https://malwaretips.com/threads/devjits-gaming-pc.86224/

Wraith

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
This is my gaming PC guys. This PC will only be used for playing games and nothing else will be done. So I need to keep it as light as possible. I never download from unknown websites and never download attachments from unknown emails. Since this is a gaming PC, it does not contain any personal information except games. I take backups of all important files in my external hard disk.

Last edited:

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Thanks for the share mate! Suggestions:

-Add uBlock Origin to the browser
-Add HTTPS Everywhere to the browser
-You can add OSArmor if you feel like :)
-PatchMyPC can help you update your software and games automatically and in the background
-Configure ESET to maximum protection (no performance issues). I share with you my configuration file.

UPLOAD.EE - config_eset.xml - Download

Thanks again for posting your config :)

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
LDoggs recommended advice.

1. Make sure everything is on auto-update. This should include your AV, system utilities & web browser as important focal points.
This also includes but not limited to Microsoft Office, web browser extension(s)/plugins & more
2. Use an AV w/ on demand scanners. I would recommend Windows Defender for the normal home user, or if you are not confident enough you could use something stronger such as Kaspersky Free or Sophos Home Free.
With on demand scanners I would suggest to use Zemana Anti-Malware Free & Emsisoft Emergency Kit.
3. Make sure your passwords are not easily guessable. Make sure they're strong. Alpha-numerical always helps. You can also use a Password Manager such as Keepass or Lastpass.
4. Encrypt everything (optional). Use something like Veracrypt if you wish to encrypt data for security purposes. This is to prevent any thief that's stolen your device(s) from gaining access to critical data.
5. Never ever leave your computer unattended ANYWHERE. Always make sure it's in sight or with you at all times. You never know who might be trying to gain access or steal it.
6. Always look at the URLs of emails which are sent to you. Websites will never ask for you personal details in emails. Never open emails attachments from recipients you do not know or trust. Always look at the spellings of emails too. Professional companies do not tend to have back punctuation & spelling.
7. Browsing habits, always look at the URL before you enter a site. If it looks dodgy or something doesn't look right it most likely isn't. eg; paypail.com, instead of paypal.com
8. Backup is essential to any security setup. Make sure to back up all important & personal data. This can be done weekly or monthly
9. Be careful when downloading software. Most adblocking extension stop this from adverts.
10. Never ever use pirate software or download from pirate sites, 9/10 it'll be virus infected.
11. Never install or download anything you aren't looking for.
12. Extensions I would recommend for real time protection: Netcraft + Malwarebytes
13. Nano Adblocker or uBlock Origin are amazing adblocking extensions
14. Always bookmark legitimate sites you frequently use especially banking sites. This helps you to stop falling prey to the fake & rogue sites
posing as the authentic one.

Hope the above helps you in some way!

~LDogg

Wraith

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
Thanks for the share mate! Suggestions:

-Add uBlock Origin to the browser
-Add HTTPS Everywhere to the browser
-You can add OSArmor if you feel like :)
-PatchMyPC can help you update your software and games automatically and in the background
-Configure ESET to maximum protection (no performance issues). I share with you my configuration file.

UPLOAD.EE - config_eset.xml - Download

Thanks again for posting your config :)
Wow man....thanks a lot for sharing your settings.

Wraith

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
I added OSArmor. I am also trying out a 30 days trial of Hitmanpro.Alert. What do you guys think about that? Will it work alongside ESET? I also used hard_configurator to block scripts, powershell and all those stuff.

Reactions: harlan4096

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
I added OSArmor. I am also trying out a 30 days trial of Hitmanpro.Alert. What do you guys think about that? Will it work alongside ESET? I also used hard_configurator to block scripts, powershell and all those stuff.
Redundant tbh. ESET well configured + OSArmor should be enough. Remember the more software you add, the bigger attack surface.

Wraith

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
Redundant tbh. ESET well configured + OSArmor should be enough. Remember the more software you add, the bigger attack surface.
Rightly said mate. Uninstalled HitmanPro.Alert. Currently running ESET IS, NVT Exe Radar Pro and NVT OSArmor. So far, I am liking the ERP better than the OSArmor. Is there any reason to keep OSArmor with ERP? Or should I uninstall OSArmor and keep ERP only. I prefer having the setup as light at possible since I mainly game on this PC.

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Rightly said mate. Uninstalled HitmanPro.Alert. Currently running ESET IS, NVT Exe Radar Pro and NVT OSArmor. So far, I am liking the ERP better than the OSArmor. Is there any reason to keep OSArmor with ERP? Or should I uninstall OSArmor and keep ERP only. I prefer having the setup as light at possible since I mainly game on this PC.
It depends strictly on you. OSA acts like a post exploit app, meaning once infection/exploit tried to take place, it will be blocked upon the given rules. For example if it tries to use rundll32.exe for infecting. OSA will not act if threats is either never downloaded (safe habits) or never executed (stopped by Exe Radar Pro). If you do not manually accept everything ERP blocks, and you only execute trusted files, then OSA becomes redundant.

Wraith

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
It depends strictly on you. OSA acts like a post exploit app, meaning once infection/exploit tried to take place, it will be blocked upon the given rules. For example if it tries to use rundll32.exe for infecting. OSA will not act if threats is either never downloaded (safe habits) or never executed (stopped by Exe Radar Pro). If you do not manually accept everything ERP blocks, and you only execute trusted files, then OSA becomes redundant.
Thanks for explaining how they both work. Looks like I'm gonna keep both. For some reason, after I installed HitmanPro.Alert, Chrome became very unresponsive and stayed that way even after I uninstalled HMPA. So I reset Chrome back to defaults disabling all extensions. Can you suggest me the basic extensions that I should add to Chrome for protection? I don't want to overload Chrome with too many extensions.

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

So I reset Chrome back to defaults disabling all extensions. Can you suggest me the basic extensions that I should add to Chrome for protection? I don't want to overload Chrome with too many extensions.

Chrome built in protection is very good. It's a fairly secure browser and is updated often. In terms of extensions your right, you don't want to go overboard as it may cause more issues than good. Usually, if anything, adding an adblocker of some sort (ublock origin, adguard, etc..) and your password manager should suffice assuming you practice safe browsing habits. ESET has very good web protection already, so IMO between that, the built in protection in Chrome and an adblocker you will be well protected. As I mentioned, no amount of extensions will keep you safe if you practice unsafe habits.

Wraith

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
Chrome built in protection is very good. It's a fairly secure browser and is updated often. In terms of extensions your right, you don't want to go overboard as it may cause more issues than good. Usually, if anything, adding an adblocker of some sort (ublock origin, adguard, etc..) and your password manager should suffice assuming you practice safe browsing habits. ESET has very good web protection already, so IMO between that, the built in protection in Chrome and an adblocker you will be well protected. As I mentioned, no amount of extensions will keep you safe if you practice unsafe habits.
You are right about this. After I reset Chrome, I only installed uBlock Origin and nothing else.

Wraith

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
Just one last question everyone. Since I am very careful while working online and I rather have the approach that Prevention is Better than Cure, do I really need these online scanners? Since this is my gaming PC, I don't want to make it bloated by installing too much security softwares. Currently I have Malwarebytes, Zemana and Emsisoft Emergency Kit but I am thinking about uninstalling ZAM and MBAM. What are your opinions about this? If you do recommend a backup scanner, which one should I keep?

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

Just one last question everyone. Since I am very careful while working online and I rather have the approach that Prevention is Better than Cure, do I really need these online scanners? Since this is my gaming PC, I don't want to make it bloated by installing too much security softwares. Currently I have Malwarebytes, Zemana and Emsisoft Emergency Kit but I am thinking about uninstalling ZAM and MBAM. What are your opinions about this? If you do recommend a backup scanner, which one should I keep?

Having on-demand scanners won't hurt your system in any way as they have no real-time protection running in the background. These are primarily used to get a second opinion in the event you feel like something is wrong (ie: suspect malware) or just want to do a double check to ensure your system in clean. Since they don't run in the background, you can have as many or as little of them as you like. One thing you will have to answer for yourself is: do you plan on running them every so often to check your system, or would you rather only run them if you suspect something is wrong? There really is no right or wrong answer to that question, it will really come down to what you prefer to do. Personally I don't use any of them unless I feel like something is wrong, but that's me and my preference, others may prefer to scan their systems once a week and that's totally fine too.

Another option to consider if you want to keep them, but don't want to install them on your computer is to get portable versions of some of these scanners and store them on a USB stick. If you want to run a scan afterwards, just insert the USB and run them directly off the USB. Not all on-demand scanners have portable versions, but some examples are; Emsisoft Emergency Kit, Zemana and Norton Power Eraser (there are others, I just can't remember them all haha). All of these can be run directly off a USB stick (Zemana has a separate portable version that you have to download, but its the same product, just doesn't required an install).

In terms of which ones to recommend/use, they all have their strengths and weakness, some are stronger at catching certain malware, some are stronger at catching PUP's, etc. As I mentioned above since they don't run in the background, they won't cause any conflicts, so you can have as many of them as you like(y)

Also you are absolutely right, as the old saying goes "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure." :)

Reactions: Wraith

slash/

Level 6
Verified
Jun 24, 2018
My gaming PC has no on-demand scanners installed. I have a USB with removal tools, as well as other devices to download removal tools externally. On-demand scanners do not prevent or mitigate, they remove -- that's it. Save yourself the hard drive space for a $2 indie game from steam.

Wraith

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
Thanks for the help guys. I have Emsisoft Emergency kit and zemana antimalware portable which I have kept in my external HDD. I uninstalled malwarebytes.

Reactions: ForgottenSeer 72227

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.