https://malwaretips.com/threads/devjits-work-laptop.86179/

Wraith

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
Hello there security experts. I am new to this forum and am looking forward to have a wonderful discussion with you all. It would be extremely helpful if you all gave me some tips and recommendations for my two new computers. The first one is a gaming desktop and the second one is my college laptop. I am currently doing my post graduation course and for my projects I have bought myself a new laptop. The laptop will be containing many important college documents which I regularly backup to an external drive that remains disconnected except during the backup. I need to secure my laptop as much as possible and so I am looking for a proactive defense rather than reactive. I am specially scared of those ransomwares. My old laptop was seven years old, running Windows 7 and Eset NOD32 Antivirus as my only security solution. This new laptop came preinstalled with DOS. However I did a clean install of Windows 10 using the ISO from the Microsoft Website.
I do not install any softwares on this laptop except for some basic utilities like winrar, teamviewer and WPS office. Besides this I never download from untrusted web pages, I do not use torrent and never download attachments from unknown emails. So guys is my security setup okay ? Suggestions and advice are always welcome :)

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 72227

Overall great setup, you have all the bases covered. You already practice safe habits while online so I think you are all set! I know you mentioned that you were afraid of ransomware, but the key to ransomware is backup, backup, backup and you already have that covered (y) In the event you were ever to get hit, as long as you keep up with your backups, all you really lost is time to restore Windows:)

Wraith

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
I uninstalled Ransomoff since it was having some issues. One thing I noticed is that unlike voodooshield and comodo Internet security, osarmor does not seem to have any type of self protection. It can easily be killed using task manager. Thanks everyone for taking time and replying.

Wraith

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
Instead of ransomoff I am now using a trial of hitmanpro.Alert. So far I am liking it since it shields my browsers.

Reactions: harlan4096

Wraith

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
Thank you everyone for your advice and suggestions. I have just one last question. I have uninstalled all except Comodo Internet Security and malwarebytes. I have the malwarebytes premium trial and so far I am impressed with its web protection which blocked a couple of sites. Comodo does not have this feature of blocking bad websites. I am thinking about buying 1 year subscription of malwarebytes premium. What are your opinions on this? Will Comodo and Malwarebytes coexist peacefully with each other? So far I have not run into any issues.

Reactions: ForgottenSeer 72227
F

ForgottenSeer 72227

Thank you everyone for your advice and suggestions. I have just one last question. I have uninstalled all except Comodo Internet Security and malwarebytes. I have the malwarebytes premium trial and so far I am impressed with its web protection which blocked a couple of sites. Comodo does not have this feature of blocking bad websites. I am thinking about buying 1 year subscription of malwarebytes premium. What are your opinions on this? Will Comodo and Malwarebytes coexist peacefully with each other? So far I have not run into any issues.

Good job sliming down and keeping your setup simple. I have a soft spot for Malwarebytes, but right now it's not what it use to be. I'm hoping they will bounce one day, but right now I don't think it's worth it. Comodo is sufficient by it's self, especially if it's configured correctly. Since you use safe browsing habits I think you should be fine. Also keep in mind that Chrome has its own protection that's built in and it's very effective. That being said, if you feel like you need/want something else for web protection, you can also look into some browser add-ons which are free. Some examples are Malwarebytes web extension, Windows defender browser protection and there are others to choose from. Personally if you practice safe habits, the built in protections should be enough after that Comodo will cover the rest.

Last edited by a moderator:

gin

Level 7
Verified
Jan 16, 2014
i think malwarebytes extension have same web protection capabilities

Wraith

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
Thank you everyone for your opinions. Now I will complete my gaming setup tomorrow since I have the weekends off. This forum is so helpful. I will post the security config of my gaming build once I finish building it and installing windows. I have bought a 1 year license of Eset Internet Security for that build and I will be going with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. Once again thank you everyone for your suggestions.

Wraith

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
Sorry guys but I've got some bad news. I just restarted my laptop after completing a windows update and it has started bluescreening with the error inaccessible boot device. Do you guys think it to be a conflict between Comodo and Windows update? Tonight's gonna be a long one for me. (sigh)

Reactions: Sunshine-boy

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Sorry guys but I've got some bad news. I just restarted my laptop after completing a windows update and it has started bluescreening with the error inaccessible boot device. Do you guys think it to be a conflict between Comodo and Windows update? Tonight's gonna be a long one for me. (sigh)
You can go manually install comodo, but choose the repair option. If it is ableable to found something?

I had problem with cis, causing computer to shutdown during full scan. Repair option found nothing, but reinstall solved the problem

Reactions: Wraith

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
As with the above I would either go with ESET or CIS. The rest of you original config was very overkill.

LDoggs recommended advice.

1. Make sure everything is on auto-update. This should include your AV, system utilities & web browser as important focal points.
This also includes but not limited to Microsoft Office, web browser extension(s)/plugins & more
2. Use an AV w/ on demand scanners. I would recommend Windows Defender for the normal home user, or if you are not confident enough you could use something stronger such as Kaspersky Free or Sophos Home Free.
With on demand scanners I would suggest to use Zemana Anti-Malware Free & Emsisoft Emergency Kit.
3. Make sure your passwords are not easily guessable. Make sure they're strong. Alpha-numerical always helps. You can also use a Password Manager such as Keepass or Lastpass.
4. Encrypt everything (optional). Use something like Veracrypt if you wish to encrypt data for security purposes. This is to prevent any thief that's stolen your device(s) from gaining access to critical data.
5. Never ever leave your computer unattended ANYWHERE. Always make sure it's in sight or with you at all times. You never know who might be trying to gain access or steal it.
6. Always look at the URLs of emails which are sent to you. Websites will never ask for you personal details in emails. Never open emails attachments from recipients you do not know or trust. Always look at the spellings of emails too. Professional companies do not tend to have back punctuation & spelling.
7. Browsing habits, always look at the URL before you enter a site. If it looks dodgy or something doesn't look right it most likely isn't. eg; paypail.com, instead of paypal.com
8. Backup is essential to any security setup. Make sure to back up all important & personal data. This can be done weekly or monthly
9. Be careful when downloading software. Most adblocking extension stop this from adverts.
10. Never ever use pirate software or download from pirate sites, 9/10 it'll be virus infected.
11. Never install or download anything you aren't looking for.
12. Extensions I would recommend for real time protection: Netcraft + Malwarebytes
13. Nano Adblocker or uBlock Origin are amazing adblocking extensions
14. Always bookmark legitimate sites you frequently use especially banking sites. This helps you to stop falling prey to the fake & rogue sites
posing as the authentic one.

Hope this all helps. It's a very friendly & positive place here.

~LDogg

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
I like this setup. If you can afford it, grab a Pro license so you can have access to Group Policy. Unlike registry, Group policy changes persist through upgrades so you won't have to reapply all your tweaks every Spring and Fall. (y)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.