong config.

about sandboxie vs shadow defender: the virtue of sandboxie is it protects your system in the here and now, although the protection is not nearly as all-encompassing as shadow defender.
the virtue of shadow defender: it will get rid of anything good or bad that happened, as soon as you reboot. But until you reboot, malware has a free hand to do whatever it wants, and this includes stealing personal data and sending it to the bad guys. It could also encrypt your files, and this will sync to dropbox and make you a mess.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
I would choose Reason Core Devjit, due to the extra tools included, it's a solid software.
Thanks for sharing buddy.
PeAcE

Reactions: Devjit Dutta

Devjit Dutta

Thread author
Jun 20, 2016
I have added WOT and LastPass and created an account. Also I just installed ReasonCore and Zemana Antimalware. Both of them says trial version and will expire after 30 days. So that means that I have to buy those programs. I also noticed that Hitman Pro is also 30 days trial as it said after the scan. And how is this RX Rollback Home ? It claims to create snapshot and revert back in case of any problem. And as for Windows 10, my laptop has it and I am using it, but I don't know for some reason to me, 7 is the best OS till now. :)

N

Noxx

I have added WOT and LastPass and created an account. Also I just installed ReasonCore and Zemana Antimalware. Both of them says trial version and will expire after 30 days. So that means that I have to buy those programs. I also noticed that Hitman Pro is also 30 days trial as it said after the scan. And how is this RX Rollback Home ? It claims to create snapshot and revert back in case of any problem. And as for Windows 10, my laptop has it and I am using it, but I don't know for some reason to me, 7 is the best OS till now. :)

Don't forget to register for the Zemana AntiMalware giveaway if you haven't already! RX Rollback Home is really nice. It's like a much better version of Windows System Restore.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
RX Rollback Home is great, but it can make your system unbootable after certain windows updates, so you need to have a regular system image on hand.
and if you play around with partitions or other on-the-metal changes, it also can make your system unbootable.
and it might also interfere with TRIM operation, if you have a SSD.
But if you can live with it, it is great.

Reactions: DardiM

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
Add Zemana Ant-Malware for scanning other than that use the knowledge the others gave you. Also I giggly recommend upgrading to Windows 10 the "spying" is baloney and if your really paranoid you can easily turn off some of the data collection options. :)

Devjit Dutta

Thread author
Jun 20, 2016
Yes everyone I followed you advise and added some programs while removing some. I will be updating my list shortly. Just one last question-one of my friends suggested using ReHips and SpywareBlaster. Should I add these two, specially ReHips, since I already have the HIPS of ESET Smart Security set to SMART MODE. And please forgive me but I don't like Windows 10 at all. I love the AERO interface of Windows 7. I am not concerned about the spying of Win 10 but I massively hate the forced automatic updates since I cannot choose which updates I want to install. :(

DardiM

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
Thanks for sharing your Security Config :)

Last edited:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Great configuration out there.

Follow those important advice.

You have ESS which is indeed a good internet suite also you have enough on demand scanners.

Make sure the setup of your programs should not sacrifice from your productivity task.

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
Yes everyone I followed you advise and added some programs while removing some. I will be updating my list shortly. Just one last question-one of my friends suggested using ReHips and SpywareBlaster. Should I add these two, specially ReHips, since I already have the HIPS of ESET Smart Security set to SMART MODE. And please forgive me but I don't like Windows 10 at all. I love the AERO interface of Windows 7. I am not concerned about the spying of Win 10 but I massively hate the forced automatic updates since I cannot choose which updates I want to install. :(

Out or curiosity any member can answer this for me. I understand possible software malfunctions due to updates but in general wouldn't it be for the best to update automatically? What's the benefit to choosing? Not trying to single you out @Devjit Dutta :)

Devjit Dutta

Thread author
Jun 20, 2016
Out or curiosity any member can answer this for me. I understand possible software malfunctions due to updates but in general wouldn't it be for the best to update automatically? What's the benefit to choosing? Not trying to single you out @Devjit Dutta :)
Actually I said it the wrong way....in Windows 7 I can choose the updates I want to install and I skip the drivers update from Microsoft as well as the optional updates. But I had problems with Win 10 before after it had updated my Nvidia Driver my PC went into a bootloop. And sorry for the delayed response guys, just returned home after giving Maths exam.

Devjit Dutta

Thread author
Jun 20, 2016
Today I had a long chat with a friend of mine. He recommended me to use Hostsblock and to change from ESET Smart Security to Nod32 Antivirus with Comodo Firewall. What are your opinions about these two?

AlphaBeta

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Oct 24, 2015
Today I had a long chat with a friend of mine. He recommended me to use Hostsblock and to change from ESET Smart Security to Nod32 Antivirus with Comodo Firewall. What are your opinions about these two?
Well the difference is ESS would block malicious websites and Comodo Firewall wouldn't. It's better to stick to ESS.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.